Status: In process. Kind of slow but getting there. :D

I Was Always a Biter

14. Risk Taker

-x-x-x-x-
Gabe's POV

I sat outside of Ashley's door to make sure she was no longer upset. People say I don't have feelings, when in reality, I do.

I do feel bad that I'm keeping her from her life, but it's a vampire's lifestyle. Kill, trade, use and bribe. That's what we used humans for.

I long for my old life. When I was 25, not the immortal being I am now. Living forever isn't as pleasant as it sounds. I had a family once and lost it. All because of what I've become. An animal.

Ryland passed me by in the hallway and stopped, "Gabe, you alright?"

I nodded, "Just swell."

He sat down next to me, "There's something wrong. Is it the girl?"

"It's everything."

"Define everything, Gabe. I can't read your mind."

I glared at him. I hated being talked to like that. He held up his hands in the air defensively, "Sorry, didn't mean it like that, but really. Just tell me what's going on."

"You remember Jess right?"

"Alpha?"

I nodded.

"What about her?"

I shook my head, "I miss her. She was a great partner and a great friend."

"Did you ever find out what happened to her?", he asked me.

"No, for all I know she's out and about running the streets. I wouldn't doubt she has her own clan now."

"Oh."

"Ryland, don't you have something to do?"

He shook his head, "Nope."

"Well go find something.", I sat up and headed away from him. I was going out to feed. Talking about Jess always made me frustrated and I would go to take it out on humans, which didn't bother me one bit.

-x-x-x-x-x-
Ashley's POV

Honestly, Gabe wasn't half bad. I mean he wasn't the one that took me from my home in the first place. I think William was the one I had to look out for. I got up from the bed and set the bag of M&Ms on the end table. I hated chocolate, but I didn't want to make Gabe feel bad. Right, yeah, make him feel bad.

I worry too much about other people, rather then worry about myself for once.

I never was getting out of here.

I walked over to the window to see the view of Chicago, so many people. I looked at the pathway which led to the house. Gabe was leaving. This was my chance and I was damn well going to take it.

Well, I got the door open, which was a surprise to me. I wonder why he hadn't locked it. I ventured into the hallway, no one. This was too easy. I got halfway down the stairs leading to the main room, there were many of Gabe's men in there. I had to be quick or find another way out. I decided to take a chance.

I ran down the stairs into the hallway to the door, I could hear the men shouting at me. I didn't look back once. I made it out the door and continued running, until I ran smack into someone.

It was a guy. He grabbed onto me and kept running, "Don't ask questions. We need to get you somewhere safe."

We continued running for about four blocks, "Gabe's out here. I saw him leave."

"Then we need to move fast."

We finally got into an apartment. It was very old, most likely one no one has renovated in years. It must've been this guys hide out, "Who are you?"

"Pete Wentz."

"And how did you find me?", I questioned him.

"You ran into me. I'm a vampire hunter. We came there as an ambush. There's many of us and when I saw you I knew you weren't a vampire. Most likely one of Gabe's trade girls. Or one of the ones he just likes to fuck with. May I ask, how did you manage to get there?", He asked me while looking out the window-probably for Gabe or Gabe's men.

"I was taken from my home. By some gang leader William Beckett. What do you mean vampires? And vampire hunters?"

He looked over at me and didn't blink, "Honey, for living in Chicago, I don't know how you don't know about vampires", he shook his head, "And that's no gang leader. He's one of the strongest male vampires in the U.S, along with Gabe. Take a seat, you have a lot to learn."

This was going to be a long night.
**************
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter by Ashley

Ah! Two chapters in two days! Isn't that awesome?

Thanks for reading.

Please comment and subscribe. :D