Status: Updated biweekly

Used to Love 'Em

Chapter Nine

“You called for the taxi?” The man asked in a gruff tone, he was nothing like the other taxi driver the one that had dropped him off. This man seemed harder than him. Rougher around the edges, yes that was the words that would use to describe him, rough around the edges.

“”Yes that was me; I need a ride to the Indianapolis airport.” Axl replied as he toyed with the handle of his suite case looking at the taxi driver who raised his eyebrows.

“Yeah well that’s quite the drive, and I’d be happy to give you that ride if I knew that you were in fact going to pay me.” The driver replied as Axl shot him a look, he did not think Axl was going to pay him, of course Axl was, he needed to pay him, yes needed or else the cops would be after him and that was one step closer to getting him caught.

“I will pay, don’t worry.” Axl said as the drive gave him a “do you think I am stupid?” look, Axl shrugged his shoulders as he dug around for his wallet. “I will pay you half now and the other half when I get to the airport, how does that sound?” Axl said after a moment, the driver give him a triumph look as he popped the trunk of the car.

“Sounds great. Happy to be of service.” He said in a brisk tone as Axl heaved his luggage into the trunk and slammed it shut before he proceeded to take the few steps around and got into the back seat, slamming the door shut. “Half of my payment first.” The driver said as Axl dug through his wallet finding the right amount off bills that he handed over. The taxi driver recounted them not once but two times before he finally put the car into first gear and began to drive away. Hurry up! Drive faster! Axl wanted to scream at him but instead he shuffled his feet around and pout his black knap sack beside him before pulling his seat belt over his shoulder and clicking it into its buckle.

“So are you from around here?” The driver said as he took a left and they passed Lafayette high school, Axl shot a long glance out of the window, trying to make as many details in as he could. He did not know when it would be back, if he would ever be back. Axl shook his head.

“No I’m not, I was just here for a business trip. “ He replied, after all if he had lied the first time, he would have to keep it up. Nothing worse than getting your stories mixed up. “Are you from around here?” Axl asked as he tried to keep the conversation alive. The drive also shook his head.

“Me? From around here?” He scoffed, obviously the answer to that question was no. A big fat solid no. “Me from around here? No I’m from Indianapolis, born and raised there.” He said proudly as Axl tried his best to hide a frown, sure Lafayette was not the ideal place to be from, but it could be much worse, at least Lafayette was a semi close knit community, okay that was a lie. It was no-where near a close knit community but there was not a whole lot of crime and all that garbage, like in LA, or even Indianapolis.

“I see, how are those Colts doing?” Axl asked with a laugh, It was the Indianapolis Colts right? That was there football team; at least he thought he had gotten the name right. With luck he had. The driver laughed, another sinister thing.

“They’ll be okay those season, we’re gonna win the super bowl, just watch.” He said as he flashed Axl a smile from the mirror, Axl returned the smile. He had no idea what he was talking about. No idea about anything football related, no in the least.

“No just watch, the Chargers, they’re gonna win it all, just wait and see.” Axl replied, Chargers right? That was San Diego’s team, because Los Angles did not have a team, did they? Axl did not think so, he was sure that they did not, it had been sold off over ten years ago, and that was at least not mentioning that Axl was not one for football, he did not care for it at all.

“Yeah okay, you can keep dreaming, San Diego had no idea what they’re doing at all.” The driver said with a laugh, as if San Diego would not have a chance of winning ever. Axl laughed along with him, mostly because he was probably right, Axl had no idea what he was talking about. Maybe LA did have a team? “So you from around there then San Diego? The driver asked after he had finished his little chuckling fit, Axl shot a look around, they were nearly out of Lafayette now, it sure hadn’t taken them that long, or maybe it was because Axl’s step father and mother had lived on the very outskirts of Lafayette.

“LA actually.” Axl replied correcting him as the driver nodded his head.

“I see, I’ve been there a time or two, never quite gotten a feel for it though, and never liked it very much.” He answered honestly as Axl merely shrugged his shoulders.

“Well it definitely isn’t a place for everyone, that’s for sure.” Axl replied truthfully, it was not a place for everyone. Only a few select people would live there, a few thousands, it took time to grow used to LA, to grow used to the bright lights and the gun shots that sometimes echoed throughout the city, followed by the sirens. It had indeed taken Axl quite a few years to get used to it, and even now he still was not used to it. He was comfortable but not used to it.

“No that is for sure, they say that New York City never sleeps, obviously they haven’t been to LA.” The driver joked as Axl laughed along with him. In a sense it was true, not extremely true but it had a glimpse of the truth. There was always someone up in LA, especially on the Strip, that was the real part of the city that never slept.

“Yep that’s right, LA is awake.” Axl replied, not agreeing with the man, but not outright disagreeing with him either. They were out of Lafayette now along with the other hundreds if not thousands of cars that were around them. “What time is it?” Axl asked as the driver looked at his clock that was on the front dash.

“It is twelve thirty, by the time we get to the airport in Indianapolis it’ll be one—thirty, two perhaps at the latest if the traffic is bad.” The driver replied in what sounded like a bored tone. He probably was bored, after all this did consist of what most of his days were, driving people from one location to the next, never stopping, never staying on one place for a long period of time, always travelling.

“Sounds good.” Axl said as he made himself comfortable in the seat, it did not seem like the taxi driver was in a good mood at the moment, or a especially talkative mood at that moment, which meant it was going to be a long ride. A very long and silent one indeed

An hour and fifteen minutes later...

“Well we’re at the airport as promised, traffic wasn’t that bad.” The driver said as Axl woke from his stupor, he had been staring out the window trying to take in everything that was outside anything that would keep him entertained, counting the different color cars, thinking of the piano notes to November Rain and Estranged, trying to list off all the concerts that he had been too, all the ones he had ever performed. He actually surprisingly remembered most of them, if not all of them.

“Alright and how much do I owe you?” Axl asked as the man shut off the engine and Axl undid his seatbelt and fetched his wallet out of pocket, it was almost empty, or it was getting there pretty fast, but that was because he had been paying things in cash, he was not using his credit cards, he did not want to use his credit cards because that was one more thing that other people could track, other people like the police. Luckily he had more money in his bag, a whole bunch of rolled up bills, he hadn’t even needed to take them out of the bank. He had a safe in his house, just in case, you never knew how desperate and how smart some people were.. And you never knew how easy it was to get into someone else’s bank account. He counted out the bills before handing them to the taxi driver as he popped open the trunk. Axl watched carefully as he got out of the vehicle, getting his backpack out of the seat next to him and slinging it back over his shoulder and walked to the back fetching his suitcase. It was nearly two o’clock in the afternoon, hopefully a plane was heading back to California, LA specifically leaving quite soon, he also hoped that there was a bathroom very close nearby, because he hadn’t gone to the bathroom in even hours and he was more or less feeling like he was about to explode, not to mention he had to change and get the crap off his face. He would buy his plane ticket and then go to the bathroom before he went through the security gates. That way they would not be able to match a face to who had bought the ticket. It would be perfect; his plan was working out perfectly.

“Thanks for the extra; I really need the gas money!” The driver called out the window as he started the car and began to drive away. Axl picked up his suite case and began to walk towards the front doors of the airport. Now to buy a ticket, find a bathroom and get his ass home. That would be a piece of cake considering what he had just done. He slipped almost unnoticed into the airport and dragging his luggage behind him he made a right and went straight to the desk where he presumed that people could buy their tickets at the last minute if they needed too. There it was he could see it up ahead, it had a huge sign with black writing it read Express Ticket Sales.

‘Hi I’m needing to buy a ticket, the first flight that goes straight down to LA and one that leaves as soon as possible. The sooner the better.” Axl said as he looked around, he was beginning to get paranoid now the paranoia was sitting in, once he was on the plane he would be fine, he would be okay, he’d know that he would get away, he’d be fine. He’d be able to relax and maybe get a little sleep, thinking of sleep practically made his eyes convulse. He was tired, practically exhausted, it would be nice for him to get onto the plane, into the nice chairs and be able to just fall asleep for a bit, then he’d get home, make sure Slash was still breathing before going straight to bed, he could practically sleep for a day and a night he was so tired

“Of course sir that’ll be extra though, you know a last minute flight and such.” The lady said as she began to type in furiously, “the next plane for LA leaves in half an hour, you’ll have to rush quite a bit but you’ll be able to make it, and the ticket is it two hundred and fifty seven dollars.” She said as she clicked something and then looked up at him as his jaw hung open. Two hundred plus dollars? That was fucking ridiculous, he had enough though, but still, what a rip off.

“Alright just give me a second, I’m paying in cash.” He said as he glanced at the clock, his plane was leaving in half an hour, and he had to get all this crap off his face, he was going to be in one hell of a rush and that was to stay the least. He tore his backpack off his shoulders and unzipped looking up for the roll of cash that he had out in, of course it was lodged in the bottom of his bag, under everything, his hand slowly felt around for it a victorious grin spreading across his face as he withdrew it. It was a rolls of hundred, fifty and twenty’s maybe there was a few tens in there if he was lucky. He carefully counted out the bills, finding a ten along the way and then handed it over to the woman with glasses; she counted through the bills a few times before putting them into the cash register and giving him his plane ticket. “Have a nice flight.” She said before she looked up and found herself staring at no-one Axl was already long gone. He needed to get to the bathroom and then get rid of his luggage and then get his ass on the plane before it took off...without him.

He found a bathroom and took off into it, leaving his suitcase outside of it. He did not care if someone stole his shit; he had nothing worthwhile in there anyways.

He ran into the closest bathroom stall that was open, ignoring the looks that people were giving him. He locked the door behind him and opened his bag as he squatted down and let the fluids drain from his body, which felt as though he was about to burst. He pulled up his pants and buckled them up as quickly as he possibly could, he did not have time for this. He needed to be quick, quick in quick out. He needed to get on that plan because who knew when the next plane left for LA. He pulled his bag open and brought out the small plastic bag that he had gotten specifically for this purpose. With his nails he slowly dragged them across his face peeling off the silicon and shoving it into the bag, he continued dragging his nails across his face until he brought off all the extra`s that he had put on his face, he would need to wash his face before he left the bathroom, just to make sure that he got all the silicon on his face off. He rubbed his face tiredly with his hands as he took out his colored contacts and out them into the little vial. He would be allowed to bring that onto the plane easily, after all it was less than 100 millilitres and that was the rule for liquids on planes. He rubbed his eyes tiredly; he was not used to wearing contacts and as a result of that his eyes were sore and red and it looked like he had been smoking up quite a bit of pot. He needed to change his shirt too; after all he’d rather not get caught with blood all over his shirt. He tugged his shirt off and pulled another out of his bag and pulled the green shirt that he had packed, just in case out, tugging it over his body and then put the other shirt into the bag of what had previously been on his face back into his bag, he would get rid of it momentarily and then as he flushed the toilet he swung his bag that was hanging open over his shoulder and walked out of the bathroom.

The other men that were in the bathroom stared as Axl threw away the bag of fake skin, he needed to keep his contacts, after all the bloody things were expensive and he was not a fucking millionaire. He washed his hands and put a tiny bit of soap on them before he rinsed them and poured more water into them and splashing it on his face, getting rid of any leftover strands of silicon that happened to be lying on his face. He checked himself out in the mirror, all the silicon, or most of it had come off his face. He turned his head scanning for any pieces that were left over. Surprisingly there was not any. His greasy dirty blonde girls hung limply just touching his shoulders. That would have to do for now, he’d be able to shower once he got home. Home what a wonderful word, it was a comforting word, a word that made him think of back when he was in Hanna, Alberta, the town that he was from, the town that Nickelback had come from. Home it made Chad think of Alberta and the rippling wheat fields.

He left the bathroom as quickly as he could making sure to zip up his back pack and making sure that his passport was in his pocket, so he would not have to stop later at any check point and have to spend time looking for his passport. He made sure to grab his luggage that had been patiently waiting outside the bathroom for him to do his bidding.

Nearly breaking into a full sprint across the airport and upturning the so-called peace in the airport. He reached the place where they scanned your luggage. He already had his passport out and practically threw his luggage on the conveyer belt making the employee who seemed to think it was naptime jump up.

“Hi, I’d like you to scan this damn thing as fucking fast as humanly possible.”Chad said as he showed the lady his passport and flashed a white smile. The lady gave him a look but still abiding by his wishes, attaching the tags and sending it away before muttering a “have a good day sir.” As Chad walked away, trying to spot the security desk as he adjusted his bag on his shoulders. They were starting to get sore, which in reality did not make sense because there was hardly anything in there, just a few sheets of paper and well that was basically it. He approached the line up that was surprisingly short for the security gate, that was exactly was Chad needed, a short line up, because he needed to make the plane, he just needed too. Not to mention it would not be good for his luggage to make the flight and for him to stay behind, not good at all.

As Chad approached the front of the line he grabbed a bin and threw his backpack as well as the gray sweater he was wearing. He also slipped off the three rings that he normally wore as well as necklace that he quickly slipped over his head and out it into the bin. That was everything metallic he had on him. He thought as he checked his pockets and took out his car keys as well as his wallet. Sure they’re might not be anything metallic in them but he did not want to risk anything setting off the alarm. He could not miss this flight. He really couldn’t the guard signalled for him to walk through the gates as his bag went through the scanner, Chad gulped as he walked through. Please don’t beep, please don’t beep, and please don’t beep. He prayed as he walked through the gates. He opened his eyes when he was on the other side; it hadn’t gone off on his. And there was his bag and sweater, on the other side. He was free to go and get on the plane. He grabbed his bag pack and slung it over his shoulder and just picked up his sweater throwing it over his shoulder as he hurriedly picked up his jewellery and shoved it in his pockets, he did not have time to put it on, he’d do that later, on the plane, or better yet when he was home in LA.

Up ahead he could see the terminal. He broke into a jog, his long legs stretching and his backpack bouncing on his shoulders.

“This is the final boarding call for flight eight three one from Indianapolis, Indiana to Los Angeles California.” The announcements called out through the airport as Axl stopped in front of the ticket booth and handed his ticket in, the attendant or whoever was standing behind the desk took it before nodding and letting him go through and onto the plane.
He boarded the plane rather quickly and the plane was quite full, there were only a few seats left He looked at his ticket, which read F-6 that wasn’t that far down. He quickly found his seat and sat down, putting his backpack at his feet and doing up his seat belt which forcing a smile at the old woman who was sitting next to him, she replied with a frown. He turned his head away and looked out the window at the Indianapolis airport it did not look very nice, with a groan he shut the little cover for the window as the old lady let out a huff.

“Is there something I can help you with?” Chad said as he gritted his teeth and turned to face the old lady. She had a few strands of white hair that were covered but a blue toque, a toque that she was wearing on a flight to LA. The skin on her face looked like leather that had been dried long ago.

“No, there’s nothing.” The lady replied as her voice wavered, Chad tried to roll his eyes unnoticeably, which earned him another glare from the little old lady he had managed to sit beside.

“Whatever you say.” He said more to himself then to anyone else.

“We thank you for flying with us today and hope we can provide you with the best service possible. We ask that you now please do up your seatbelts as we will be departing shortly.” The lady over the announcements said as Chad put his head against the window and shut his eyes. He already knew what he was doing; he knew the safety drills that they would be showing as soon as they got off the ground. The last thing he heard was the lady next to him muttering under her breath about “young punks and their attitude” before he managed to drift off into a well deserved sleep.

***
Slash’s eyes fluttered open uneasily, he thought that he had heard footsteps again, the time had passed sluggishly since he had awoken, he had been drifting back and forth between the world of dreams and reality. Right now he preferred his dreams over reality, in his dreams he was invincible, he was the king of everything. In reality he was nothing, he was Slash, the so-called guitar god. And being a guitar god sure did not help when he was stranded in Axl’s basement of all places in the world! Being a guitar god did not help, but being extremely well known for playing guitar helped. Especially when you were kidnapped, abducted, whatever you wanted to call it, it meant that you had plenty of people who could notice your absence. In fact Slash was almost guaranteed to be found soon, after all, someone must have noticed his absence, he had been gone nearly a day, no texts had been sent, no calls had been made, no updates on his Twitter or Facebook. Someone had to know he was missing, whether it was Matt or Duff, when he was supposed to show up at Duff’s house last night to simply hang out and maybe write some music. Or one of his seemingly endless amount of Twitter and Facebook followers. As his eyes slowly shut he thought he heard someone calling him, but he did not care he needed to nap, again....

***
“We thank you for flying with us and we hope you enjoyed your flight. Welcome to LA, California. It is a beautiful 72 degrees outside.” The pilot said as Chad’s eyes fluttered open. They were in LA? Already? But how, he had only just fallen asleep, just thirty seconds ago. He rubbed his eyes tiredly as he undid his seatbelt and lifted his bag putting it on his lap and waiting patiently for the little old lady to leave before he moved. He could relax now, and take all the time that he wanted too, he was home. He was thousands of miles away from Indianapolis, thousands of miles away from the place that wanted him for murder. He was safe now; perfectly safe he could take as much time as he wanted.

He waited as minutes ticked by and as the people began to leave the plane, slowly the plane emptied out and soon Chad was the only one who remained. He silently collected his bag. Making sure that it was zipped up before undoing his seatbelt and silently leaving the plane. Once he was out of the plane and into the airport he felt even more secure. He was at ease, he knew that he was not going to get caught now, he was positive about it.
♠ ♠ ♠
More secrets revealed :P
So what are you guys all thinking?