Older Then Time, Loving Forever

The Philosophers Stone

“Hurry up, Al!” Edward called, “You don’t have to be in such a rush big brother,” Alphonse spoke, “It’s not as if the library has run away,” Armstrong said, “Just hurry up and come on!” Edward was getting all excited.

“We’re finally back in Central!” Edward grinned, “My I’ve never seen you so happy,” you smirked.

When you got out you saw 2 people from the military waiting for you all you recognized both of them, “Major Armstrong, we’ve come to escort you,” Maria smiled, and they both salute the Major. “Thank you, Second Lieutenant Ross, and you as well, Sergeant Brosh.” Armstrong nodded, “Oh, and this must be the Fullmetal Alchemist?” Danny smiled.

You laughed a bit as they introduced themselves to Alphonse, “My name is Maria Ross, and it’s an honor to meet you, sir!” Maria saluted, “Danny Brosh, reporting sir! I can see where you get your nickname! Very dignified!” Danny saluted too.

Alphonse pointed at Edward in the background as you laughed standing next to Armstrong, “Hm? That little guy over there?” Danny spoke. Edward went into a fit of rage, “P-please accept my apologies!!” Maria spoke, “I didn’t mean littler per se… that is…” Danny waved his hands defensively, “Well, I had best head over to Central headquarters to file my report!” Armstrong spoke, “Eh? So this is goodbye!? Thanks for your help. Drop me a postcard sometime. Bye, bye!” Edward waved, “I will miss you as well, my lad!! Ahh, the good times we shared on the road! Until we meet again!” Armstrong gave Edward a bear hug almost crushing him, you giggled a bit and looked out towards the city.

“Well then, I’ll leave him with you,” Armstrong looked at Danny and Maria, “Yes sir!” They both saluted, “Whaat? More bodyguards?” Edward asked, “But of course! According to the reports from Eastern HQ, the assassin known, as ‘Scar’ is still at large, until that situation is resolved, we have been instructed to be your bodyguards. We may not be as dependable as the Major, but we are confident in our ability to guard you, so please feel at ease.” Maria explained.

You followed them to the car then shut the door, Edward rolled down the window, “You not coming Rea?” Edward asked, “I’m not the one in danger so I’m fine by myself, I’m gonna head off with the Major and go sneak into Hughes’ office to say Hi, I’ll let him know you’re here too,” you smiled, Edward looked a little upset, “I wont be gone long silly, don’t get upset,” you smiled, “I wasn’t getting upset!” Edward quickly spoke and looked away folding his arms, “Suuuuuuure,” you leaned in the car with a smug look on your face, “Your annoying, go away,” Edward snapped, you laughed and kissed his cheek, “you love it really,” you joked and waved, “See ya Al, bye Maria and Danny, was nice seeing you again,” you smiled, “Yea, even if it was brief,” Danny smiled, “I’ll catch up with you guys later yea, call me at HQ, I’ll most likely be with Hughes,” you smiled, “Sure,” Alphonse nodded, you looked at Edward and saw he hadn’t moved since you kissed his cheek, “Edward, are you ok?” you asked, “Yea…” Edward was a little high pitched, “Wow… get that pitch sorted Edward,” you joked, “See ya,” you waved as the car pulled away.

* * * Edward’s POV * * *

I sighed as the car pulled away, “So I guess we’re stuck with you two then?” I questioned, “Your meant to say, ‘Thank you for your help’ big brother?” Al looked at me, “Big brother?! So… the person in the armor is the younger brother?” Danny asked, “Yup,” Al replied.

“But why do you wear armor?” Danny asked.

Al and me looked at each other for an answer.

“It’s a hobby.” We both said, unsure of what to actually say, they started whispering with shocked faces as we pulled up at the library, “Hey! There it is!” I hastily pointed out the window.

“Ah, yes. That’s the national central library. It houses more books than any other library in the nation. They say it would take more than a hundred lifetimes to read the entire collection of books contained within. The first branch, where you two are headed, is just to the west of here. Research data, historical records, and lists of names were stored there… however… just yesterday the entire collection was incinerated. We haven’t completed our investigations, but it appears to have been arson.” Maria explained as we looked at the destroyed building.

We were too late…

“Rea would say that’s bad karma,” Al spoke, “Yea… she would,” I sighed, we both knew Rea all to well to know what she would say.

* * * Reaka’s POV * * *

You got to central and knocked on Hughes office door, “Come in,” Hughes said, you opened it, “Hi!” you waved with a big smile on your face, “Hey Rea! Long time no see; have you come to help me out with my paper work? I could sure use the help,” Hughes smiled, “I could do, though I more or less dropped by to says hi really and see how things were going,” you smiled, “Great! Think you could put these on the shelf over there,” Hughes pointed, “Why so much paper work?” you asked, “Well just yesterday the first branch national library burned down yesterday-” “You mean… the Central library?” you asked looking at him in shock, “I just said that…” Hughes looked at you, “That’s bad karma for the boys…” you looked out the window, “boys? Ed and Al are in town?” Hughes asked, “Yea, we just got back, they wanted to find a book in the library for research into getting there bodies back… but… I guess its just bad luck really…” you sighed, “shame really,” Hughes spoke, and you nodded and put the papers on the shelf.

Later Hughes got a phone call and he told you Edward and Alphonse wanted to meet you at the address he gave you.

You waited outside the place and then Edward and Alphonse turned up with Danny and Maria.

“Hey guys,” you smiled, Edward and Alphonse walked up not seeming too happy, “Bad karma about the library boys,” you spoke, “Yea…” Alphonse nodded, “Ahh well… where there’s a will, there’s a way,” you smiled.

Danny knocked on the door a few times, “No answer… Maybe she’s not home?” Danny suggested, “The light’s on, so she should be here.” Edward spoke then opened the door, “Hello…? Whoa! What’s with all the books?!” Edward yelled, “Someone actually lives here?!” Danny was in shock too, as we’re all of you, “Ms. Sheska! Are you here?” Maria called, “Hello?” Danny yelled. “How can someone live with this much clutter?” Alphonse asked.

“…elp…” a tiny voice called.

“Somebody…” it called again.

“Heeeeelp…” the voice called, “Big brother! Rea! Do you hear that?! Someone’s buried under there!!” Alphonse was shocked, “Dig!! Dig!!” Edward yelled and you all thrown the books away from the area you heard the voice.

After you moved them all you saw a young woman in front of you. “Aaaah! I’m sorry, I’m so sorry! I accidentally tipped over the mountain of books… I thought I was going to die under there. Thank you very much!!” the woman thanked you all.

“So er… are you Sheska?” Edward asked, “Yes,” Sheska looked up, “And you worked at the Library?” Edward asked again, Sheska flinched, “Oh the library, the world itself is so beautiful, I’ve loved books my whole entire life, ever since I first learned to read as a girl, that job, was heaven! But I forgot I was supposed to be working and all I ever did was read… so they fired me. If I don’t find another job I will never be able to move my poor elderly mother into a better hospital. But I’m hopeless, the only thing I can do well is read, I’ll never find another job as long as I live! I’m useless, a good for nothing…” Sheska rambled on, “Excuse me, there was one thing we wanted to ask you,” Edward spoke up, “Yes?” Sheska stopped and pointed at her, “Do you remember seeing any research belonging to someone named Tim Marcoh?” Edward asked, “Let’s see, Tim Marcoh, where do I know that name… oh yes! Of course I remember now,” Sheska smiled, “Really?” Edward grinned, “Oh yes, I’m absolutely positive, there was some hand written notes stuffed into a bookcase where they didn’t belong,” Sheska explained, “The notes really were there after all, which means they burned up with everything else in the library,” Edward smiled, “did you want to read them? Is that why you’re asking?” Sheska asked, “Yea, but its too late now, their nothing but ashes,” Edward began to walk off looking upset, “Sorry to bother you,” Alphonse walked away too, you sighed, “Back to the drawing board,” you muttered.

“I remember everything that was in them, would that help at all?” Sheska spoke, Edward and Alphonse suddenly looked at her in shock, “It’s just how I am, and I’m able to remember the contents of any book I’ve ever read. It will take a while but I could write them out for you,” Sheska smiled, “Thank you bookworm!” Edward smiled and Alphonse was in a great mood too, you smiled at their sudden change in attitude.

5 days later…

“Here you are, complete copies of all Tim Marcoh’s notes! Sorry I know 5 days is a long time to wait but there was quite a lot to write down,” Sheska smiled, Edward picked up a few papers, “Unbelievable, there are some amazing people in this world,” Alphonse smiled, “These are really Doctor Marcoh’s research notes?” Edward asked, “They sure are, come and take a look at them, written by Tim Marcoh, 1000 easy recipes’,” Sheska smiled, everybody was in shock except you and Edward.

“6 cups of rice, 1 carrot, 2 onions, salt… oh great… does this mean we came all this way for a cook book?” Maria asked, “Miss, which part of this made you think it was an important document?” Danny asked Sheska, “Is it not what you’re looking for? All I did was copy down what I remembered,” Sheska replied, “Wonderful, so then this was just a wild goose chase?” Danny was disappointed.

“Sheska, are you sure this is a flawless reproduction of the notes?” Edward asked, “Oh yes, I’m 100% certain,” Sheska nodded, “Then thank you very much, your incredible,” Edward smirked with a determined look in his eyes.

“Alright, lets get these back to the library,” Edward picked up a few wads of paper, followed by Al, you picked some off of the table too, “They should have related materials there,” Alphonse spoke and gave some papers to Danny to carry.

You walked past Edward as he stopped which confused you, “Oh, I almost forgot Sheska’s fee,” Edward scribbled down something on a piece of paper from his notebook and gave it to Maria, “Lieutenant, here, this is my registration number and the pocket watch for ID, withdraw that amount from my annual research grants and make sure Sheska gets it,” Edward explained, you looked at him confused as he looked at you with a smile on his face as he saw your confused look, “Right, I’ll get on that right away sir, I assume that I can just take this note down to the state alchemist office?” Maria asked, “That should work! Well, Sheska you’re a life saver, bye!” Edward waved as you all went down to the library.

“I-I-I don’t understand these are cook books? I don’t know what they would have to do with Alchemy?” Danny asked, “Alchemy is a power art, it can be incredibly dangerous if misused. In order to prevent that, Alchemic research is always encrypted. These are designed to look like recipies’ to the average person, but they are actually advanced alchemic notes, only the alchemist who originally wrote them can understand,” Edward explained, “If they are so heavily encrypted, then how are you going to be able to decipher them?” Danny asked, “It’s not going to be easy, we’ll have to use all our Alchemical knowledge,” Edward answered, “Wow sir, that sounds really complicated,” Danny put his hand behind his head.

“Al, there is a section in here about Green Tea,” Edward spoke, “Green Tea? Are you thinking what I am?” Alphonse replied, “Uh huh, it might be a reference to the Green Lion of Melalurjic alchemy. Do we have copies available of Flamel’s Codex or Lambspring’s Concerning the Philosopher’s Stone?” Edward asked, “Of course,” Alphonse put some books down next to Edward, “Alright, take a look at this here, and here too you see,?” Edward smiled, “Yea, your right, and maybe here too,” Alphonse pointed at the page, “Great! We’ve got a place to start, lets do this,” Edward smiled.

“Let’s leave them to it,” you smiled at Danny and pulled him to the door, “You aren’t going to help Rea?” Edward asked, you stopped and paused for a second with a different look in your eye.

I don’t want them to know the truth about the stone, and I don’t want to know what way’s Marcoh used to make the stone…

You turned around with a fake smiled on your face, “No silly, its your job to find out about the stone, and my job to be the pretty girl who goes around shopping while the men do all the dirty work, see you~!” you glided out the door quickly and went into town.

Edward watched you leave, and looked at the door with a small frown, “What’s wrong brother?” Alphonse asked, “Rea… she had her fake smile on…” Edward spoke, “A fake smile?” Danny asked, “Yea, when Rea gets upset or disturbed about something she always puts on a fake smile,” Edward sighed, “How can you tell? I’ve known her for a while and I can never tell how she is?!” Danny was a little shocked, “She closes her eyes when she smiles,” Edward stated like it was obvious, “Wow brother, I didn’t know you paid so much attention to Rea that you knew that,” Alphonse sounded like he was smirking, “what do you mean? Paid so much attention?” Edward asked, “You tend to take more care of Rea then any other girl you’ve ever met,” Alphonse rested the chin of his armor on the palm of his hand. Edward blushed immediately, “Shut up and get decoding!” Edward snapped, Alphonse chuckled a bit as well as Danny.