Older Then Time, Loving Forever

Laboratory 5

You went to see Hughes and told him that Edward and Alphonse were in town and he grabbed you by the collar telling you to take him to go see them.

But it was more like he was dragging you to see them.

“Yo!” Hughes waved as you fell on your bum after he let go of your collar, “Lieutenant Cornel Hughes? And… Rea?” Edward looked over the table at you on the floor, “I got dragged here after I told him you were here,” you sighed, “Also Major Armstrong told me you were here and I happened to see Rea on the way.” Hughes walked over to them and smacked his hands on the table, “What gives Ed, I told you to give me a shout the next time you made it to central,” Hughes smiled at Edward.

You stood up and brushed yourself down and smiled as the men caught up.

“We’ve had a lot of cases to deal wit lately, and we’re still working on getting the Tucker/Chimera situation settled… sorry… I guess that brings up some unpleasant memories, huh.” Hughes sat down in front of Edward, you walked around and sat on the table next to Edward, “Anyway, as if things weren’t bad enough for us already, the first branch had to burn down in the middle of all this,” Hughes spoke, “That’s a problem huh?” Edward asked, “A big one, all our case records we’re stored in the stacks of that location, trying to work without them hasn’t been a picnic let me tell you,” Hughes explained.

You, Edward and Alphonse froze and then all looked at Sheska.

“Hey Lieutenant Cornel I think I’ve got exactly the person you guys are looking for,” Edward smirked, “Well I have read the military’s criminal records and I do remember them all,” Sheska explained, “That’s all I needed to hear lady, your hired! My office pays well so don’t worry!” Hughes grinned, “Oh are you saying you want me-? Thanks so much! I’ll have faith just like you told me too,” Sheska smiled, as Hughes started to dragged her off literally, “Thank you, thank you!” Sheska smiled, “Come on now, right to work!” Hughes laughed, you three waved as they walked out, “She may not be thanking us for long,” Edward smirked.

Edward sighed and put his head on the table, “How did you put it again Al? Think dedication is a talent all on its own, very smooth little brother, very smooth,” Edward smirked with the pen in his mouth, “Well, its what I always think when I see a certain someone I know,” Alphonse looked at Edward, “In that case a certain someone, should hurry and get back to work, or your gonna have to come up with a new motivational phrase,” Edward smirked.

“I’ll leave you boys to it, good luck,” you spoke and jumped off the table, “See you Rea,” Alphonse spoke, Edward was too busy working as you looked at the determined face as you closed the doors behind you.

“You really have grown up,” you smiled to yourself, “Did you say something?” Danny asked, you immediately blushed, “Oh no! Just talking to myself,” you laughed nervously with your right hand behind your head as you looked suspiciously to the left.

A few days later you heard that Edward and Alphonse went back to the place they were staying and were locked away in their room for a day or two.

“They must have figured it out…” you looked down and sighed. You saw Alex Louise Armstrong talking to Danny and Maria by the reception; you walked past them and up the stairs to the boy’s room.

You knocked on the door, “Edward… Alphonse… are you two ok?” you called.

On the inside Edward heard you call them but turned on his side, “Brother, we should talk to Rea about this,” Alphonse spoke, “I’m not in the mood for a lecture from Rea,” Edward spoke, “besides… its not like she would want to know about the stone, she wouldn’t be able to do anything about it anyway,” Edward added.

“Edward… open the door now!” you called, there was no reply or movement from the inside, “Stop being such a baby about finding out something you clearly don’t like… just open up the door and talk to me about it… I’d like to know what’s gotten you so worked up?” you spoken from the outside, some people walked past you and look at you as if you were crazy.

“EDWARD! Your making me look like an idiot standing out here yelling at a door!” you snapped, your blood was starting to boil a bit, but soon cold as you sighed. “Please… Edward… let me in… at times like this, you need someone to be there for you,” you leaned your head forward as your forehead rested on the door; you put your right hand on the door too. “Edward… please… say something…” you spoke.

You heard movement from the inside as you looked up and stepped back, the door didn’t open though, “Ed…” you muttered.

Edward stopped on the inside as his and held the door handle, Edward had never heard you call him by that; it was always his full name, Edward. Edward knew that you were clearly worried about him and Alphonse; he thought that because you were there for him when his mother died you are trying to make up for it now. “Please Edward… I know your there,” he heard you speak ever so softly the other side of the door.

Edward went to open the door but it was suddenly pushed open by Alex Louis Armstrong as he moved you aside, “I know what it said Edward Elric!” Armstrong spoke as he pushed the door fully open and Edward fell back on the floor in shock, “How tragic! To think the legend of the Philosophers stone is built on such a terrible secret!” Armstrong cried. Edward glared at Danny and Maria as you stood at the door dumbfounded by what just happened.

“We’re- We’re really sorry,” Maria spoke, “It’s hard to stay quite when someone like him asks you,” Danny explained, “imagine the military being behind something like that, oh, the truth is more cruel then we bargained for,” Armstrong spoke.

“The truth,” Edward spoke, “What is it brother?” Alphonse asked, “Do you remember what Doctor Marcoh said at the station?” Edward recalled.

“I didn’t have a clue what he was talking about then, but now, it’s the same with his alchemical notes. What you can see, the surface is only a portion of the truth. There is still more to find here, there has to be,” Edward spoke.

You all sat or stood around the table in the middle of the room with a map of Central on the table, “Currently there are 4 working laboratories in central, that could have connections to the government. We’ve narrowed it down even further; Marcoh worked in the 3rd laboratory, we should start with that one, it’s the most suspect,” Armstrong explained, “Al, myself and Rea have been to all the laboratories in the city and non were doing any remarkable research,” Edward explained, you pointed at a building on the map.

“What’s this one that’s crossed out?” you asked, noticing a prison next to it, “It was designed for the 5th laboratory but it isn’t currently in use, the building isn’t structurally sound, so its been classified off limits,” Maria explained, “But look what’s right next to it,” you folded your arms, “A prison…” Edward spoke, “Ok… so?” Danny asked, “What was the main ingredient for a philosophers stone?” Edward asked.

“You said it needed live humans,” Danny froze just then, “There’d be plenty of condemned criminals in the prison, officially they’d be recorded as executed,” Edward spoke, “Their using, the prisoners to make the stone,” Maria looked disgusted, “Don’t look at me like that, I don’t like talking about this any more then you,” Edward spoke, “Prisoners from other jurisdictions could be used too, I wonder if the government is involved?” Alphonse spoke, “Why do I have the feeling we’re getting involved with something really dangerous here?” Maria spoke, “That’s why we told you to pretend like you never heard anything,” Alphonse quickly explained.

Armstrong walked to the door with the map, “This has the potential of becoming a political nightmare, before long,” Armstrong spoke, “I’ll look into what we’ve talked about tonight, in the meantime officers, speak of this to no one,” Armstrong commanded, “Sir!” Maria and Danny both saluted Armstrong.

“And you Elric brothers, behave yourselves!” Armstrong spoke Edward and Alphonse jumped, “I know you two boys! You were thinking about sneaking into this building and taking a look around, weren’t you? Admit it!” Armstrong snapped, “We weren’t! We weren’t! We promise!” Edward and Alphonse shook their heads.

Later on, “Yea, sure we weren’t,” Edward muttered as you all ran down the street towards Laboratory 5.

You saw a guard standing watch outside the gates of the building, “Hmm a guard posted by a unused building… interesting,” Edward spoke, “that is suspicious,” Alphonse added.

You all looked up at the huge wall with barbed wiring at the top, “How do we get in?” Alphonse asked, “We could make our own entrance,” Edward spoke, “But wouldn’t the guard see the light from the transmutation?” you asked, “well in that case,” Edward looked up.

Alphonse lifted Edward up onto the top of the wall as Edward started feeding the barbed wiring down, “I’m not going to be able to climb that,” you stated, “why not?” Edward snapped, “Cos I don’t have bodies like you two!” you whispered sharply at Edward glaring, “It’s ok Rea, I’ll carry you up,” Alphonse spoke, “you sure?” you asked, “Just hold on to my armor and I’ll climb for both of us,” Alphonse suggested, “Cool,” you nodded and jumped on Alphonse’s back as he started to climb.

You all got to the other side and ran to the door, which happened to be blocked off, “They’re not taking any chances are they,” Edward spoke. Edward soon noticed a vent in the wall, and asked Al to lift him up as he removed it, “Al, you need to wait here,” Edward spoke, “Whether I’m fine on my own or not isn’t the issue, your too big to get through here,” Edward spoke, “It’s not like I asked to get this big,” Alphonse sulked, you smiled sadly, “It’s fine, mind giving me a lift in there too?” you asked, “Sure…” Alphonse stood up and helps you in.

You followed Edward through the small vent, “Damn, it’s even tighter in here then I thought. I couldn’t get through this far if I was regular sized, lucky I’ve got a small body,” Edward stopped, you paused and took in what he just said. Then you burst out laughing as he yelled, “Oh no! I just called myself a tiny little pipsqueak!” Edward yelled, you couldn’t stop yourself from laughing, as it was just the funniest thing you had ever heard, “Shut up Rea!” Edward snapped, “I’m so sorry, but that was just… so… god damned funny… I can’t… stop laughing,” you kept laughing until Edward found an opening and you both jumped down.

“Sorry about that Edward, I haven’t had a good laugh like that for a while,” you wiped the tears from your eyes, Edward looked at your for a second, “Crying with laughter because I’m small, thanks Rea,” Edward stopped, “AH I DID IT AGAIN!” Edward yelled, you laughed again and held your stomach because it was starting to ache with laughter. Edward looked at you and smiled a bit, he had never made you laugh so much, and he loved your laugh even if he caused it because he called himself small.

“The lights are on,” Edward spoke, “Oh yea… I just noticed,” you looked at the floor lighting, “Who are they trying to fool? This is it alright,” Edward smirked.