Older Then Time, Loving Forever

A Comrade in Arms' Footsteps

“I’m beat…” Edward stretched, “Being spied on for 5 hours would do that,” Alphonse spoke, “Lan Fan and Fu were keeping eyes on him?” Winry asked. “Hey, where’s the young lord?” Fu asked, you all looked around but couldn’t see him, “It appears your Prince has run off,” you concluded as Lan Fan and Fu bowed their heads down, “I can’t take my eyes off him for a second,” Fu complained, “Young Lord where have you taken off to this time?” Fu ran off looking around the area, “What if he’s collapsed somewhere again?” Lan Fan got worried, “If so I say it’s a relief, let’s go,” Edward began to walk off. “Coming,” you three called and followed Edward.

“Ok, guess we should stop by the military office’s first,” Edward spoke, “Right,” Alphonse nodded, “In that case I think I’ll head over to the Hughes’ house, I can’t wait to see Gracia and cute little Elicia,” Winry smiled, “Great, we won’t be that far behind you,” Edward smiled, “Great see you later,” Winry ran off, you waved as she left, “I wonder if Colonel Hughes has learnt anything else about the Philosopher stone…” you pondered, “The Furher was pretty clear with his orders regarding that, I think its best we give Hughes the information we found first,” Edward spoke, “The Homunculi,” Alphonse looked at Edward, “Yea, I’m pretty sure Hughes said he’s in the court martial office. This way,” Edward ran forward and you followed along with Alphonse.

You got into the building and saw Hawkeye up ahead, you smiled, “Hey Hawkeye!” you smiled and ran up to her, “Hey guys, its been a while,” Hawkeye smiled, “Yep, how have you been?” you smiled, “I’ve been good, yourselves?” Hawkeye asked, “We’ve been great… and wait… if you’re here that means…” Edward stopped, “Thanks for waiting,” you all heard Roy’s voice as Edward cringed, “Yep the Colonel…” Edward glared, “Well hello Fullmetal, Rea, Alphonse,” Roy looked a bit surprised, “Colonel Mustang, what are you doing here in central?” Edward asked, “You didn’t hear? I was transferred to this branch last month,” Roy explained, “Great…” Edward bluntly spoke, “And you guys? What brings you here?” Roy asked, “We’re just doing some information gathering, and we were thinking of paying Lieutenant Colonel Hughes a little visit today. Where is he anyway?” Edward asked, you noticed that Roy had a shocked look on his face and Hawkeye’s face wasn’t her usual face either which made you suspicious. “Not here… he retired out in the country, and took his wife and daughter with him, to take over the family business. So he’s not here,” Roy spoke, “I see, well that’s too bad,” Edward looked down, “We were hoping to see him,” Alphonse added.

Roy went to leave, “Fullmetal, watch yourself, don’t do anything crazy,” Roy spoke, “Ok,” Edward replied as the Colonel walked off, you glared at them. “I can’t believe Hughes is actually gone,” Edward spoke, “Oh, I almost forgot brother, we need to tell Winry all of this, she went straight to the Hughes’ house,” Alphonse spoke, “Yea your right,” Edward turned around and ran into Maria Ross. “Lieutenant Ross!” Edward smiled, “I haven’t seen you three here in a while, your in a hurry why the rush?” Maria asked, “We just heard about Lieutenant Colonel Hughes,” Edward spoke, “Yea, rough news huh,” Maria spoke, “There was still so much we wanted to tell him about,” Edward smiled, “We would of liked to say Goodbye,” Alphonse added, “We weren’t able to reach you, but don’t worry though, the military gave him a proper send off,” Maria spoke, “Oh wow that was nice,” Edward smiled, “That’s how its done, also if you boys haven’t heard already I’m sure you’ll both be glad to know, he was promoted, two whole ranks.” Maria explained. That confused you there and then, “Wait… so we’ve just been told that he retired to the countryside and got promoted,” you glared, Edward look at you, “Rea, what’s wrong?” Edward asked, “Maria… tell us the truth,” you snapped, Maria covered her mouth in horror of what she told you three.

Edward snapped onto what you were on about, “No… not the Lieutenant Colonel,” Edward spoke, you bit your lip and clenched your fists. “Brigadier General Hughes is dead. He was murdered shortly after your discharge from the hospital Edward, I’m afraid we still haven’t found the person responsible,” Maria explained. After that Edward turned and ran, Alphonse ran after Edward as you stood next to Maria, “I wish people would stop treating me like a child…” you snapped. “Rea-” “NO! I’m over 200 years old Maria! I am NOT A CHILD!” you yelled at her, you stood back, “Sorry…” you muttered and looked away then ran off after Roy.

You caught up with Roy and Hawkeye in their office, “You think it’s a good idea to lie to us…” you slammed your hands on the table, “You think you were being nice telling us that Hughes apparently moved away,” you looked up at Roy with tears in the corner of your eyes, “I’ve known you Roy since you were 5 and this is how you treat me… like a child… when I am older then you…” you started to cry, “We found out about Hughes’ death… you should of just told us…” you started to cry. Hawkeye put her hand in your shoulder as Roy bowed his head down, “I know Hughes was your best friend, but he was our friend too. And in another way, he was like a father to me…” you looked up at Roy, he looked shocked.

You stood up straight and wiped your face, “I’m going to find Edward and Alphonse now, Edward is probably in need of a talk,” you sighed, “I’m sorry, Reaka…” Roy spoke, “It’s done now, don’t worry about it,” you waved and walked out closing the door behind you.

Hawkeye looked back at Roy, “No matter how much she says she’s not a child, she acts more like one,” Roy rubbed his temples, “She is actually more mature then you sir, if you don’t mind me saying,” Hawkeye sighed, “More mature then me?” Roy looked at Hawkeye, “Yes, you say she’s a child but she is right, she’s seen more deaths in her life then any of us, she of all people at least deserves the truth,” Hawkeye explained, “she did have a point,” Roy sighed.

You turned up at the Hughes’ house and knocked on the door. “Oh, Rea…” you saw Gracia, you saw that she had just been crying, “Gracia…” you immediately gave her a hug, “I’m so sorry,” you spoke, Gracia returned the hug and you felt Elicia join the hug by grabbing your legs.

You sat with Gracia and Elicia for a while, “By the way, you just missed Edward, Alphonse and Winry,” Gracia explained, “I guessed, but… I don’t really want to see them right now,” you looked away and bit your lip, “I don’t like being with friends when I cry… only with family,” you smiled and hugged Elicia, “I’ve always considered you and Hughes like parents to me, you took care of me for years,” you smiled and held Elicia in your arms, “You treated me like another daughter,” you smiled at her, “I thank you for that,” you spoke, “though I’m sorry because I never had the chance to tank Hughes for it,” you covered your face, “Rea… don’t cry, you told me big girls don’t cry,” Elicia held your arm, you smiled at her, “Elicia,” you smiled and hugged the young girl.

Gracia knelt down in front of you, “like I told the Elric brothers, I don’t want you to give up, or else Hughes’ death will be in vein,” Gracia smiled, you nodded, “Yea, I know, I have never given up on trying to become mortal again,” you explained.

Later on your left and Gracia told you where Edward and the others were staying, you got to the hotel and found out what rooms they were in, you knocked on Winry’s door, “Winry? You in there?” you asked, you heard movement from inside then you were pulled inside and Winry hugged you, “Rea, I know what you mean by you hate being Immortal now… seeing all the people you care about die around you! You’ve been through more pain then I could ever imagine!” Winry cried, you hugged her and tried to stop yourself from crying, “you’re the strongest person I’ve ever met,” Winry spoke, “Strongest… ha… I cry at a bird dying…” you giggled which made Winry laugh a bit also, “No I mean, if I had your problem I don’t think I’ll be able to cope with it, being Immortal, and seeing everyone die around you,” Winry looked at you, you smiled, “I haven’t at times been able to cope Winry, but at times like these you do need a friend to keep you company and make you smile,” you smiled, Winry smiled back.

“I can see why Ed likes you,” Winry smiled, “Huh?” you looked at her confused, “First we were talking about how friends can be there for each other and how I cry at dead birds now you said that?” you looked at her confused, Winry smiled, “I remember when we we’re little and I’d ask Ed how you were he’d always get upset after you left, like he was torn apart,” Winry explained, “He really does care for you Rea, even though he doesn’t show it, you spent most of your time helping them with their Alchemy and then helping us with homework and playing with us when our parents didn’t have time,” Winry explained you smiled, “your like a big sister to me Rea,” Winry hugged you again, “Thanks,” you smiled.

The door was knocked again, “Winry, you in there?” Edward spoke, she went and opened the door, Edward saw you in the room too, “You haven’t eaten yet have you? You might want to hurry, the dinning room is closing soon,” Edward explained, Winry nodded. “Ok, I’ll go,” Edward walked off but Winry grabbed his wrist. You walked out as Edward and Winry sat inside talking.