Older Then Time, Loving Forever

The Arrogant Palm of a Small Human

“Resembool! This stop, Resembool Station!” the conductor called, you three got off of the train and looked around. Armstrong walked forward and you both followed him down the path. “Are you ever going to tell us what’s going on?” Edward asked, “This is starting to feel too much like a kidnapping,” Edward glared, “Mmm… no this doesn’t feel like a kidnapping to me,” you pondered, “Have you ever been kidnapped?” Edward glared, “Yes, and its not as fun as this… but I’m concluding that we’ll find out when we get there Edward, so be patient a little longer,” you explained, Edward nodded.

“Well I haven’t been fully informed on the details, my only orders were to retrieve you both and rendezvous here,” Armstrong explained, “Rendezvous?” you and Edward looked at each other in suspicion.

You saw Breda up ahead, “I’m glad you made it alright Major Armstrong Sir!” Breda stood up, “Hey! What’s up big guy? Rea!” Breda smiled, you grinned, “Breda!” you ran over to him and gave him a hug, “Didn’t except such a friendly greeting from you Rea,” Breda smiled, “Well its been ages since we last spoke,” you smiled. “Lieutenant Breda!” Edward was in shock.

You all started traveling across the desert on horses. Though Edward wasn’t enjoying the ride, “Hot…” Edward complained, “Oh stop complaining you big baby,” you smiled, “Colonel never said we’d be crossing the boarder, that bastard…” Edward complained again.

“Mr. Han, how much further do we have let?” Breda asked, “We’ve almost made it, look,” Mr. Han pointed up ahead.

You froze.

The ruins of Xerves were ahead.

Once arrived Edward jumped into the water quickly, when he got out you blushed when you saw how toned his torso was. “Not only have you grown up but your fit too,” you muttered to yourself, “What was that Rea?” Edward asked, you cringed and spun around, “Oh nothing! Nothing at all!” you smiled.

“So, this is Xerves huh? Looks just like the fable described it,” Edward looked, “Did you say a fable?” Fu asked, “Yea, the Eastern Sage, it’s the story about the origin of alchemy in Amestris.” Edward explained. “It claimed that the entire kingdom of Xerves was destroyed in a single night, and the only survivor wondered into Amestris shortly after, he was the one who went on to spread the science of alchemy,” Edward explained, “How interesting, we have a similar legend in Xing, about a drifter from the west, its said his teachings were combined with our ancient techniques to make the alchehestry we practice today,” Fu explained, “Alchehestry, is primarily used for Medical needs, isn’t it?” Edward asked, “Yes, he guided this process and we greatly revere him, we know him as the Western Sage.” Fu explained.

You all started walking inside the ruins, you recognized some of the buildings… but you didn’t know why. You had no memories of this place at all.

“So the Western Sage is supposed to come from here?” Breda asked, “It is believed so, yes,” Fu replied.

“But if Xerves was such a highly advanced society, how were they wiped out in a single night?” Breda asked, “It may well just be a legend,” Fu said.

Edward stopped; you looked back at him and saw his gazed was looking at something else. You followed his vision to a circle on the wall.

You had a quick flash of the same glyph but everything was rebuilt, you spun around and the building was all put back together. You looked back towards the glyph and saw Hohenheim with a black orb in a flask… and…

You.

You heard screams all around you as you blacked out.

Edward looked back and saw you were on the ground, “Rea… Rea!” Edward picked you up, “Edward? What’s wrong with Reaka?” Armstrong asked, “I don’t know, she just passed out.” Edward replied and carried you from there.

Edward walked besides Armstrong; “We’re going in pretty deep now aren’t we?” Edward spoke, “Edward!” a woman’s voice called.

Edward and Armstrong looked up and saw a figure standing at the top, when the figure came into focus Edward had a big smirk on his face, “That damned Colonel!” Edward spoke. “Lieutenant Ross!” Armstrong yelled and went to attack Maria with a hug.

“There really was no place in Amestris we could safely hide a dead girl, especially one that’s still alive you know.” Breda smirked. “The Colonel knew she was innocent all along?” Edward asked, you woke up and rubbed your eyes, “Oh Rea, look who’s over there,” Edward pointed with a smile on his face. You looked over and saw Maria Ross, “M-Maria…” you muttered, then you smiled. “Damn that Colonel, you son of a bitch…” you stood up and ran over to Maria and gave her a hug. “Rea!” she smiled, “It’s so good to see you!” you smiled at her with tears in your eyes, “Oh… Rea,” Maria smiled, you grinned at her.

You all found out what happened, “After Madam Ross was prematurely freed, my young Lord made a deal with Barry the Chopper, the orders I’ve been given are to escort this woman to the east to take refuge,” Fu explained, “So we all agreed to rendezvous here, in one big effort to air the Lieutenants escape,” Breda added, “I see,” Armstrong folded his arms, “You’ve gotta be joking, I can’t believe the Colonel was able to pull one over on us like this, he knew it would be easier to convince you if you actually saw Lieutenant Ross,” Breda explained, “Then, why pull me along?” you asked, “He said, the reason he wasn’t you to come along is so you don’t feel another burden of someone else close to you dying before you,” Breda explained, “So the Colonel really does have a heart…” you smiled.

“Fine, I’ll admit it alright, he actually knew what he was doing this time,” Edward smirked, “He mentioned something else. He said he didn’t want to take a chance on some hot-tempered kid ruining the operation so he sent you out here,” Breda smirked, “Hot-tempered Kid!” Edward yelled, you hit Edward upside the head, “Chill… oh wait… we’re in a desert,” you laughed.

“You said the operation? Is there are phase beyond liberating Lieutenant Ross?” Armstrong asked, “Indeed, he’s got a plan to reel in the puppeteer, the one that’s behind the conspiracy,” Breda smirked, “No one calls me A-! Wait, what did you say?” Edward asked.

“You remember Barry from the 5th Lab right? He went on one hell of a rampage, their bound to send someone to reclaim him.” Breda smirked.

“I’ve got nothing to do with this, zilch, and yet here I am stuck in the middle of it… and framed by homunculi…” Maria sighed, “Could be worse,” you shrugged, “How so?” Maria asked, “You could be like me,” you smirked, “Young forever unable to live a real life,” you added so Maria understood your point, “Oh… right…” Maria put her arm around you. You pushed her hand off, “It’s too hot to hug,” you stated, “That’s true,” Maria, agreed as Armstrong put some pictures in the middle.

“We’ve collected a fair amount of intelligence and once we properly piece it together we’ll have the General’s killer,” Breda explained, “I promise you this Lieutenant, we will absolve you of this crime,” Armstrong sat up folding his arms. “Lieutenant Colonel… I mean General Hughes… its just hard to accept that he’s dead,” Edward muttered, “And what shall you do now Edward Elric?” Armstrong asked.

“Al and I committed a taboo. We still have people that help us, some people get angry at us, and others support us silently. Each one of them has helped me to try and keep my promise to my brother, so I have no choice. I can’t turn back, which means all I can do is move forward, right? And I’ll protect everyone I can along the way; I refuse to let another person become a victim. Not while I’m alive. I know that’s a hard promise to keep, it’s hard enough just trying to take care of myself. I don’t think I’m even capable of it, maybe I’m just arrogant, but… it’s the only thing I can think of, so I have to do it. I have to,” Edward explained, “And you Lieutenant, where do you intend to seek asylum?” Armstrong asked, “Well I think that I’m going to give Xing a shot,” Maria smiled.

Later on you all stood on the edge of Xerves saying goodbye to Maria, “Any parting wishes? Shall I tell your parents?” Armstrong asked, “No sir, as much as I want them to know I’m ok I’m scared it will be too much of a risk. I just don’t want to put them in that kind of danger,” Maria explained, “Very well,” Armstrong replied, “Major Armstrong, Lieutenant Breda. Please deliver a message to the Colonel. I need him to know how grateful I am for what he’s done, if there’s anyway I can help him tell him to send for me. I owe him a great debt and I am willing to put my life on the line for it!” Ross saluted them both. Edward went to salute Maria but she held out her hand, “Goodbye Edward, take care of yourself ok,” Maria smiled, “I still owe you, for slapping me that is,” Edward smiled, “you can get me next time,” Maria smiled, Edward shook hands with her and Maria turned to you. “Well Rea, at least we won’t leave on a bad note this time,” Maria smiled, you looked at her shocked, “Oh… yea… sorry about that outburst before, it was uncalled for and I shouldn’t of-” Maria hugged you, “The only reason I’m protective over you is because your like a little sister to me,” Maria spoke, you smiled and returned the hug, “Thank you,” you smiled, “Take care Rea,” Maria smiled, “Yea, you too big sister,” you smiled, Maria looked shocked then smiled.

You watched them ride off into the distance.

Later on Edward came back with a look of anger and distress on his face, “Edward?” you spoke, “Rea…” Edward looked at you, “What’s wrong?” you asked, “I… I just found out who killed Winry’s parents,” Edward looked away, you covered your mouth, “Who?” you asked, “They didn’t know his face, but apparently he has a tattoo on his right arm,” Edward explained. “Are you going to tell Winry?” you asked, “No,” Edward replied, “She has the right to know, they are her parents,” you spoke, “I know… but… I hate seeing either you and Winry cry…” Edward looked away, “You… hate to see us cry,” you muttered, then smirked. “Your not going soft on me are you Edward?” you asked, “What?! No way!” Edward quickly spoke, “you sure?” you smirked. “Damn right!” Edward glared, you laughed. “Though, its nice to know you care,” you smiled, Edward blinked then smiled in return.

“Rea?” Edward pulled you away from the others before they were ready to set off back home, “What’s wrong Edward?” you asked, “Remember when we were alone in my hotel room before Alphonse came in with the newspaper which told us about the Lieutenant?” Edward asked, “Yes… what’s your point?” you looked at him confused. “What did you mean about your heart being broken?” Edward asked, you blinked in shock then looked away with a frown on your face, “Edward… I…” you stumbled on your words.

You didn’t know what to say to him.

“I’ve been in love and my heart has been broken so many times over my life because I stay the same age while the people I love grow old and die… and… I think…” you stopped as Edward looked confused, “You think what?” Edward asked, he had a look of confusion on his face; he had no clue what you were on about. You looked at him with a frown, “Edward… I’m scared that your going to break my heart like so many other men have done before…” you spoke, “Break your heart?” Edward muttered then looked shocked.

His heart beating quickly in his chest, he was short or breath.

“Wait… are you saying your…” Edward stopped, “In love?” you spoke, all Edward could do was nod, “Yea… I am,” you sighed, “With me?” Edward asked, “Yes you dummy,” you smacked Edward on the head. Edward looked back at you and smiled, “I always did wonder why you were so distant from me,” Edward smirked, “Wait… your getting big headed over this aren’t-” Edward’s lips met yours quickly and pulled back. You smirked, “So that’s why you’ve been especially nice to me the last few weeks,” you smirked, “Winry did say you had a thing for me,” you added, “What! Now your getting big headed!” Edward yelled, you smiled then hugged him. “Out of all the men who said they were going to make me mortal again, I truly believe that you are going to help me,” you smiled, “The only thing that scares me, is how long it will take,” you pulled back.

“But until then…” you smirked and licked your lips, Edward blushed immensely, “R-Rea… what are you doing?” Edward asked as you wrapped your arms around him, “I’m giving you a kiss silly, what did you think I was going to do?” you smirked and kissed Edward passionately.

“Though… in the future could you lick your lips that that again… it looked…” Edward pulled back, “Sexy?” you asked with a smirked, “yea,” Edward nodded, “Sure, though I’ll do it when we’re alone,” you winked.