Older Then Time, Loving Forever

Father Before the Grave

You got back into Resembool and said goodbye to Armstrong and Breda as Edward had to get his arm fixed up again. Half way over to his house, when you walked past the graveyard you saw a man with blonde hair in a ponytail looking at Trisha’s grave, you rubbed your eyes. “No it can’t be…” you spoke; Edward was looking at the man too. His gaze turned more into a glare, “Hohenheim…” Edward spoke.

“Hello Edward, you appear to have grown some?” Van stated it like a question, “And… Reaka… my its been a while,” Van smiled at you, “V… Van Hohenheim…” you smiled with tears in your eyes, “It’s been too long,” you walked up to him and gave him a hug. Edward glared and looked away, “I spoke with Pinako… you tried human transmutation,” Van held you in the embrace as Edward looked at it father, unable to think of anything to reply.

Instead Edward looked away, “What makes you think you can show up like this? There’s nothing left for you here any more,” Edward snapped, “I noticed. Tell me Edward, what possessed you to burn down my home?” Van asked. “After what happened we vowed to never look back. We did it as a symbol of our resolve,” Edward spoke, “No you didn’t, you were hiding the memory. You didn’t want to be reminded of what you’ve done, and thought you could erase the memory by destroying evidence,” Van let you go and walked over to Edward overshadowing him. “Your wrong!” Edward yelled, “It’s just like a child who hides the sheets after he wets the bed. You ran away, and you know it,” Van explained, Edward didn’t look too pleased, he looked almost, frightened.

“You don’t know a damned thing! You make me sick up to my stomach!” Edward snapped, grabbed your hand and pulled you away with him.

That night you stayed at Pinako’s house and you sat on the bed Edward was going to sleep in. “What are you going to do?” Edward asked, “What do you mean?” you replied, “Well the main reason I first met you was because you were looking for my dad, now that you’ve found him, what are you going to do?” he snapped, “I’m going to ask him for my memories,” you replied, “Your memories?” Edward looked at you shocked, “Yes,” you nodded, “I know I came from Xerves before it was destroyed but I can’t remember what happened, I have a period of my life where I can’t remember what happened… the last thing I remember before I became immortal was when my parents died… the rest is blurry… but my first memory after that is seeing your father,” you explained. “Seeing my father?” Edward explained, “Well… not your father, but a man who looked exactly like him… and I’ve been asking many years for a man of your fathers description I found your father a couple of years ago before I met you, but then he left suddenly and I haven’t been able to find him again until now. All I’m going to do is ask him to remind me what happened… though then again I think your father might not know… cos its not like your dads immortal…” you joked, Edward smiled at you.

Edward sat down next to you, “So you don’t have any memories of what happened?” Edward asked, “No… though, when we went to Xerves… that glyph we saw on the wall… like the one in the 5th lab… it brought back a memory… I saw the man who looked like your father holding a flask with a black orb inside and then I just heard loads of screaming… and I passed out…” you explained, “Do you think this man who looks like my father will know your past?” Edward asked, “Yes, that’s why I need to ask Van if he’s met the man I’m looking for,” you explained. Edward yawned, “Time for bed,” you smirked.

Edward got into his bed, “Night Edward,” you smiled; Edward grabbed your hand, “Are you not going to give me a goodnight kiss?” Edward smirked, “Fine…” you sighed with a smirk and kissed his forehead, then kissed his lips. You pulled away and smiled down at Edward, “Goodnight, Reaka,” Edward smiled; you waved and walked out of the room and bumped into someone.

“Van,” you looked at him shocked, “Erm… Reaka… can we have a chat please,” Van put his hand behind his head with a sheepish grin, “Sure,” you smiled.

You and Van sat at the table, Pinako gave you both some space so you could catch up. “I know you’ve known both my sons since they were about 5,” Van said, “Yes, your sons are amazing, they are both strong and they both have big hearts,” you smiled, “And I’ve noticed you’ve fallen in love with my eldest,” Van smirked, “Well… erm… yes… I have…” you scratched your chin in embarrassment, “I’m happy, though, I’m worried, because of the fact your immortal… its going to hurt my sons feelings if he gets too old for you,” Van explained, “I know… it will hurt me too…” you bowed your head down.

“Anyway, I know you wanted to ask me something important,” Van smiled at you, “Yes… I was wondering… if you knew how I became immortal?” you asked, Van looked at you shocked, “You… don’t remember?” Van asked, “No…” you shook your head.

Van rested his elbows in the table locked his fingers together and rested his chin on his hands, “I think its best if I talk to you outside of the house…” Van looked serious. You started to worry.

When you both got outside you went to the end of the pathway and sat under the stars. “’Reaka… we both lived in Xerves… about 400 years ago now…” Van started, “we both did? Wait… then why is there another man who looks like you?” you asked, Van looked at you seriously then grabbed both of your hands, “Reaka… the story I’m about to tell you… I need you to keep this to yourself and tell nobody, not even my sons…” Van spoke, you swallowed the heavy burden as your muscles tensed in worry…

Van told you the horrors of what really happened… you couldn’t believe it… you didn’t want to believe it… “I remember it all now… the dwarf in the flask… I… can’t believe it…” you covered your face. Van wrapped his arm around you, “Don’t tell anyone…” Hohenheim said, “I won’t…” you looked up at the sky, Van wiped the tears away from your face. “Your too beautiful to cry Reaka,” Van smiled at you, “Thanks, I guess… you have always been here for me…” you smiled at him, “As a best friend,” Van smirked, you remembered something you said when you first met Van.

The image appeared in your mind. You were 7 and Van saved you from being knocked down by a horse and carriage, though you weren't normally a talkative person Van saved you and you wanted to repay him, he was getting annoyed with you as you were chasing him around, “Hey… Mister! Wait!” your younger self called, “Leave me alone…” the stubborn blonde snapped, “Mister… you save my life!” you yelled, and you couldn't talk very well either and ran in front of him, “I not leave your side till I save your life! As a best friend I’ll save your life!” you pointed at him in determination, the blonde smiled at you with a small frown. “Fine… come with me and you can help me out on some things,” the boy said, “Yay!” you cheered and ran after him, “What we do? Huh? Huh?” you asked. “Well I have a few servant duties to do. I'm sure he'll let you come and help” the boy smiled.

* * *


You looked up at Van, “Now that I remember I was kind of annoying back then huh?” you smirked at back at the Van you knew now. “Yes… I’ll admit you did annoy me at some stages… though you were a very bright gifted young girl. The only problem was you couldn’t do Alchemy.” Van explained, “Mmm… I won’t tell Edward and Alphonse… I wouldn’t want them to know anyway… how much of a monster I am…” you hugged your knees. Van looked down on you seriously for a moment then held out his hand to help you stand.

You and Van went back to the house. “Goodnight Hohenheim,” you waved and walked upstairs. “Goodnight Reaka,” Van replied as you got to the top. You smiled to yourself then got straight into bed and fell asleep.

* * *


The next morning you got up and rubbed your eyes, “Pinako… Edward?” you called, there was no reply. You walked downstairs and saw a note on the table, “Gone out for a while?” you muttered while rubbing your eyes. “Wonder what’s got Edward in such a hurry…” you looked around and decided to make yourself something to eat.

Later on Edward and Pinako come back and they were both soaked from the rain, “Where have you two been? You both had me worried sick!” you ran upstairs and grabbed two towels and gave them both one each. Then you ran into the kitchen and quickly made them warm drinks and gave them both one, “Rea…” Edward grabbed your hand before you ran off again. “Edward… what’s wrong?” you asked and turned to face him fully. “The… human transmutation me and my brother made… wasn’t our mom…” Edward explained, your eyes widened in shock. “W-What? Did you just go dig it up? What possessed you to go dig it up?” you asked questions, “I heard Hohenheim talking to Pinako last night and he said it wasn’t her… I had to check… but now I know… Alphonse can be returned to normal, and so can you,” Edward looked at you with determination, like he found something new to go on, you smiled, “Well you know I’ll follow wherever you lead,” you spoke, Edward nodded.

Edward called up his teacher and asked her the question. Apparently she put the phone down on him.

Afterwards you waited for Edward to talk to Pinako about her son and daughter-in-law.

Then you both caught the train to Central.

“WHAT! How are you this beat up!” Edward circled around Alphonse as his right arm was broken off and his jaw was completely gone. “I’m sorry brother,” Alphonse spoke. “And you! What the hell are you doing here?” Edward yelled, “Eating a delicious dinner…” Ling spoke. Edward was quick to kick them out as you sighed.

“Seriously how did this happen to you?” Edward asked, Alphonse sighed then told you both what happened while you were gone… With Lust and Barry the Chopper. “The Homunculi and Barry the Chopper. And just with a cherry on top you find out your body might reject your soul…” Edward spoke, then transmuted Alphonse’s arm back onto his body, “I’m going to have to extend what little you have left of your armor.” Edward explained.

Edward sighed a moment later, “Ed, he’ll be able to get his body back right?” Winry asked, “Yea of course he will, I told you I’m going to get it back,” Edward explained, then sat down. “Al, I’ve got to tell you something. I dug up the body we transmuted in Resembool,” Edward started, “What… why would you do that?” Alphonse stood up, “because Al, I found out that the thing we buried wasn’t really our mother,” Edward answered. Alphonse wobbled on the spot then sat down, “But… hold on a minute, then that means…” Alphonse stumbled on words, “The thing we made, I don’t know what but it was something completely different,” Edward leaned forward, “But if it wasn’t… then what happened to me?” Alphonse asked, “That’s just it, this has actually convinced me we can return you to normal…” Edward spoke.

“Ed, are you sure?” Winry asked, “Yea, but… before I start explaining how… well um… Winry… do you remember when Al and I got in a fight when we were kids about who’d marry you?” Edward explained. “Huh? The fight we were talking about on the roof?” Alphonse asked, “Yea that one… Al told me you turned him down” Edward looked sheepish, Winry nodded, “Turned you both down,” “Whatever. So the questions for both of you then. What was your reasoning?” Edward asked, “Well she said…” Alphonse spoke, “I just don’t like men who are shorter then me,” Alphonse and Winry spoke at the same time. Edward screamed suddenly, “You can’t judge a man about something he can’t help!” Edward cried, “Er… I don’t really see how this has anything to do with Al getting his body back?” Winry spoke. You pulled Edward on the seat next to you as he calmed down, “I had to be sure. Al had a memory of something I don’t recall… you seem to clearly remember it the same way Winry, which means that it happened without a doubt. So now that we know you remembered something real, then we also know for a fact that really is Al bonded in there. I pulled you out Al, I actually did it, I know it was only your soul but that’s just it, if I was able to pull that much of you out then I’ve got a hunch that I can get back in there and pull it out.” Edward explained.

“You think my body is still in the portal? Existing separately from my soul? Like Barry’s body!” Alphonse spoke, “Right, what did you see? Try to think back can you remember what happened when the truth unraveled you?” Edward asked, “I reached out… and it was me. It was my hand I grabbed,” Alphonse explained, “I knew it, looks like we’re not done with the truth yet Al,” Edward smirked. “We’re going to get in there and pull your body out!” Edward smiled, “Brother… after the portal… I remember looking at you from inside that thing…” Alphonse spoke, you were all shocked. “You we’re inside of it? That thing was you?” Edward was shocked, “I guess so, but my soul didn’t bind… it must of rejected me right away… so that means… we didn’t harm anyone else’s soul after all…” Alphonse explained.

A knock was at the door, “Mr. Elric, you have a telephone call from a Izumi Curtis,” the man on the other side spoke. Edward went to speak to Izumi and you waited with Winry. You heard Edward and Alphonse talking at the bottom of the stairs.

“Al?” Edward spoke, “This entire time I’ve been blaming myself for what happened. I thought it was me, I thought I was the one who killed mom a second time,” Alphonse spoke, “And so did I, Al,” Edward replied, “Thanks brother. Thank you, I wasn’t the one who killed mom after all,” Alphonse covered his face, “But still, non of this changes the fact that I’m the one who put you in that body… and I don’t care what it takes. I’m going to make you normal again-” “Brother, I was right there with you and I knew that there were risks! So quit trying to shoulder all of this on your own. I can’t watch you suffer like this, not on your own, I can’t just stand back and watch other people get hurt for what I’ve done. Like what happened to Mr. Hughes, I felt like it was my fault when I found out he was dead… and I told myself that if it meant other people getting hurt then I don’t even want my body back. Brother, I’ve met other people who weren’t exactly human but they still managed to live their lives with a purpose. And even in this body, it hasn’t stopped other people from treating me like I’m still human. This body could reject me any time, but it’s the same with being human, you never know when you might get sick or die in an accident. So I can still get by like this… I can live a somewhat normal life… and that’s how I’ve managed to keep going, but now… I can’t take it any more, because, I can’t… I can’t take all the nights by myself, its too lonely. And that’s why I have to get back to normal!” Alphonse explained, you were almost in tears, “Sure, and your going to, we’ll knock that truth jerk on his butt!” Edward ran up the stairs and walked in the other direction with Alphonse.

You smiled at him and walked forward, but something shocked you. His shoulders were so broad, you couldn’t help but smile. “Rea…” Winry looked at you confused, “I’m perfect… just… perfect…” you smiled towards the boys.