The Genie And The Librarian

OnE

Image

Image
Thank you SmurfGirl!

Image
Thank you Howl!

Image
Thank you Howl!

Why is it that when you want to be left alone, someone is always bugging you?

“Go away Serina,” I grumbled, not even bothering to look up from my book.

I heard my sister sigh as she put her purse and keys on the little table sitting by the door, “I’m not going anywhere until you tell me what happened between you and mom.”

“Not gonna happen. Now leave.”

I flipped to the next page in my book.

Then growled as Serina ripped the book from my hands, “Give me my book back!”

“Not until you tell me what happened.”

I glared at her. Here she stood, in my house, with her long, perfectly curled brown hair, chocolate never-ending eyes, and a perfectly petite figure.

How dare she flaunt her perfectness in my house?

Pushing my short blonde hair from my eyes I throw her another glare, “She sent you here to convince me to go, didn’t she?”

Serina looked away, her eyes roaming my living room before turning back to me, “No?”

She’s always been a bad liar.

“Is that an answer or a question?”

“Answer?”

I rolled my eyes, “You’re a horrible liar, Serina. Now give my book and go away.”

I leaned forward in my chair and tried to grab my book back, but she just outstretched her arm away from me, “Serina!”

“No! You have to go!”

“I’m not going!”

Shoving out of my chair I stood at my full 5’11’’, towering over my sister’s 5’4’’, “I’m not going and you can’t make me.”

~*~

The next morning I walked to work, my mood as gloomy as the dark clouds in the sky.

She’s making me go to my parents Fall Soiree.

The tears always get me, always

What can I say? She’s my sister and I love.

What’s one night of torture compared to my sister’s happiness?

Oh, right, now I remember.

Hell.

But I can’t back out now, not after I’ve already given my word.

Darn me and my word.

Sighing I walk up the steps to the library that I work at and pushed my way into the building. Taking a deep breath I relax, the feeling of home comforting me.

“Hey, Carine!”

Turning I smiled at one of the library's regular visitors, “Hello, Mrs. Anderson. Did you find everything you were looking for?”

“Oh yes! I always find just the right books whenever I come in.”

“That’s good, are you ready to check out?”

“Yes, I think I’ve got everything I need.”

I smiled, “Just me a sec to time in and I’ll be right out to help you.”

Turning from Mrs. Anderson, confident that she’d find at least one more book, I navigate through the aisles of books and head into the back room.

Once I timed in, a full ten minutes early as always, I walked to the check out desk.

“Alright, what did you pick this week?”

Mrs. Anderson smiled, “Oh, same old same old.”

Returning her smile I run the books under the scanner, “These will be back in two weeks, but I’m sure you know the drill.”

Mrs. Anderson laughed, “That I do. Hey, have you visited that new antique shop down the street yet?”

I shook my head and bagged her books, “No, I don’t know if I will or not yet.”

“You should, you never know what you’ll find.”
♠ ♠ ♠
New story, how does it sound so far?