The Genie And The Librarian

ElEvEn

Image
Thank you SmurfGirl!

Image
Thank you Howl!

Image
Thank you Howl!

Tikaani watched me closely as I dressed for work, deciding to wear a pair of dark wash jeans and a plain black shirt. After sliding on plain black flats I quickly run a brush through my blond hair.

Once done I turn to Tikaani as she relaxed on my bed, “So, what do you think? Do I look presentable?”

Tikaani tilted her head, almost like she was considering my question, before she nodded slightly.

I narrowed my eyes, “Did you just…? Nah, you must have let out a silent sneeze or something like that.”

Shaking my head and softly laughing I walk from the room, aware that Tikaani followed silently behind me.

Walking to the kitchen I planned to make a quick breakfast before heading in to work, but before I could make it through the entrance way I stopped.

Both Amil and Amak were sitting on the floor, food packaging and leftovers scattered around them. Amil was passed out against the refrigerator while Amak snored in his lap.

Great, not only do I have to work all day today, but I now have to go grocery shopping.

And I’m forced to get breakfast on the go.

Looking through the rest of my apartment I feel like burrowing back in my bed. The couch cushions were tossed across the room, trash all over the floor, and is that…?

Why is a penguin sleeping under my small coffee table?

Sighing, I walk closer to Amil and shove his leg with my foot, “Wake up, you glutton.”

All he did was groan.

So I kicked him a little harder.

Still nothing.

Letting out a frustrated sigh I turn and grab a large cup from the cabinet. After filling the cup with cold water I smile as I pour the contents all over Amil.

He sputtered, his eyes going wide as he jerked away, “What the-?”

“Get up.”

“What?” he looked up at me, all innocent like, “What’s wrong?”

“I have to go to work. By the time I come back I want this entire house to sparkle.”

Amil shrugged, “No biggie, you just have to wish for it-”

“No! There will be no wishing, no magic. You will clean this house with you own two hands and for the love of God you will put that penguin back where it belongs! I screamed, pointing a finger at the offending bird.

Amil laughed, “I forgot about that penguin.”

“Right, you forgot. What the hell happened?”

“Well, Amak and I couldn’t sleep, so we sort of played all night.”

“And why didn’t I hear anything? I never woke once and from the looks of my apartment you guys were probably pretty loud.”

Amil shrugged, “I just silenced it all, only Amak and I could hear what went on.”

I closed my eyes, taking a few minutes to collect myself, “Okay. I’m going to head to work now. I want you to clean this house without using any magic. When I get back we’re going to have a little talk.”

I turned and walked out of the kitchen. When I reached to door I turned, “Oh, and Tikaani’s in charge ‘till I get back.”

“What?” Amil squeaked, “You’re leaving a dog-”

I slammed the door before he could finish.

I definitely need a coffee.

~*~

“Where’s that young man you brought the other day? I have a bunch of historical books I need him to authorize.”

I frowned at Mrs. Gregory, “Authorize?”

“yes, I want to make sure the information in these books are correct.”

I sighed, tossing a book I was encoding into the system down, “Don’t tell me you think he knows anything about all that.”

Mrs. Gree shrugged, “He seemed to know a lot about Cleopatra.”

I closed my eyes as my head fell back against my neck, “So does the internet.”

When I heard nothing but silence I turned my head and opened my eyes to see her staring at me, “What?”

“Honey, are you okay? You don’t look so good today.”

“It must be because the man you’re giving such praise to threw a party last night in my apartment with a wolf and a penguin.”

Mrs. Gregory was silent for another few seconds, “Are you on something? I won’t judge you if you are taking narcotics.”

Jeez, today keeps getting better and better, “No, Mrs. Gregory, I’m not taking any drugs.”

“Well, maybe you should go home.”

The mess in my apartment ran through my mind, “No, I think I’ll give him more time to clean.”

Mrs. Gree gave me a look, like she thought a I was crazy or something, then nodded, “Alright, but if you want to go home just let me know.”

I watched Mrs. Gregory walk off, shaking her head like she was talking to herself.

I sighed, turning to grab the book so I could finish encoding it when someone slammed a large hard cover text on the counter in front of me.

I looked up to see Victoria glaring at me, her green eyes shooting daggers as her perfectly styled curls bounced with every movement.

I raised a brow, “Hello Victoria, is there something I can help you with?”

“Yes, I would like to check out this book.”

“Okay,” I grabbed the book, turning it over to scan it, but stopped when I noticed the cover, “Life as a Queen: The Cleopatra Story’.You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“No, I’m not kidding. I wanted to catch up on my reading so that Amil and I will have something in common to talk about at your sister’s Soiree.”

I frowned, “Who told you Amil was going?”

“Your mother. She thought he’d want someone who could actually keep him entertained at the party instead of just forcing him to stand around while you visit the food tables.”

“Great. That’s just peachy,” I slid the book under the scanner, handing the text back to Victoria when the scanner beeped, “Okay, now I need your card.”

Victoria shrugged, dug through her purse, and handed me a pink card.

I sighed, “Not your credit card. I need your library card.”

“Oh,” Victoria frowned, “I don’t have one of those.”

“Alright,” I opened a drawer and pulled out a new card, “This is your library card. If you lose it there’s a five dollar fee for a new one.”

I scanned her card, then handed it and her receipt to her, “The book’s due back in two weeks.”

“Lovely,” Victoria grabbed the book from the counter, “I guess I’ll see you at the Soiree, or, really, the food tables.”

I slammed my head against the desk as Victoria walked out, “Today is not my day.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw, poor Carine.

I think comments will help her feel better =D