The Genie And The Librarian

EiGhT

Image
Thank you SmurfGirl!

Image
Thank you Howl!

Image
Thank you Howl!

“Carine!”

I looked up from a pile of returned books to see my superior, Mrs. Gregory, rush to my side.

At sixty-four she still managed to shuffle her ample body through the library in record time, her ‘sophisticated’ silver hair twisted up into a loose bun at the back of her head.

Smiling I step back from the table, “What’s up, Mrs. Gee?”

“Did you hire a new man without telling me?”

I frowned at her narrowed eyes, “No, I haven’t hired anyone.”

Her stern face brightened into a smile, “Well, I suggest you hurry up and hire this young man!”

I blinked, “Excuse me?”

But she’d already walked away, heading back the way she came.

Deciding to see what she was talking about, I followed.

And when she turned into the Ancient History section my frown deepened.

The only person I know who goes back here is Henry Ferguhson.

And at fourteen he’s a little young to hire.

Shaking my head I turn the corner prepared to greet Henry when I stop, wide eyed.

If Henry’s here I can’t see him.

Not through this crowd of people.

This crowd of giggling girls.

Females of all ages are pressed into this narrow row like a can of sardines.

From about fifteen to forty, women stretched and whispered, trying to get the attention of whatever it was they were surrounding.

Mrs. Gregory, who’d walked to stand by my side, leaned into me, “I’ve never seen so many people in this section before.”

I just shook my head, “What’s going on?”

Mrs. Gee shrugged, but before she could say anything I heard the one voice I never thought to place in this situation.

“Now ladies, you’ve got it all wrong. Cleopatra had to marry her younger brother, who was twelve, because she was forced to have a consort. When he died she had to marry here even younger brother.”

I sighed as I heard Amil’s voice above the whispers.

The other women’s voices died down as Amil continued, “Luckily,” he voice was light hearted and full of amusement, “she found me. She wished for me to bring her someone she could love and still keep her great power. So I sent her to Julius Caesar wrapped in a carpet, it was love at first sight.”

At this more giggles sounded, and even a few heartfelt sighs.

Rolling my eyes I push my way through the growing crowd of women, sighing as I finally make it to the middle.

Amil had one foot propped on the last step on a small ladder used to reach the higher levels. He was smiling and practically pruning under all the female attention.

Then his eyes hit me and his smile widened, “Cleopatra was a beautiful woman, but I dare say Carine has more beauty than even the last Pharaoh of Egypt.”

More gasps and sighs sounded as I stared at Amil with shocked eyes.

I can’t…

What do I…

Great! Now I’m all flustered!

I felt my cheeks redden as Amil laughed, “Even her blush adds to her beauty.”

“Uh…”

Right, real smart comment, Carine, nicely done.

“Does my blush make me beautiful, too?”

I cringed at the sickly sweet voice behind me. Turning I see Victoria Carelli, heiress to the six star Carelli Luxury Hotels, standing behind me in her Prada dress and Gucci heels.

I frowned, “You can read?”

My eyes widened as I realized I said that out loud.

If her glare could throw daggers I would be skewered.

“Of course I can read!”

“Well I would hope so, otherwise all those smacks and lectures Sister Caroline had to give you every time you stuttered over a word wasn’t very beneficial, now was it?”

Crap, there I go again, talking without consulting my brain.

“Why you insolent little-“

“Ladies,” Amil smoothed, stepping between Victoria and I, “let’s not fight.”

“Oh, I don’t know what got over me,” Victoria crooned, “I’m so sorry for causing a scene.”

I rolled my eyes, scenes were her specialty.

Always have been, always will be.

“Please, you live for-“

Amil’s big hand closed over my mouth, almost covering my nose and suffocating me.

“Come on, Carine, I think it’s time for us to leave.”

Amil practically dragged me from Victoria, through the crowd of girls, and to the front desk.

He let me go, looked at me, and burst into laughs.

“You were a Catholic school girl?”

“’Were’” I stressed, “Past tense.”

His eyes roamed down my body, back to my face, then he almost doubled over from his laughs.

“Sister Carine Carmichael!”

“Shut up!”

He pointed a finger at me and gasped, “Blasphemy!”

Throwing my arms in the air I grumbled, “Is there never any winning against you?”

Pulling my hand back I punched his arm.

He gasped again, “Abuse! I’m calling the pope!”

I turned to walk out the library, “Go ahead, maybe he’ll put up with you so I don’t have to.”

Just as I hit the sidewalk Amil ran to my side and threw his arm over my shoulders, “Nope, once I start a commitment, I finish it.”

I sighed, “Go to Hell.”

“Sacrilege!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I love this chapter!

I don't know what possessed me to make her a catholic school girl...

But I'm glad I did!

What do ya'll think?