Status: updated layout, and summary (:

Existence

The Hall of Dread

Annabel
Image

As we exited the woods in the cart, Andrea pressed her lips together and fidgeted impatiently. She had been on edge since we had left the manor, and she wouldn't give a hint to anyone, although I could have guessed that everyone - except me- knew why she was so excited.

"Andrea, don't hold your breath, we still have a few more minutes. You can't see him til later. Let Annabel see for herself." Dolan scolded. She frowned and crossed her arms.

"But... It isn't fair. I haven't seen him since he was put away a-"

"What? Are you talking about Damien?" I inquired. She nodded her head and I raised an eyebrow. She she opened her mouth to respond, James shook his head.

"Anna doesn't need to know, not now at least. Save the talking for later." James said. She nodded, and we rode in the cart in silence for the next few minutes until the yard came into view. The piazza was lit up, as it was now dim outside, and that when the feeling of tears began to sneak up on me again. My throat tightened and I felt the muscles in my face tense up. As Fausto set the cart down, I got out hesitantly, and James held out a hand for me. I took it, and he led me into the house. Dolan, Burke, and Andrea waited outside.

James led me into the kitchen, which was brightened by a few candles on the table. He flipped on a light switch to reveal the forest green walls with the dark stone from the center down. The granite counter tops reflected the light to brighten the counter area, and the black refrigerator hosted the many pictures of Grandmother and Grandfather Evanns. In the top left corner of the 'fridge, was a picture of a little girl with black hair and fair skin, and a little boy with black hair, pale skin, and a red glint in his eyes. The picture had been taken in front of a waterfall.

James caught me staring at the picture, and he immediately took my hand.

"Come on, Anna. We don't want Andrea to have an aneurysm because she is being deprived of someone, do we? And don't you want to.. see him?" I nodded to him, and he led me past the pantry and to a door. It was as tall as the walls, and it had a miniature door built into it at the base. He dug his hand in his pocket, and pulled out a big ring of keys.

After unlocking the door, he guided me down a set of stairs. At the base, he led me down a hallway, and then opened a second door. There were two torches lit on the wall. In front of us, it was nothing but blackness, pitch blackness. James took one of the bright torches, and took my hand again. Leading the way, he led me straight, and then we took a right. The hallway was long, and then I found myself being pulled around another turn to the right. Finally, I saw James reach in his pocket and pull out the keys again. He looked back at me.

"Are you ready, Anna?" he whispered. I nodded. He pressed his lips together, and then pushed the key into the door. As the huge wooden door creaked open, I heard the sound of shackles against the stone floor. As we walked down the wide hallway, I looked left and right, trying to figure out if we were going down a hallway, or passing cell doors. Finally, I remembered James had the torch. I looked ahead, where the flame was illuminating, and saw a series of cell doors. To my left, white bony fingers were wrapped around the thick, metal bars.

Consciously, I folded my arms and continued to follow James down the expansive hallway. Finally, we got to a dead end. James looked at me, and then took the key out again.

"We're now going to go into the Hall of Dread... Anna, it's scary in there. This is only the level five ward, in the Hall of Dread, the prisoners are dangerous, they don't even need food." he said. I nodded, shuddering at the thought of the prisoners I might behold once we entered. James poked the key against the door, multiple time, missing the key-hole.

"Um, mind helping me out? I can't see the door, my sights given out already." he said. I nodded, and stepped up to put the key in the hole. I turned the key, and pushed it open. The air that fumed from inside the darkness of the hall beyond smelled as if it were dead, and the temperature was icy.

James stepped in first, taking my hand and pulling me into the dimly lit walkway. We passed a few cells that actually had cement walls, and doors with little glass windows, but I didn't see anyone. James stopped at the third cell on the right, and put the torch up to an unlit one. Lighting it, he nodded toward the cell, and stepped back. I walked up to the door, and peered inside the little window.

A figure stood in the corner by a little wooden bedside table. He was large, muscular, and dressed in a long, black trench coat and black trousers. He had long, black hair and protruding horns coming forth from his forehead. As the man stepped into the light from the candles inside the room, I couldn't imagine my brother as such a beast. I was frightened, at that moment. I didn't believe it could actually be my brother. James turned the handle on the door, and pulled it open.

Damien's eyes cast over toward the open door. He bared his fangs into a smile.

"Annabel, my sister, I sensed you would be coming to me sooner or later." he said. His voice was smooth, almost lulling. I didn't fall into his charade, and I stepped into the room. James closed the door, leaving Damien and I in the room alone.

"Damien." I said, forcing the words from my lips. He took a seat in a velvety armchair, and gestured to another identical armchair across from him.

"Sit, my sister." he said. I walked over to the seat, hearing nothing but my footsteps on the cold stone. Once I was seated, he cocked his head to the side and gazed at me.

"The last time I saw you... you were very little. Nine? I believe. My sweet Annabel." he recollected in his smooth tone. I nodded, and surveyed the room, trying to strain from eye contact with the demon.

"You know, Anna, that I knew it was you coming because I could smell your blood from the very second you set foot on this property. How's mum and dad? Good I hope. Sad story, about the grandparents. Tragic, really." he sighed, "I was hoping you would talk. You haven't said a word." he looked at me innocently.

"Cut your shit, Damien. I'm not going to play into your tricks. I just want to talk to you like a brother, aren't you miserable? Living down here day and night, no food? You're in complete isolation, for God's sake!" I said furiously. He chuckled, making chills run down my spine.

"Anna, Annie, Annabellia, Annabel... Perhaps you will talk and act more civil. I won't tolerate a youngster like you to be bossing me day and night." he soothed. I bit my tongue.

"Youngster? I am eighteen years old."
"Mind me, teenager, I meant."
"Damien. Please, I was expecting something more along the lines of a 'get me out of here', but I suppose that's not going to happen." I sighed.

Clicking his tongue, he shook his head, "Actually, you are quite wrong there, little sister. I need to get out of here. Perhaps you mean you wanted me to say something along the lines of 'Annabel, I'm done with the Darkness, help me earn the path to Light!' That, my fair maiden, will not happen."

"Damien, what happened to you?" I asked, my throat beginning to burn. I felt as if he was rejecting my cry for help.

"Zaebos changed my manner to the correct version of immortality. I no longer hurt, feel pain. I cause it. I'm powerful. Way more powerful than any other demon in the universal space. Unfortunately, I was seized unexpectedly, thanks to you, my darling sister. But let me tell you, being in this room, it's work. I makes me want to go insane. But then I think back, about my darling Andrea..." he trailed off, gazing into space.

I finally understood. Andrea and Damien were lovers, a couple, no wonder she was anxious and he was acting so upset.

"She's the only true sunshine I know." he said finally, looking at me. His eyes finally pierced mine, slitted red eyes, reminding me of rose petals. A streak of blood ran down his cheek from the corner of his eyes. He wiped the tear away, and his face tightened up into a serious expression once again.

"She's here. She wants to see you." I said. He nodded

"My darling, I haven't seen her in nine years... Will I get to see her?" he asked, his eyes looked pleading. I nodded.

As I stood up, he fidgeted around for a moment, and once I was at the door, he stood up, forcing the chair backwards.

"I love you, Annie. Your my little princess."

Image
chapter five, sorry it
was soooo long.(:
filler chapter, really. Gotta keep this moving forwaaaard
:3
comments please?
don't be a silent reader