Status: updated layout, and summary (:

Existence

Reading Between The Lines

Annabel
Image

The sound of the his voice, I knew it was sincere. I glanced over my shoulder, his sad eyes lowering. He retreated back to sit in the armchair. Staring at the floor, he motioned for me to leave. I opened my mouth to say something, but I obeyed and opened the door. The closing felt relieving, but it left me with almost false hope. James took me by the hand once again, and we started the walk to the stairs. The whole time, I was just thinking. I was pondering about all the possibilities Damien could have if he gave up the Darkness, but I also knew better than to expect him to just wake up and decide he wanted to become Light. He was too deep in Darkness, I wondered if he'd ever be able to be pulled out.

Finally, the bright lights of the kitchen came into view. Andrea, still in full human form, was almost flying in the air as she saw us return.

"Can I go now?" she whined. James nodded, and handed her the keys. She took off running down the stairs, and disappeared into the darkness, leaving a faint trail of glowing purple behind her.

"Excuse me, madam, your room is ready." Burke said. For the first time since I had arrived, I noticed she had a very thick French accent. I nodded to her, and James and I followed her down the entrance hall, and up the grand staircase. There, she led me to the last door at the end of the hall, my grandparent's old bedroom.

Burke opened the door, and I found that all my suitcases and belongings were all neatly put away already. My bedspread had already been turned over, and a glass of water sat next to my bed. I smiled.

"Merci, Burke." I said. She smiled, curtsied, and then walked back down the hallway. James followed me into the room, and closed the door behind him.

"So, Annie. You know what you have to do tomorrow, right?" he asked, and I nodded.

"Wake up, shower, eat, and then tend to my assignment." I smiled as he chuckled.

"Looks like you got it all down."

"That's right I do, I'm on top of this." I said. He grinned.

"That, you're on your way to be. So, what'd you and Damien talk about, I heard arguing."

I sighed at the mention of my brother, "It was, well, it's difficult to explain." I said. He nodded.

"I get 'ya. Well, fair maiden, I bid you goodnight now, get a good nights sleep, got lots to do tomorrow." he said. He gave a slight wave, and then left the room. I stripped down, and then opened the closet to find my clothes all hung, and my pants folded. I found a pair of shorts, and my red v-neck, and put them on. Yawning, I turned the lights off and climbed into bed, falling asleep with ease.

***

The sun shone brightly through the windows when I awoke. Looking at my clock, I saw a folded up piece of paper, and the ring of keys. It was nine thirty in the morning, so I grabbed the piece of paper and the keys and stretched. Sitting up, I unraveled the paper, and read the letter.

Annabel,

I need to inform you of the grave information I have just obtained. After the visit with your brother last night, he seemed to have shut down. Andrea wasn't even able to cheer him up. He won't talk. We desperately need him to assist us, so make it part of your duty to work on him as well. Hopefully, you're going to be meeting with Alexander this morning. I know you don't need the water to see the creatures, but drink up, my dear! There's a long day ahead. We will be eating breakfast around 9:45, so hopefully you will be up so we can eat as a household.

Happy to have you back here, Anna!
Sincerely, James


I sighed, and closed the letter, and then slid off the bed. I walked into the private bathroom, and got into the shower, quickly washing my hair, my body, and completing all the necessary feminine hygene demands. Then, I got out and wrapped myself up in a towel. Checking the time, I walked into the bedroom again, and pulled out a pair of jeans and a black v-neck from the closet. I had ten minutes before breakfast, so I hastened to get dressed and blow-dry my hair.

Slipping the key ring into my back pocket, I put on my make-up and then dashed out the door, down the hall, and down the stairs to the kitchen. James laughed once I had made it to the kitchen.

"Morning workout?" he asked. I smirked and shook my head. Burke, Dolan, Andrea, and James were already seated at the table, blueberry pancakes piled on each of their plates. I sat down in an empty seat, and shuffled two pancakes onto the plate, as well as some eggs and bacon. Taking a forkful of eggs and putting it into my mouth, I noticed Andrea grinning at James. He was shaking his head.

"What's going on?" I asked, confused.

"Andrea made a breakthrough- she wants to tell you. That note I wrote you, I wrote that before you were awake, so Andrea snuck down to the Hall of Dread and talked to Damien again. It seems he's starting the fight against the Darkness within himself." he said happily. I smiled.

"That's fantastic!" Andrea smiled, nodding.

"So all you really are expected of today, is to go see Alexander. Fausto has the cart ready outside whenever you're ready, dear." Andrea said. I agreed, and started to eat my food faster, eager to go and see Alexander.

Image
so, here's six. I'm probably gonna write more tonight into tomorrow.
comments, PLEASE?
:3
don't be a silent reader