Musician's Do It Better

Jamie was her bands singer, and when necessary guitarist. Her motto was forever, Musician’s do it better. But for a month exactly she goes missing. Because Jamie was always the girl to pick up and head off out of nowhere they all assumed things. Amy thought she was at Jenna’s. Jenna thought she was at Michaels, Michael thought she was at Amy’s. When she came back they didn’t notice anything different it her.

Jamie had always been one to retreat inside herself in hard times, but this was to a new extreme. It was months until anyone noticed the differences, really noticed them. How instead of laughing at smiling with her band she hid up in her room, and if you were completely quiet you could hear her crying. How they didn’t have practice and a lining of dust was covering the guitars and drums along with microphone and speakers. They assumed she was anorexic but as well as that she was a cutter.

But Jamie was neither. She didn’t eat because her stomach didn’t hunger for food. Her razor got tinted red and clogged slightly with skin because her sobs shake her legs to much to make a carful shave.

The once noisy, music filled house grew silent. No more late night songs. No more waking up at three am to hear Jamie’s beautiful voice floating with her guitar. No more band practice ending with semi-frozen Pepsi slushy’s. She stopped leaving her room except to shower and use the bathroom. She went to school, and her parents gave up on therapy. No one noticed the silent screams that would drift from her room every night. The sound her tears made hitting her pillow, or her puppy whimpering next to her.

All they know is she left and came back different.

What happened to Jamie?