Mugging at Gun Point.

Mugging at Gunpoint.

Billie Joe lay in the gutter sobbing, unable to move after being struck down. One hand protectively over his head, he franticly searched his pockets for his cell phone. He knew it was one thing they hadn’t taken. He let out a small cry and triumphantly pulled it out from his jacket and slid it open. Fumbling with the buttons he managed to dial Mike’s number. He was nearest. Trying to hold back sobs, he hoped and prayed that Mike would answer. Billie had stopped believing in god a long time ago. But now, he found himself praying. The dial tone suddenly stopped, and he heard Mike’s voice blast through his mind.

“Hello?” Billie heard Mike say.

“Mike! Help me, please Mike!” Billie cried into the phone, pulling himself up off the pavement, and slumping against the wall, panic rising in his chest once more.

The other end of the phone was quiet for a second, as Mike listened to Billie Joe’s desperate cries for help.

“Mike?” Billie cried into his cell-phone once more, until he heard Mike yell to someone, most probably Tré.

“Billie Joe? What the fuck is up with you? Where are you? Is it Adie…? The kids? Tell me?”

Billie heard his best friend’s voice once again, and more tears filled his eyes. Billie didn’t answer, to be honest. He didn’t know.

“Mike just come!” Billie Joe whispered, closing his eyes tight. “Davidson Street” Billie added, and clicked off his phone, staring down at his fingers.

The only piece of jewellery that was left on his body was his wedding band. He hid that. Closing his eyes, Billie Joe gathered his thoughts about what had just happened. His chest heaving, he tried to calm himself down.

Flashback

Billie Joe wandered through familiar streets, on his way home from the bar, where he had been earlier that night, getting piss drunk with the band. He smiled to himself thinking about Tre’s crazy antics of the night as he walked down a dark street lit ever so often by pools of light, pouring from the streetlamps dotted along the side-walk.

Adie didn’t like him walking alone in the dark. He would have driven home, but he was too drunk. Adie didn’t like him driving drunk either. He sighed and carried on walking, picking up pace a little. It wasn’t the distance that bothered him, it was the empty streets. Not the sort of place you wanted to be walking around at half twelve at night. Billie checked behind him and speeded up once more. The quicker he was home, the better.

His feet seemed to carry him through the back streets of Oakland, following a memorized path. He turned into Davidson Street, and lit up a cigarette. Taking a drag, and then carried on walking humming London Calling by The Clash. He stopped when a shadow fell over him, and he was forcefully dragged round by a hand on his shoulder.

“Hey!” Billie Joe cried. “What’s the big idea? Le-” He was cut off when a gun was shoved
against him temple. The cigarette he was about to take a drag on fell out of his mouth and onto the side-walk.

“Well, well, well…look who it is! The famous Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day.” A rough male voice cackled. “How much dough do you have on you tonight then Mr. Armstrong?” He asked.

Billie froze, trying not to concentrate on the cold metal of the gun pushing into his temple. He could feel panic start to rise in his chest. Not now. He thought to himself. Any time but now. He closed his eyes and breathed in. He heard a faint click and the gun was pushed further into his temple. Swallowing, Billie Joe mentally counted how much was stashed in his wallet. There was at least $100 dollars left.

“I- I don’t know…” Billie mumbled feebly, breathing deeply in feeling his heart start to pound in his chest. He squirmed, trying to get away from this psychotic freak who was holding a gun to his head. He tightened his grip on Billie’s shoulder and pushed the gun into his head again.

“You don’t know? Give me your wallet then.” the mugger snarled, pushing the gun yet deeper into Billie’s temple. “Give it to me!” He yelled at a frozen Billie Joe.

Scrambling in his pockets, Billie slipped off his wedding ring and pushed it deep into the back pocket of his jeans. The guy wasn’t going to get his hands on that. He fumbled around, eventually pulling out a brown leather wallet, stuffed full of notes.

“Here!” Billie Joe cried tossing it on the ground in front of him with trembling hands. The guys eyes lit up and he smirked at Billie Joe.

“Now, empty your pockets.” The mugger spat.

He stood there watching Billie Joe panicking, searching his pockets. He pulled out many plectrums, car keys, and even a few cents of spare change, tossing them onto the floor. His hands, and breathing getting shakier and rapider every single second.

The mugger seemed impressed, smirking at Billie Joe, he removed the gun from his temple, watching Billie Joe getting ready to run, he was about to when the mugger
raised his arm, in which he held the gun, and struck Billie Joe over the back of the head, watching as he fell to the ground. Then he bent down and picked up the wallet. He was about to walk away when he noticed something glint in the moon-light around Billie Joe’s neck. He bent down, and Billie felt the guys fingers wrap around his neck. The mugger tugged at a silver beaded pick necklace that was hanging out of Billie’s shirt, gathered up the rest of Billie’s belongings and fled.

He lay there sobbing in the street, trying to control the panic attack he was on the verge of having. Breathing deeply, Billie Joe raised his hand to the back of his head where he had been struck. In the pale moonlight, he saw blood on his hands, and he once again pressed it against the back of his head, tears streaming down his face. Controlling his panic attack seemed easier said than done. He fumbled around in his back pocket and pulled out his wedding ring and slipped it back on his finger tracing the shape. He breathed in deeply and pulled himself up against the wall. Pulling himself together, he pulled out his cell-phone. It was one of the things that guy hadn’t took. Billie swallowed and slid it open, fumbling with the buttons he dialled Mike’s number…

End Flashback

Mike ran down Davidson Street, ignoring the feeble moans coming from Tré who had too much alcohol in him to run fast. Mike skidded to a halt when he saw the small figure of Billie Joe pressed against the wall, cell-phone in one hand, the other placed behind his head. He had tears running down his cheek, and blood down the side of his face, which had dripped from a cut on his temple. Mike’s mouth dropped open as he stared at Billie Joe. He slowly opened his eyes, more tears falling down his cheeks and his fingers scrabbled round his neck, to where his pick necklace once lay. He let out a choked sob when he realised it was gone, but turning his head to Mike, he sobbed again. Mike just blinked and then went over to Billie, pulling him up into standing position, and pulling him into a hug.

“Billie…what the fuck happened to you?” Mike said in almost a whisper.

“I got mugged Mike!” Billie Joe cried. “ I was walking down here smoking when this…this guy pulled me round and stuck a gun t-to my head telling me to empty my pockets! He took everything Mike! All my money…all my credit cards…all my plectrums… he even took my necklace!” Billie sobbed into Mikes shoulder, trying to control his emotions but failing.

“Billie…come on…you can buy more plectrums…” Mike said. “At least you still have your wedding band.” Mike said.

“Yeah…only cause I took it off and shoved it in my pocket!” Billie cried. “They took my necklace that Adie brought me! She might think I lost it because I’m drunk.”

“She wont Billie. Come on me and Tré are taking you home. Now!” Mike said, as Tré grabbed Billie’s arm, and Mike the other, helping him walk.

They weren’t too far away from Billie’s house. Only a ten minute walk. They arrived at his gates, and Billie clumsily punched the code in to make the electric gates open. He swallowed and let out a small helpless sob when he realised he was locked out of his own house. Mike glanced at him wanting the keys. Billie shook his head feebly.

“He took them too…” Billie mumbled. Mike swallowed and pressed the door-bell. A light came on in the porch as Adie opened the door. She glanced at Mike and Tré holding Billie Joe up.

“Drunk again?” She asked smirking at Billie Joe. Mike shook his head and her smirk faded fast, turning into a worried frown. She helped bring Billie inside and sat him down on the sofa, where he collapsed into Adies arms still shaking.

“T-they took everything.” He said, his voice cracking. Adie looked up and glanced at Mike and Tré, the frown in her forehead deepening.

“He was mugged.” Mike said swallowing. “He left the bar early. I offered to walk with him because he’s….too drunk to drive but he said no he’ll be fine so I left him to it. An hour later my cell-phone goes off and it’s Billie saying that he needed help but he wouldn’t say why, he just said come to Davidson Street…so me and Tré came as fast as we could and we found him like this, but like…y'know…like he is after he has had a panic attack and he keeps saying that… the man took everything and that’s all we can get out of him.” Mike gabbled avoiding Adie's eyes.

She just swallowed, gob-smacked. “He needs sleep…you wont get anything out of him while he’s drunk…” Adie mumbled.

Mike came over and helped Adie take him upstairs to their room and put him on the bed.

“Call me in the morning? To tell me how he is?” Mike said, glancing worryingly at Billie who was curled up in a ball.

Adie nodded and Mike went back downstairs to take Tré home, who had passed out on the chair. Adie said good-night to them both, went back upstairs to her and Billie’s room were Billie had got himself undressed and was not curled up in bed, his eyes squeezed shut. Adie went in, shut the door, undressed and went and lay next to him wrapping her arms around him.
Only then did Billie feel safe. He uncurled himself and pulled himself against Adie, not wanting to let go.

It was going to take a long time to get his confidence back.