St. Elsewhere

Part 15

[b[THREE TEXT MESSAGES RECEIVED

TWO MISSED CALLS.

Mia smiled a smile of relief, picking up her phone to read the messages.

She was back in her old room in the family town house after the hospital visit.

It was lucky that the nurse had chosen that particular moment to walk in and give Mrs Ferguson her lunch. Mia knew that her mother had wanted her to come back from London and give up ballet to look after her for quite sometime. Personal nurses were expensive. Being a lecturer didn't bring in much money, and the only reason why Mia was able to attend the Royal Ballet was because she was on a scholarship, as her mother loved reminding her.

But leaving London had become a taboo now that her life there was falling into place so well. She had friends. She was happy. She could make it as a successful dancer now more so than two years ago.

Sighing Mia returned to her phone opening the messages.

One was from Nat asking her how she was and if there was any chance of them meeting up.

The other was from Lauren saying she better be back soon because Sean wouldn't stop talking about her, and that she missed her.

The last one was from Sean.

It's too quite now. I don't like it :D Xxx

Was all his text said.

But the effect it had on Mia was such a transformation that seemed almost unlikely in such a situation.

Mia's smile, which she had been hiding from her mother, had spread out on her face again and her eyes had gotten some of the old shine back.

One of the missed calls was from Lauren.

The other from Sean.

Mia's smile widened and without hesitation she pressed the call back button.

The phone rang two times before a cocky and happy voice answered.

"At last! Thought you'd never call back!" The relieved voice of Sean flooded through the speaker causing Mia to laugh.

"Sorry I was… out. Out with my parents. Family dinner."

"I feel you pain. Everything ok?" Sean asked with concern.

"Everything's just fine." Mia said lying through her teeth.

"I'm glad for you! See you didn't have had to worry that much!"

Why she was doing what she was doing, Mia didn't really know. Telling him the truth would be too hard. It would mean admitting a lot of things. For example that she was scared. Scared at this point being the wrong word. Terrified suited the situation perfectly. She was terrified that she would have to leave London. Leave Lauren and her brother. Leave Sean and the music that she had just began discovering.

But admitting fear is not something that comes easy to human nature. We like to pretend that it doesn't exist. We choose to ignore it because it is the ugly, nasty controlling side of human nature. Fear is used and abused. Always.

Mia was not going to be Fear's victim.

However what she didn't know was that by ignoring it, just like so many people before her had, she was letting Fear win. It was eating her up inside. Slowly painfully, almost like the same curse that was plaguing her mother.

By not letting people help her Fear was winning.

It would take time for Mia to realise this.

But it was time of which Mia didn't have enough of.