St. Elsewhere

Part 16

"Mia you need to be kind to your mother."

Oh how that line was getting old.

It was the second day of Mia's weekend with her family. Sunday was meant to be a calm day. A family day where you only talk about the best in each other.

But Mia's family was… dysfunctional to say the least.

Mia was meant to visit her mother again in the hospital before she took the train down to London again to be in the Ballet School and in classes on Monday. But Mia refused. Her mother was the last person that she wanted to see right now.

However just as Mia was about to sit down at the old and worn wooden kitchen table with her black coffee, the house phone rang.

Mia's father had answered it and Mia only heard the muffled sounds that echoed down the bare hallway of her childhood house that held so little pleasant memories.

A minute later her father came into the kitchen. He looked so much older. It was as if he had aged three years in the space of three minutes.

"What's wrong Dad?"

"We need to go to the hospital. Now."

- - -

Mia never liked to blame others for her situation. She felt that that was being a coward. She always stood up for herself and made sure that everybody knew when it was her fault.

However at this precise moment nothing was her fault, but she felt as though it was.

She was back in that situation that she had been in about 7 years ago. She was sat in the same orange chair and she felt just about as small as she had done when she had been thirteen.

Her father was with her mother's doctors in the office. She could see through the glass window. Her father had a flushed face and looked agitated. The doctors had 'understanding' face on and were attempting to calm Mia's father down.

There had been a severe deterioration in Mrs Ferguson's condition.

She had been suffering from Multiple Sclerosis since the end of her twenties. She had managed to pull through all right. She met Mia's father, had Mia through some utter miracle and managed to pull together a perfect childhood for Mia. However once Mia had hit the age of five her condition worsened with an alarming rate.

She was often house bound, couldn’t get up out of her chair. She couldn't get dressed by herself and had trouble working with cutlery.

MS was killing her from the inside. Her mind was as perfect as it had been before the illness started up again. She was so limited with what she could do.

The sole reason why she had been so against Mia doing ballet.

Why should Mia be able to do something that she wasn't able to?

All the more frustrating when Mia ended up getting her way and left for London, meaning that Mrs Ferguson had to rely on her husband and a personal carer.

Mia's mother could never really forgive her own daughter for doing that to her. She had left guilt tripping messages on Mia's answer phone. It was better than admitting to her daughter that she was scared and that she missed her. She hated the idea that she might not be around for much longer and she would spend her last moments away from her daughter.

Now it had come to this.

Mia was going to have to give up her dream and Mrs Ferguson was going to loose her dignity bit by bit.