St. Elsewhere

Part 20

If there was one thing that Sean hated, other than having to continually bleach his growing dark roots, it was being left in ignorance.

He despised not knowing what was happening, especially if he knew there was a problem and nobody told him.

It was at times like these when the sneaky and sometimes down right low side of Sean shone threw. He had to know what was happening.

So instead of getting into the first taxi that pulled up at the cad rank, he sat down on the bench, pull the hood of his jacket up and waited.

About twenty minutes later Mia and her mother appeared through the noiseless sliding doors of the hospital walking towards the car.

Mia's mother was in a wheelchair.

Mia looked expressionless, talking to her mother in low monotones.

There was something tragic about this scene as Mia had to lift her own mother into the passenger seat of the car. Maybe it was the fact that Mia was showing no emotion what so ever, as if she had switched them off. Or maybe it was the guilty pang that suddenly exploded in Sean's chest.

He wasn't meant to be seeing this. She hadn't wanted him here.

Now he knew why.

Utterly ashamed of himself he slid into the taxi that had just pulled up beside him. In less than ten minutes he was back outside Mia's family house and in his own car that he had parked in front of the imposing house.

From there Sean drove to a cheap travel lodge in the dodge part of Oxford, not caring where he stayed as long as the bed was comfy and the bathroom partial clean.

Once he had checked in and made his way to his room, Sean sank down onto the squeaky bed with a sigh.

Now that he was here he had no idea what to do next. He wasn't used to being rejected. Much less in the indifferent manner that Mia had taken to using on him. Maybe that was what annoyed him most; the fact that Mia was, apparently, indifferent to him. Girls were never indifferent to Sean Smith.

Never.