St. Elsewhere

Part 22

Today the sun was shining. It was the first nice day of spring.

Mia and Sean were walking side by side down the partially busy high street of Oxford town centre.

Sean had insisted that Mia sort herself out properly and waited patiently whilst she showered and washed her hair. This gave him the chance to look around Mia's room. Edgar Degas' pictures of ballerinas in postcard form were tacked to the wall as well as a few pictures of old school friends. The newest addition was a picture of Lauren and Mia that was stuck on the mirror. A University of Oxford hoodie was thrown across the desk chair; a pair of pink satin ballet shoes were lying on the partially made bed.

At present Sean and Mia were not talking. In fact they had said very little to each other. Mia had a pair of red Ray Ban sunglasses on and this prevented Sean from seeing her eyes where most, if not all, of Mia's emotions came across.

However Sean managed to coax a laugh and a smile out of Mia when he insisted on buying her an ice cream. This accomplished they carried on walking through the shopping streets, this time in a more amiable silence than before; happily finishing their ice cream cones.

"I know you don't really want to talk about any of the stuff that is going on at the moment, but you can't keep it inside you all of the time." Sean suddenly came out with as they walked past Topshop.

Mia said nothing.

Sean didn't know what to say next without sounding desperate and clique.

But Mia finally took up her sparse courage.

"Mum's ill. Really ill."

The first step had been taken.

Sean realised this as much as Mia had. He gently took a hold of Mia's hand and led her to one of the numerous benches that were under Elm trees, which lined the high street. The sun was still shining; bathing them in warm yellow light.

Mia started straight ahead, not taking in any of the people that walked past with a smile on their face at the sight of the young couple – Sean still hadn't let go of Mia's hand.

"She's got multiple sclerosis. She used to dance as a teenager but then when she went to dance school the MS started properly. Her doctors said it would be bad for her to carry on dancing. So she did an English degree instead, giving up dancing. She used to be able to manage on her own, but then we had to get a carer. But now we can't afford a carer for her anymore and the MS is worse than before. She needs me Sean. She needs me."

The short silence that followed this confession seemed to stretch on for an eternity. The leaves on the tree seemed to flatter slower in the gentle spring wind, the birds seemed to sing slower and the world paused on its axis.

"She never really wanted me to do ballet because she never got the chance. If she could never make it then why should I, is what she thinks. And that makes it so much worse because I hate her for it, then I end up feeling awful and guilty because she is just so ill."

Mia pulled her sunglasses on top of her head with one smooth swoop and it was then that Sean saw the tears.

She tried to brush them away viciously with the sleeve of her green trench coat but the tears just kept on coming. They were the tears that Mia had refused to cry in three weeks.

Sean gently wiped the tears away with his thumbs and Mia rested her head on his shoulder, unable to stop the tears.

"Hey it's going to be ok." Sean said soothingly, even if he wasn't sure that was the case anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback is lovely <3