St. Elsewhere

Part 7

1, 2, 3 and chasse.

1, 2, 3 and chasse.

1, 2, 3 and sauté.


Routine.

Order.

Another two simple reasons why Mia adored ballet. Little was left over to spontaneity. Everything was planned, timed and perfected until it could not be altered anymore.

Structure and stability, something that Mia's life completely lacked and so another reason why she strived so hard to find it in ballet.

Mia exhaled deeply and finished off her cool down routine in the troisieme position, arms poised. She brushed her fringe out of her eyes and smiled at the thought of the gig that she would be going to in less than three hours.

She turned away from the mirror wall to return to her gym bag when she noticed a figure leaning in the darkened door frame of the practice room.

Mia started up shocked, not having heard anybody approach.

"Sorry I didn't mean to scare you," said the person in the middle of the doorway.

Mia had been expecting Matt to come by to pick Lauren up, just like every day. But it was already 5 and Matt was meant to have already been to pick Lauren up half an hour ago. It was unusual for him to be late. By this time Lauren had already given up and gone to find a pay phone to try and ring Matt, as none of the girls had their mobiles on them.

"You dance really well." Said the, still to Mia, unknown person from the door.

"Erm... thanks." Mia said awkwardly, running a hand through her matted hair as the unknown person finally stepped into the brightly lit practice room.

The person was a guy about a year or two older than her. His hair was strikingly bleached with a vicious streak of pink on the right side of his face. He had a collection of what looked like self-crafted bracelets up his right arm and was dressed from head to foot in black. From Mia's point of view he looked as though he belonged in a band.

"Can I help you?" Mia asked cautiously, nervously tiding her hair. Somehow she didn’t want to look bad in front of him.

"Yeah I was looking for Lauren. Matt was going to pick her up himself but he's busy so he asked me to pick her up instead."

"Oh right," Mia said picking up her hand towel. "She's just gone to find a pay phone to call Matt."

The blonde haired guy nodded and suddenly started up slightly.

"I'm Sean by the way, one of Matt's friends." He said extending his hand.

"Mia." She said taking it.

"So I've heard." Sean said with a smile.

Mia looked up at him puzzled.

"Lauren talks a lot about you when we're all together. You've made quite a lasting impression of her. I heard you're coming to the gig tonight?"

Mia nodded and hastily slipped into some soft grey tracksuit bottoms from Jack Wills and a white strap top, feeling slightly uncomfortable around him just in her leggings and leotard.

"Yeah I am, I'm looking forward to it." Mia said with a small smile.

The door suddenly burst open and Lauren charged in.

"Sean! Thank god. Matt didn't bloody well pick up the phone and I've got to get ready for tonight so come on!" She said exasperatedly barely giving Sean a second glance as she grabbed her gym bag.

"I'll pick you up tonight around 6 and then I'll walk to the barfly with you. It's not far." Lauren said with a smile to Mia who nodded in affirmation. Mia hugged Lauren fleetingly goodbye and brushed her fringe out of her eyes and glanced shyly at Sean.

"See you later then?" He asked hopefully.

Mia nodded again and smiled slightly.

And suddenly Mia's life changed with a violent jerk.