St. Elsewhere

Part 9

"I should probably get going." Mia said sighing. It was now already half past 11 and she had a full day of ballet tomorrow.

The evening hang out had only been broken up for half an hour shortly after Lauren and Mia's arrival in the tiny dressing room, as the band wanted to meet some the fans. So this left the girls together, much to their advantage as this meant they could talk girly things without being ridiculed by the guys for it.

Half an hour passed and the boys returned and the general chat and jokes continued.

Now it was half past eleven, and despite having such a great time Mia knew it was time to go.

"How are you getting home?" Snoz asked.

"I'll walk, it's not far from here." Mia said pulling her green hoodie on over her black t-shirt.

"On your own?" Sean asked slightly alarmed. "This is London and it's the middle of the night you crazy person, I'll walk you home." He said and got up from the chair that he had been occupying.

Mia was about to protest but her argument was lost as everybody else got up to say their goodbye's to her and giving her hugs.

"I'll see you in school tomorrow." Lauren said and gave Mia and strong hug.

"Thanks for coming here with me tonight, it means a lot to me." Mia said.

"I know." Lauren said and smiled.

Nat and Mia exchanged phone numbers so they could stay in touch as Nat had to go back to Cardiff University the next day for her maths lectures. With promises to stay in touch with her and even more promises to see another Blackout show, Mia left the Barfly walking alongside Sean.

It was odd walking alone with Sean. It was odd because they hadn't been left alone for the whole night, there were always other people there and what was even stranger, or so Mia thought, was that she had been hoping to have a few minutes alone with Sean.

"So did you like the gig tonight then?" Sean asked breaking the silence.

Mia nodded strongly in affirmation.

"It was really good. Different but good."

"How do you mean different?" Sean asked curiously.
"To be honest that kind of music isn't really my thing but you guys pulled it off really well."

"I'll take that as a compliment, seeing as it's coming from someone who would prefer to listen to Mozart over rock and roll." Sean said grinning.

Mia laughed and swatted Sean lightly on the arm.

This playful banter continued all the way to Mia's apartment block. Mia felt completely at safe and at ease with him. He was cocky but not too cocky. He cracked the right amount of jokes but it was still possible to have a decent conversation with him. Mia wished that the walk to her apartment had taken longer so she could spend more time with him.

Whilst Mia was trying to find her keys for the front door Sean was plotting in his head how best to find a way of seeing Mia again. He didn't want to wait till the next gig where everybody would be present anyway. He wanted it to be just her and him next time so he could get a chance to talk to her properly. Asking her out on a coffee or lunch tomorrow would seem too keen. Should he give her his number and wait for a call? But what if she never called? What if she wasn't even interested?

Sean groaned innerly but was snapped out his thoughts by the sound of the door clicking open and Mia pulling her keys out the lock and replacing them in her bag.

She turned towards Sean and smiled up at him.

"Thanks for walking me back, and for the amazing time tonight. I really enjoyed it."

Sean grinned.

"Anytime, you make good company." Sean said with a grin.

"I aim to please." Mia said with mock seriousness, and pulled the glass door open.

Now it was time for Sean to make his move, he threw all qualms out and cleared his throat, uncharacteristically nervous.

"I was wondering if you were free tomorrow and wanted to grab some lunch with me or something?"

Mia looked up at him slightly startled, not having expected Sean to ask what he did.

"You don't have to if you don't want to…" Sean Said quickly.

"Don’t be silly, I'd love to." Mia said with a smile, a strange burst of confidence seemed to sweep through her.

"Really?" Sean seemed relieved. "Well in that case I'll met you at your ballet school around twelve thirty, that ok?"

"Of course," Mia said with a small smile. "I'm looking forward to it, see you tomorrow Sean." And with one last smile Mia slipped into the door and took the stairs up to her flat.

Sean turned away from the door and began his walk back to the Barfly, a massive grin spreading across his face, already looking forward to tomorrow.

Back in the apartment Mia's answer machine was blinking.

In unusually high spirit Mia threw her bag and hoodie over a chair, got herself a glass of water and then pressed the small flashing red LED.

"Mia it's your mother…"