Calamity Jane

six

Image

Image

We arrive at the beach just before dark. We’re in Kill Devil Hills and we stop at a motel called the ‘Ebb Tide.’ It’s not in the best of shape, but it’s in decent condition. There’s a small restaurant in front of it and a pool. Sonia and Taylor climb out of the car and come over to my door, motioning for me to roll down the window.

“We’ll go check in,” Sonia whispers, glancing at her sleeping sister. “Hector, grab Yvette,” she adds, before turning.

He lets out a huge sigh. “This bitch isn’t really asleep,” he murmurs, unbuckling his belt angrily.

I glance at her and touch his shoulder. “It’s okay,” I say, “I can get her.”

He looks at me in disbelief. “You can’t pick that heavy bitch up. She’s bigger than you.”

I roll my eyes. “Oh, so you think I‘m big?”

“No. You don‘t understand what I was saying,” he sighs and opens the door. “I just don’t think you can pick her up.”

I unbuckle my belt and climb out of the car. I open the door where her head is, and she is, in fact, sound asleep. Odd, for a teen. I remember when I was that age and I never slept before eleven. I lean down and grab her beneath her arms and slowly pull her out. I use my leg and left arm to lift her up and stagger only for a moment. She’s definitely not big, but she’s a bit heavy. However, she’s not too heavy. Hector rushes around and tries to take her, but I stop him.

“It’s fine,” I whisper, “I have her.”

He lets out a chuckle. “You’re full of surprises, Jane.”

Sonia and Taylor come out moments later, with five keys. “We got five rooms --” Sonia pauses when she sees me carrying Yamilex and glances at Hector angrily. “You rude asshole!” she hisses, “Did you make her carry Yvette?

I sense him tensing up and Sonia looks like a cat about to pounce on her prey.

“No,” I say, “I just grabbed her. He’s getting the bags.” He gives me a small smile and goes to the back of my car and pops the trunk open.

Sonia steps over towards me and looks at Yamilex. She smiles and wipes a strand of hair out of her face. “She wanted to stay with me,” I whisper, “if that’s alright.”

Sonia nods and hands me a key. “Here’s your key for room 34B. We got five rooms in a row so we’re all together.” I look at Taylor and she winks at me.

“Hector’s staying with you, Jane,” she murmurs. “My sisters and I are all couples and want our privacy. You, Hector, and Yvette are all single.”

“Thanks for reminding me,” I say, shifting. I start walking towards where my room will be and glance back at Hector, who has all our luggage in tow. Yamilex stirs a little and I try to walk as quickly as possible. I see the gold lettering only a few steps away and sigh in relief. I make my way up the paved walkway. I struggle to balance the key in my hand and Yvette as I try to open the door. Breathless, Hector comes up behind me and places a hand lightly on my back. “Here, let me help you,” he says. He takes the key and in one quick, swift motion, opens the door.

He flips on the lights and opens the door further for me. I hurry to the closest bed possible and lay her down gently. She turns over and curls up in a ball, like a baby would and doesn’t move at all afterwards. I look at Hector who is adjusting the air conditioning and glance around the room. There’s a long dresser in the middle, with a television placed on top. A bathroom is to the left of the door and there’s a fridge on the far side of the room. A round table is by the bed I placed Yamilex on, with three chairs. My eyes widen when I realize that there are only two beds and I placed her on the single one. Hector sees me looking at the bed and scratches his head awkwardly.

I pretend not to notice and slowly remove Yamilex’s shoes and cover her up with a sheet. I take off her glasses and place them on the dresser beside her.

“Um,” Hector clears his throat and I stare at him. “I guess we’re sharing a bed.”

“What? No,” I say, blushing. “I’ll sleep on the floor.”

“Am I that disgusting?” he asks, looking genuinely offended.

“No, I just… it’s….awkward.”

“It’s only awkward if you make it that way,” he says. “If you move her, she’ll wake up. And I’m not sleeping beside her; she has crazy dreams and sleep walks and shit.”

I sigh in defeat and go towards the bed. I grab my suitcase and open it up. “Fine,” I say, “but I get the outside.”

“No,” he replies defiantly. “I’m the man. And… and… what if someone breaks in… and tries to kill you?”

I turn to hide my smile and pretend to dig for clothes. I grab a tank top and some shorts and my toothbrush and go to the bathroom.

I change as quick as I can and look at my reflection. I look down and brush my teeth. I run my fingers through my hair and walk out. Hector has already changed into a plain white t-shirt and shorts and he‘s laying on the outside. His feet hang slightly off the bed and his arms are folded under his head. For some reason, I laugh.

“What? Are you laughing at my outfit?” he asks, grinning. “I usually sleep naked. But seeing how we’re just getting to know one another, I figured I better put some clothes on.”

I don’t say anything as I walk to the other side of the bed. I pull the sheets down and climb in, shivering slightly.

“Are you cold?” he asks in disbelief. “How could you be? It’s a hell hole in here.”

“Yes,” I answer, “I get cold easily, okay.”

“It’s because you’re so skinny,” Hector whispers, turning over towards me. For some reason, I have the strong urge to turn and face him too, so I do.

“No I’m not,” I say, avoiding his stare.

“Yeah, you are.”

“Well you’re skinny,” I say, annoyed.

“But I eat,” he argues.

“I eat, too,” I say, looking him in the eye.

“Do you?” he asks, “Do you?”

“Don’t be ridiculous. You’ve seen me eat.”

“Tell me about that night,” he whispers, playing with a strand of my hair.

I know what he means and I stare at him for a moment, unsure of whether I can trust him or not. But he doesn’t look like he’s just being nosy. He looks concerned and I feel like telling him.

“When I was younger,” I say, “I had an eating disorder.”

He nods, as if he had already guessed as much.

“There are certain things I can’t eat, even now, because my body can’t take it.” I stop talking and close my eyes. I don’t want to talk anymore. I listen to the sound of the air conditioning and his breathing.

“Goodnight,” Hector whispers. I almost swear I can hear him say Calamity Jane as I drift off into sleep.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
gosh, you guys, I'm so sorry it's been so long. please forgive me, but school has been taking all my time. however, it's summertime now so you can expect plenty of updates. :3 comments please?