Status: A Brian Haner Jr Story. Active. Being Edited as I work on new chapters.

Scars

Prologue

They may as well have been conjoined twins. They were inseparable, and had been since they were toddlers. They had grown up living across the street from each other, born within just three months of each other. What was a firm friendship in elementary school quickly and naturally progressed into something more in high school.

No one ever doubted their love for each other; it was obvious to anyone that they were meant to be with each other, that they loved each other more than anything.

Luke had told everyone from a young teenager that he would marry Tonya as soon as they had graduated from high school and everyone believed him.

That was probably the reason why their parents never freaked out when they told them that Tonya was pregnant at the age of seventeen. Instead they supported the young couple and helped them so that they could finish high school and start a life together.

As he had always promised, a week after graduation the pair got married, choosing a small ceremony at City Hall and a reception in her parents’ back yard.

Wanting nothing more than to be able to provide for his new family, Luke enrolled into the US Army. They were moved to Fort Huachuca in Arizona, living on a base while Luke did his training. They were happy. Luke was doing something he loved and was providing for his family. Tonya was able to attend college to train to be a beautician and Jacob was growing up the image of his father. He was smart, kind, thoughtful and loving.

Then after four years of training manoeuvres, terrorists attacked America and troops were deployed to Afghanistan, Luke included. Nine painful months later he returned safely. But not too long after, the powers that be declared that Saddam was the real threat and Luke was deployed to Iraq.

Tonya will never forget the way she felt the day that his Superior officer rang the doorbell. She knew it was bad news as soon as she saw him stood there. The funeral was hard enough; having to listen to fellow soldiers tell her what a wonderful man he was, how he was always talking about her and Jacob. But the hardest part was having to tell their nine year old son that his dad was never coming back.

After the funeral Tonya and Jake moved back to their home town of Huntington Beach, finding it easier to be around her family and friends.

Not a day goes by where she doesn’t think about Luke. She misses him more than she could ever think possible, but deep down she knows she needs to move on and find someone else.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, but tell me what you guys think.