Status: A Brian Haner Jr Story. Active. Being Edited as I work on new chapters.

Scars

Chapter 27

“So let’s go over the plan one more time.” Stella said from where she was sat cross-legged on the tattoo table. The shop was closed but Stella had gathered all of Tonya’s friends there so that they could arrange a party for her birthday.

“Like today, Gena will keep her busy for most of the afternoon with her make-over.” Zack began.

“Leana is sorting out the cake and she and Lacey are sorting out the nibbles and stuff” Jimmy continued with a smile.

“And what time are they bringing it all over to her house?” Stella asked double checking that they were sure on the answer.

“Five.” Jimmy, Johnny and Lacey stated in unison.

“Me, Jake and you are in charge of cleaning the house in preparation.” Sophia continued. “And decorating of course.”

“Perfect.” Stella said before turning towards Matt. “And what will you and Brian be doing?”

“Bri and I will be setting up the back yard, making sure the grill is ready for the barbeque while Zack sorts out the music.” Matt reeled off.

“And finally Jimmy and I are in charge off getting the food and drinks.” Johnny concluded.

“And we’ve all got to be back at the house, ready for the party by five at the latest, ready for Tonya’s arrival at around five thirty.” Brian said.

“Awesome cool.” Stella said with a clap of her hands and a beaming smile. “Oh and Zack, Gena’s going to call you when they’re on their way yes?”

“Affirmative captain.” He nodded.

“Excellent. And Brian, you’ll text me once Gena’s picked her up around one right?” she asked, Brian nodding in agreement. “Right well I think that’s about it then. Can’t wait for tomorrow now.”

“She is going to like this isn’t she?” Brian asked cautiously for the millionth time since the idea had been put forward by Stella.

“No, she’s gonna hate it. At first anyway. She’s gonna hate us all.” Jake said with a smile.

“Well, yeah, that is kinda true, but she’ll soon get over it. And as a last resort we just ply her with enough alcohol so that she forgets that it’s a surprise party.” Stella told them.

~”~

Watching Gena run the straightening irons through her hair through the mirror in front of her, Tonya couldn’t help but smile. She’d been sat in the chair at the salon for most of the afternoon, all part of her birthday treat. Having first had a massage, she was then treated to a facial and manicure. Finally Gena had done her hair and make up. She had to admit it to herself, she scrubbed up pretty well and she couldn’t wait to get home to show Brian how good she looked as well as how good she felt.

“You like?” Gena asked once she had finished making sure that every strand of hair was perfect.

“I love.” She replied with a smile, turning her head to each side to check each angle. “Thanks Hun, seems I scrub up pretty good.”

“You are very welcome birthday girl.” Gena replied turning of the straightening irons and clearing away her work station.

“Shame it’s probably going to go to waste.” She replied quietly.

“Why do you say that?” Gena asked, knowing full well that nobody had suggested doing something for her birthday on purpose.

“Well nothing’s been planned for this evening.” she explained. “Not with me anyway.”

“I’m sure Brian and Jake have something planned, they wouldn’t let your birthday go un-noticed.” Gena told her with a smile. “And if you do get home and they still don’t show any signs of doing anything to celebrate, then give me a call and we’ll go out for a meal, or some drinks or something. Like you said, it’d be a shame for all my hard work to go to waste.”

“Yeah that sounds like fun.” Tonya said with a smile.

“Okay then, that’ll be our plan, I’ll drive you home, you give them an hour to see what they have planned, if it’s not up to scratch then give me a call and we’ll hit main street.” she said grabbing her jacket and purse.

“>”

“Okay guys, Gena just text, they’re on their way. We’ve got about 20 minutes.” Zack said slipping his cell back into his pocket.

“Right, that should be just enough time to do my checks. Is everyone here?” Stella asked looking around the back yard that had been decorated to her specific requirements. Red and black balloons had been inflated and tied to almost anything that they could be tied to; there were ‘Happy Birthday’ banners above the patio doors and hanging from the tables that held the food and drink.

In the centre of the food table stood the cake that Leana had made. There were two tiers of cupcakes, some that were decorated with white icing with red fondant hearts while the others were topped with red icing and black fondant stars. On the top tier was a giant cupcake, that had been decorated with white icing and had the stars and hearts placed delicately on top.

“Where’s Jimmy?” Stella demanded.

“Right here, chill!” Came a squeaky voice from behind her. She turned to find Jimmy stood behind her with a half filled balloon in his hand.

“James!” her intention had been to scold, but a smile and a small laugh escaped her.

“Do you want a turn?” he asked with a smug grin, holding out the balloon to her.

“We don’t have time to play, I’ve got to make sure everything’s ready.” She replied turning away from him.

Keeping an eye on the time, Stella went around everyone making sure that everything was done and ready for Tonya’s arrival.

“They’re here!” Sophie called quietly as she came jogging quickly down the stairs from where she had been placed in Tonya’s bedroom to look out for them.

“Okay, everyone out back in their places.” Stella ordered.

Quietly everyone took their places around the table watching with anticipation as they heard the front door open and shut.

“Jake you here?” they heard her call from inside the house.

“Out here mom.” He called back with a smile, watching with the others as his mom made her way into the kitchen, stopping abruptly as she caught sight of what was happening in her back yard.

“No!” she muttered with a shake of her head.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” they all yelled joyfully as she took one more step closer to them.

“I hate you guys!” she stated still shaking her head.

“Told you she hated surprises.” Jake announced. “Come on mom, we’ve all gone to a lot of trouble.”

“Yeah, do you know how hard it was to spend the last couple of hours with you and not let slip about what was going on here. Especially when you thought it was going to be a waste of time.” Gena said from where she had snuck up behind her.

“Jake’s right, I do hate surprises, but you guys are awesome.” She said finally stepping out into the back yard with a smile on her face. “It’s only really Stella I should be made at anyway right?”

“Why just me?” Stella said with a pout.

“Because I know you. This is all you. You’ve probably been like a little Hitler organising this.” she said looking around the group and seeing them all nod in agreement. “But I still love you.”

“Can I get a beer now that the surprise bit is over?” Matt asked from where he was stood eagerly beside the table that had all the drinks on it. “I’m parched.”

“Carry on sweetie, and pass me one too.” Tonya called over to him just as a pair of tattooed arms snaked their way around her waist.

“Happy birthday beautiful.” Brian whispered in her ear before placing a soft kiss on her cheek.

“So I take it this is the reason you and my son have not suggested doing anything for my birthday?” she asked as Matt handed her and Brian a beer.

“Under strict instructions for about two weeks.” he replied as he moved so that he was stood at her side, his fingers lacing though hers. “You’re not too mad at us are you? Jake warned us over and over that you hate surprises.”

“No, I’m not mad at you, just warn me next time.” She told him.

“Promise.” Brian said lifting her hand to his lips.

“But then it wouldn’t be a surprise.” Matt stated.

“No, but I can fake being surprised pretty well.” She replied with a wink.

“Good at faking it hey, guess you’d have to be sleeping with Haner!” Johnny said quickly moving out of Brian’s reach as they others laughed.

>”>

“Leana, these cakes are stunning.” Sophia announced running her tongue over her lips to catch any stray crumbs.

“Thanks sweetie.” she replied.

“Mmm, yeah I could eat the whole tier, the sponge is so light and fluffy.” Stella agreed also enjoying one of the smaller cupcakes.

“I really don’t want to cut into the big one, it looked too pretty.” Tonya added as she stood at the table trying to decide whether she wanted one with red or white icing.

“If it helps it’s a red velvet sponge.” Leana told her, watching as her eyes widened with delight.

“It’s still to pretty to cut, until all these cupcakes have gone anyway.” She said picking up one of each when she still couldn’t decide.

“Have you ever thought about going into business with them?” Sophia asked as she picked at the remaining crumbs that were on the case.

“Oh no, I’m not good enough for that!” Leana said with a blush.

“Are you kidding me, these are gorgeous!” Stella stated.

“Exactly, you could totally start a small cupcake business. You could do them for birthday’s, graduations, sweet 16s, weddings…” Sophia began.

“Stella, there’s some guy asking for you at the front door.” Lacey interrupted as she took a seat next to Tonya.

“A guy? For me?” Stella asked confused.

“Yeah, tall handsome, piercing on his eyebrow, some Chinese symbol tattoo on his arm.” She described, watching the colour drain from Stella’s cheeks.

“Cole.” She whispered.

“Who?” Leana asked looking confused.

“The ex.” Gena whispered quietly.

“I’m going to fucking kill him.” Tonya yelled, standing quickly and marching off towards the house before anyone could stop her.

“T, wait, no!” Stella called after her. “Shit.”

Hearing the yelling, Brian turned from the rest of the guys in time to see Tonya walk with conviction into the house, followed by Stella. “What’s going on?”

“Cole’s here!” Sophia told him as she tried to grab hold of Jake’s arm to stop him following.

“Cole?” Brian repeated. “As in..?”

“That piece of scum that hurt Stella.” Jake growled.

“Jake, calm down, this is not your battle.” Brian told him, gently grabbing him by the shoulders as he walked into the kitchen where he could hear his mom yelling.

“It is if my mom is involved too.” He said.

“No, if anything it’s mine.” Matt said as he passed the three of them and made his way to the front door where Stella was stood beside Tonya who was yelling at Cole as he tried to talk to Stella.

“Stella, please I just want to talk to you.” he said.

“I think you said enough in that letter you sent me.” she replied, her arms folded solidly across her chest.

“So you got it then. I meant every word.” He replied.

“Yeah I got it. Too little too late Cole.” She replied jumping slightly as Matt took a gentle hold of her hand. “I’m happy with my life Cole, happier than what I’ve ever been.”

“What with him? Happier than what you were with me?” he replied taking a step closer.

“A lot happier.” Matt said with a smile.

“I’m sure she can speak for herself.” Cole sneered.

“He’s right though, I am a lot happier. And I love Matt more than I ever loved you.” she said with a beaming smile.

“You love him?” Cole asked. “But does he love you as much as I do?”

“More.” Matt said his dimples of full show as he looked down at Stella.

“No, no, you can’t, I love you Stella, walking out of your life was the biggest mistake of my life, I want us to try again. We were happy once, we can be again. Please Stella.” He pleaded.

“No Cole, it’s too late. It may have been the biggest mistake of our life, but it was the best thing that happened to me. You walking out on me gave me the chance I needed to find true love and I found that with Matt. I’m sorry but I think it’s best you leave now and never come back.” She said taking hold of the door and closing it in his face.

“The nerve of some people.” Tonya growled.

“Well, that wasn’t exactly the way I imagined me telling you that I love you.” Stella said with a smile, looking happily up into Matt’s hazel eyes.

“No, it wasn’t how I planned it neither.” He replied still smiling his dimpled grin.

“I love you.” she said.

“I love you too.” he countered, lowering his lips to hers in a soft yet passionate kiss.

“Lets leave them too it.” Tonya said taking hold of Brian’s hand and leading him back out to the back yard.
♠ ♠ ♠
I still haven't started on the Epilogue. I know what I want to happen, it's just getting it started.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this chapter and hopefully I won't keep you waiting too long for the next chapter.

Thanks <3