Who Knows What's Real...

Two

Two weeks passed and Michelle was still on the loose. The police had been to Brian’s house several times, as well as to Val and Matt’s. Michelle had simply disappeared from the hospital, and had left no clues as to where she may have gone.

Brian knew she was in Huntington. He hadn’t forgotten the girl in the backyard the morning the griddle caught fire. He was positive it was her. He just couldn’t prove it.

Tonight was Saturday, October 30. Brian’s friend Zacky was having his annual Halloween party and all of their friends would be in attendance.

Brian laid on the bed watching as Dee ran around getting ready for the party, wondering why the fuck he’d agreed to even go.

“You need to get ready or we’ll be late!” Dee exclaimed as she put on her dress.

“All I need to do is put on that fucking ridiculous wig and that hat.” he smiled, half-heartedly.

“Then get to it! I’ve just got to finish my hair and I’m ready!”

“Yes ma’am!” he chuckled, then saluted.

“Have you seen my shoes?” Dee asked as she came from the bathroom to see Brian holding them in his hand. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.” he smiled as she slipped them on. “You ready Alice?”

“Ready Hatter.” she smiled, linking her arm with his as they went out to the car.

The party was going strong when Brian and Dee arrived. They walked in to find Jimmy and Johnny chasing each other around with paintball guns while wearing Storm Trooper costumes. Matt and Val had followed suite with Dee and Brian, dressing as the Queen and King of Hearts. Zacky of course, had decided to dress as Lil Wayne, which caused Dee to make gagging noises as soon as she saw him flash his gold tooth at her when he approached them.

“It’s about fucking time you two got here. You missed Leana punching Dan in the face when he tried to look up her dress.” Zacky laughed.

“Maybe we can have a replay? Or better yet, I wanna punch him.” Dee laughed.

“Doubt it will happen. He left after Matt jumped his shit.” Zacky laughed again, looking at Brian. “Nice wig there buddy.”

“Shut it! I feel like a giant brillo pad.”

“Oh hush Brian, you know you pull off that look better than Mr. Depp any day!” Dee giggled, slapping Brian’s arm.

As the night went on everyone drank and socialized, some leaving as others arrived. Brian was talking to Jimmy and Matt when something, someone, caught his attention. He watched as she seemed to be distancing herself from the other party goers. She was dressed in a long gown that was torn in all the right places, had on a veiled hat, and was carrying a sling blade. She reminded him of a female grim reaper.

“Either of you know who that chick is?” Brian asked Jimmy and Matt as he pointed in her direction, only to see she was gone.

“Seeing things there Haner?” Matt chuckled.

“She was there.” he pointed again, shaking his head.

“Dude, you might thing about cutting yourself off.” Jimmy laughed, dropping an arm across Brian’s shoulders.

“Guys, it wasn’t some figment of my imagination. here was a girl over there.” Brian stated in frustration. “I’m not drunk! I’ve only had 3 beers.”

“Sure buddy.” Matt laughed, patting him on the back.

Brian groaned and walked away knowing he’d seen this person. She’d been there all night. Every time he saw her, she appeared to be watching him. All the sudden it hit him. Michelle. He looked around the yard for Dee and didn’t see her. He went over to the other guy’s girlfriends and asked if they’d seen her. Val told him she’d seen her go inside. He ran inside calling for Dee, looking in all the rooms. She wasn’t there. He went back outside and scanned through the crowd. Nothing. He took out his phone and called hers. It rang a couple of times, then it was answered.

“Baby! Thank god. Where are you?” Brian asked as relief washed over him.

“Oh how sweet of you to call me baby. It’s been a long time since you did that.” Michelle’s voice flowed from the other end of the line.

“Michelle! What the fuck have you done?!” Brian yelled.

“Calm down there lover. You don’t want your precious little Alice to have an accident now do you?” she mused.

Brian felt the blood drain from his face as the anger built up inside him. His free hand clenched into a fist and his nostrils flared as he punched the glass table that he was standing by, breaking it.

“Michelle, so fucking help me god if you hurt her...”

“Shh now. I don’t want her. I want you. After all, we are supposed to be married. That thing that happened between us was just a horrible misunderstanding.” she purred.

By this time, Brian’s friends were making their way over to him after hearing him yell, then seeing him hit the table. Matt looked at him in confusion. Brian just shook his head and went back to the call.

“What do I have to do?” he asked.

“It’s simple really. Meet me at our special place in two hours with your bags packed." she answered.

“I want to talk to her.” he said as Leana wrapped his bleeding hand in a towel, as the others just stared in wonder.

“If you must.” Michelle sighed.

“Bri, she’s nuts!” Dee snapped, not even saying hello.

“Baby, are you ok? Did she fucking hurt you?”

“No, but she’s not alone.” she whispered.

“Do you know who’s with her? Do you know where you are?”

“I don’t know where I am, but...”

“Happy now?” Michelle asked after taking the phone away from Dee.

“Michelle, just let her go. She has nothing to do with this.” Brian pleaded.

“Maybe not, but she’s the guarantee I need that you’ll show. Two hours Brian.” Michelle said and hung up.

“What’s going on?” Val exclaimed.

“Michelle has Dee.” Brian said, barely audible as tears threatened to spill from his eyes.

“What?! NO!” Val screeched.

“We gotta call the cops!” Zacky exclaimed.

“She’s fucking psycho!” Jimmy snapped.

Brian looked at his friends, not knowing what he should do. Something seemed off to him but he wasn’t sure what, then it hit him.

“Guys, where’s Johnny?” he asked.

Everyone looked at each other and shrugged.

“He’s probably passed out somewhere.” Matt said.

“No. He wasn’t his usual drunken self tonight.” Brian stated, pulling out his phone. “Somebody call the cops. I need to go home and pack.”

“Pack? For what?” Matt and Jimmy asked in unison.

“I’ll explain later.” he said, disappearing around the corner of the house.

When Brian got to his car, he dialed Johnny’s cell and no answer. He couldn’t help but think that Johnny was somehow involved in this. He had always had a little thing for Michelle. Could it be possible that one of his best friends was involved in this? He pushed the thought from his mind as he started down the street. When he got home, he packed two bags, not sure exactly what he was really going to do. He did know that he had no intention of going anywhere with Michelle if he could help it. All he wanted was for Dee to be safe. For now, he had to go along with what Michelle wanted.

As he was washing the Halloween makeup off his face, his phone rang. He looked at the screen to see that it was Dee’s number.

“What?” he barked.

“Oh sweetie, don’t be so cross. I wanted to remind you that you have an hour left.” Michelle said smoothly.

“I’m well aware of that Michelle. Let me talk to Dee.”

“Sorry hun, no can do. She’s not available."

“What the fuck do you mean, she’s not available?!” Brian spat.

“You didn’t think I’d bring her along did you? Silly boy, I’m not stupid.”

“Fine Michelle. I’ll be there in an hour and she better be ok.” he said, hanging up.

He tossed his bags in his Escalade and headed out. He called Matt and explained Michelle’s demands. Matt told him they’d found Johnny tied up in the hall closet at Zacky’s. He said that Johnny told them that he saw Dee arguing with Dan before someone hit him from behind.

“Dan! That motherfucker! He’s helping her!” Brian exclaimed as he hung up and did a u-turn and headed towards Dan’s apartment.

Brian parked around the corner from Dan’s building and headed to the entrance, noticing Dan’s car parked on the street. He climbed the stairs to the second floor and found himself in front of his door. He listened as he could hear the sound of a male and female argue from the other side of the door. He wasn’t sure, but the female sounded like Dee. He realized then that he had no plan. What was he going to do? What should he do? Would Dan kill Dee if need be? He paced in the hallway for a few minutes and then decided to do something that may well end badly. He knocked on the door.

“Who is it?” Dan yelled from the other side of the door.

“It’s Brian dude. I need your help man!” Brian answered.

“Uh, hang on a minute.”

Brian listened as he heard what sounded like a scuffle then the door opened.

“Come in brother. What’s up?” Dan asked, winded.

“Dee’s missing. Michelle has her and I need you to help me find her.” Brian answered, scanning the apartment for signs of who the female he heard is.

“Missing? You think Michelle has her?”

“No, I know she does. She called me from Dee’s phone and told me I have two hours to get to meet her if I want Dee to be safe.” he said, looking at his watch. “I’ve got a half hour before I have to be there.”

“What can I do to help?” Dan asked almost too eagerly.

Brian looked at Dan and didn’t give his next move a second thought. He drew back and punched him square in the face, knocking Dan to the floor.

“Dee! Are you here?!” He yelled before he was hit from behind, falling to the floor.