Bitter Pill

Chapter 3

I’m falling. Flailing, panicking.

Silently screaming yet no one can hear me. There’s nothing but black fuzz around me and I don’t understand a thing.

I hear. I hear my own thoughts.

What are you doing? What are you thinking? Are these even really my thoughts? I couldn’t possibly be speaking.

Taryn! Someone shrieks yells that all around me but I can’t find them.

Suddenly it all becomes clear, literally.

The fear of falling stops immediately when the feeling that I may have been falling sharply ends. A slight pain begins to form in my stomach as well.

I see in front of me. Myself.

Talking. To someone but I don’t know whom yet. Saying words but I can't quite focus on what they are.

Behind me it appears to be the middle of the day, about 1 or 2 pm, the sky clear and that boring blue it is in the middle of the day. It looks like I’m in the desert but I’m not sure.

"I’m not sure how we’re supposed to get there." I watch myself finally say.

The focus switches to Nash who runs a hand through his hair quickly and looks serious at me. "We don’t have much time."

The scene falters and withers away.

All that can come into focus is sound, no vision.

"Go look for them!"
That was Gio’s voice.

"Oh God!" I hear Mom whining.

"Nash…" I moan, breathing heavily.

"I’m always gonna be here…I’m not goin anywhere!" Nash says in his familiar rusty tone.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

“Shit!” I whisper loudly, waking up in a cold sweat. Almost instinctively, a headache comes on. I bang a fist against my forehead and rub it softly.

“Ohh…” I grumble, “I’ve gotta stop drinkin’.”
Quickly sighing to myself, I become aware that I slept in the same clothes that I walked around in yesterday.

Instantly, I feel dirty and annoyed with my whole being.

It’s as if all of a sudden my sweater doesn’t feel comfortable anymore. All sudden I’m disgusted with my skirt and the socks that I still have on.

Panicking now with tiny squeals escaping from my lips, I quickly strip down to my bra and underwear. I can’t take it anymore. All the clothes wrapped around my body. It’s a wonder I haven’t even thought of my dream until just now.

Pressing two of my fingers to my lips, the touch becomes so magnified to me that I’m amazed.

“Nash was there.” I say to myself, quickly, “ …but why?”