You're Giving Me Such A Rush

Are we both crazy?

Tuesday was awkward. I didn’t know how to act around him.
I mean where does he get off just walking into the kitchen and placing his lips on mine?

Sure, it wasn’t technically the first time we’ve kissed, but it was the first time that seemed to mean something. Something to him anyway.

He’s my best friend. I love him, and I always will, but I’m just not IN love with him.
Almost unwillingly, my mind goes back to the previous evening in Rian’s kitchen.

I made my way into the kitchen smiling at the familiar surroundings and started humming some tune I had heard on the radio the previous day before opening the fridge and looking for bottled drinks. I was in such a daze that I hadn’t heard anyone follow me upstairs until I felt a hand on my back causing me to jump ten foot in the air.

I whipped around placing my hand against my racing heart and opened my mouth to speak but got cut off by the person placing their lips against mine. Softly but vigorously.

My eyes stayed wide open, shocked beyond belief. Straining my eyes to look at his face, I can clearly see his own eyes are shut and his face looks so serene and happy. It’s so weird.

Finally coming to my senses, I raise both of my hands and place them firmly on his shoulders and push, until he reluctantly drags his lips from mine.

Shaking my head widely, I step as far away as I possibly can before bumping into the fridge, startling myself.

“What, oh my god, what the hell was that?” I could easily hear the labouring in my voice, the deep intakes of breath needed to attempt to steady my heart rate.


Sighing, I shook my head, wanting to rid of those thoughts, at least for a few minutes.

I could hear my mother moving around in the kitchen, most likely attempting to make some sort of edible dinner, when we both know that it’ll either end up with take out or some ready meal she’s stocked up on.

Walking into the kitchen, I sat down at the breakfast bar and watched as she flapped around before opening my mouth to speak

“Hey mum, how was your day?” I didn’t have to wait long for either the one word answer or some snide remark when she replied

“Micah. I don’t have time for mindless chit chat, we have people coming over for dinner, or at least I do. Just leave”

And that my friends, is my wonderful mother.

“Right. Just like you never have time for me hey mum?” violently pushing the stool back I stormed out of the kitchen and into the hallway where I paused once to look back, noticing that as always the person I called ‘mummy’ for so many years wasn’t even watching me leave.

Huffing, I pulled open the door with a force I didn’t know I contained and slammed it behind me.

Normally this would be the time where I would let myself into Alex’s house next door and slump up to his room and vent, but now it just seemed awkward. But knowing that I didn’t really have anyone else to talk to that would understand I know I had to go to him.

Plus, we really need to sort yesterday out. I don’t like the fact that it’s suddenly become awkward. I wasn’t used to not being able to look at him without all of these alarm bells ringing in my head. I know we have to talk about it.

Breathing deep, I hesitantly rapped my knuckles against the door; the feeling was extremely foreign for me.

The waiting was making me nervous; the knots in my stomach becoming more apparent.

After what seemed like forever, I turned around ready to make my way back to my house with my head hanging low, when the door opened and I was greeted by a very surprised best friend.

“Micah! Hey. I really wasn’t expecting to see you, I thought after yesterday...”

“Stop. That’s why I’m here. We need to talk Alex”