Status: Slowly coming back to life.

It Is Just A Child's Game

Chapter Twelve

“Well, we’ve got to go.” Jared said as he stood up. He dabbed the corners of his mouth with a napkin and tossed it on the table. The rest of the table stared at him, obviously confused as to who he was referring to. “A Rocket to the Moon. I was talking to you, guys. I need to take you the radio station for your interview.”

The members of A Rocket to the Moon slowly stood up. They bid their goodbyes, all of them except Eric getting a hug from Cahlen. Not long after, the remaining members of the Maine and Cahlen paid for the bill and went out of the restaurant.

The group split into two, Garrett, Kennedy, and Cahlen, then Pat and John.

“Aren’t you happy that I brought you to lunch?” Garrett asked Cahlen with a smug tone as they entered his car.

“Yes, I am.” Cahlen replied with a small smile on her face,

Kennedy and Garrett shared a victorious high-five before Garrett put the key in the ignition to start the car. When he turned the key though, the engine didn’t start. He tried a few more times but the result was still the same.

All three of them got out of the car. Garrett popped open the hood and the two boys checked the engine that was steaming.

“I cant believe you don’t have any of the emergency stuff in your car!” Kennedy exclaimed after checking the trunk of the car, only to find it bare.

Garrett made a face in response, pulled out his phone, and dialed a number. He had a short conversation with the person on the other end while Kennedy and Cahlen just stared at him.

“Who’d you call?” Cahlen asked as she sat on the roof of the sedan.

“John,” Garrett answered.

With a nod of her head, Cahlen tuned out. She lay across the roof of the car and stared up at the sky. She dragged her finger over the sky and painted images with help from the white fluffy clouds. Animals, objects, and faces crossed over her as the wind blew and reformed the clouds. She was happily contented with the moment when a vibration from the pocket of her shorts disturbed her.

She grudgingly pulled out her phone and answered it without looking at the caller ID.

“Hello?” she said into the phone with a slightly annoyed tone.

“Where are you, Cahlen?” Her mom said on the other side.

“I am in a restaurant somewhere. I am not really sure exactly where though. Why?” She asked as she changed her position.

“Are you on your way back? I have something to attend to in awhile and no one is here to watch Frankie.” Her mom answered.

“Really? Okay. I’ll be home soon.” She replied before hanging up and jumping off the roof. She landed on her feet and stumbled. Someone reached out and stopped her from falling flat on her face.

“Thank you,” she replied as she checked her body for any war wounds. She looked up with a smile but as soon as her blue eyes reached his green ones, her smile immediately faded.

“No problem,” John mumbled as he pulled his hands away.

They sent each other awkward nods before turning away. Cahlen scanned the area for either Kennedy or Garret and she eventually found Kennedy.

“Kenny! I need to get home now. Is the car fixed already?” she asked.

“Uh, I am sorry. It isn’t.” He replied with a guilty expression on his face. “Why do you have to go home so soon?”

“My mom has to go somewhere so no one is left to take care of Frankie.” Cahlen answered as she ran a hand through her hair.

“Oh, shit.” Kennedy cussed as he thought for a solution. “John can take you home.”

“What?” John exclaimed before Cahlen could say anything.

With a roll of his eyes, Kennedy walked up to John and pulled him aside to have a short and quiet discussion. Cahlen was left out with nothing to do but fidget with her phone. After awhile, their conversation ended and Kennedy came up to Cahlen.

“He agreed to take you home.” Kennedy told her gesturing to the direction John was walking.

Cahlen gave him a quick goodbye and thank you before running after John and trying to keep up with his long strides. They soon arrived at John’s car and both of them entered it without a word. The drive was awkward and silent. The tension in the car was so thick that your knife would break if you try to cut it.

Cahlen couldn’t even escape into another adventure-filled daydream because she felt like she was about to choke. Instead, she stared out the window and actually saw the scenery. She noticed how so many things have changed over the years and how some of them have stayed exactly the same. Memories flowed freely as John drove. Despite the tension and the overwhelming silence, Cahlen was able to enjoy the ride.

“We’re here.” John mumbled, bringing Cahlen back to the present.

Cahlen looked around and true enough, they were parked outside her house. She gave John a quick thank you, unbuckled her seatbelt, and got out of the car.

John waited as she got out of the car and closed the door but before he could drive away, someone called out to him.

“John!” Mrs. Anderson called out. “Would you mind helping me bring in these groceries?”

John’s grip around the steering wheel tightened and a shallow breath escaped his lips. He ran a hand through his hair, shut his eyes closed, and let out another shallow breath.

“I’ll be right out Mrs. Anderson!” John called out before he took the key out of the ignition.

He made his way towards Mrs. Anderson and helped get a few bags. He tried to bring as many as possible so that he wouldn’t have to make so many trips back and forth.

“Thank you for helping me, John.” Mrs. Anderson said when John brought in the last bag. “Frankie and I just came back from the grocery. That little boy wants everything!”

John let out a little chuckle and a nod of his head.

“Have you met Frankie?” She asked him.

As if in cue, a tiny toddler entered the kitchen with a short toilet paper tail. His light brown hair was wet at the tips and so were his hands. His light green eyes were sparkling with innocence and his skin was a tad red compared to the snow white shade John saw it last.

“Hi John!” he said excitedly as the toddler took sight of the giant.

“Hi little guy!” John said just as excited as Frankie said despite the fact that he didn’t want to be excited.

“Oh, perfect!” Mrs. Anderson said overyjoyed. “You already met. I’ll go ahead and get ready now. Do you mind, John?”

“Oh, no. Not at all.” John said slightly distracted by the toddler who was chasing his own toilet paper tail.

“Thank you, John.” Mrs. Anderson said before running out of the kitchen.

“Hold up, little guy.” John said as he rested his hand on Frankie’s head to stop him from spinning. John pulled out the toilet paper and threw it in the trash can.

“Thank you” the little boy said happily before climbing onto a seat and settling in.

“What do you want to do, Frankie?” John asked.

“I am hungry.” He replied, crossing his arms over his chest. “I like sandwiches. Do you know how to make sandwiches?”

“I do, actually.” John said proudly. “I know how to make a pretty mean bacon, cheese, and tomato sandwich.”

“Oooh, it sounds yummy.” Frankie said happily. “Would you mind making me one?”

“No, of course not.” John said, thinking of what he would have to do. “I’ll just ask if it is okay with…”

“Go ahead. Make one for yourself if you want.” A voice interrupted him.

Once his eyes met with bright blue ones, he immediately looked away. He mumbled inaudible words that must have been ‘thank you’ or ‘okay’. Tension slowly began to fill the kitchen. Silence was kept between the two adults while the toddler kept looking back and forth.

“Oh, wonderful.” Mrs. Anderson said. She entered the kitchen, completely oblivious to the tension, and stood beside Cahlen.

John turned around at the sound of her voice. He saw the mother-daughter duo standing beside each other. People always said that Cahlen looked nothing like her dad but as she stood beside her mother, it didn’t seem like they had much in common either.

Cahlen’s hair was a dark rich red color that fell in soft curls whereas her mother had nearly pin straight light blonde hair. Mrs. Anderson’s chocolate brown eyes were a dark contrast as compared to Cahlen’s bright blue ones. Cahlen’s snow white skin, although slightly darkened because of the sun, was nothing compared to Mrs. Anderson’s perfectly tanned skin. The only thing they seemed to have in common was their slim figures and impeccable cheekbones. The realization brought back quite a distinct memory.

“Your bacons are beginning to burn, my dear.” Mrs. Anderson said, bringing John out of his own little world.

“Oh, yeah. I almost forgot.” John said distractedly. “And you look beautiful, Mrs. Anderson.”

“Why, thank you, John.” Mrs. Anderson replied. “Your mom should be proud of the gentleman she raised.”

A smile was given as a thank you and John turned back to cooking the bacon.

“Anyway, I need to go now.” Mrs. Anderson said, sending kisses to them. “You three have fun.”

A chorus of goobyes echoed the kitchen as the eldest left the house. Another silence entered the room but fortunately, it wasn’t there to stay.

“John, what do you do?” Frankie asked. “Do you study in a big school like Kaykay?”

“No, I don’t” John said with a little smile. “I play in a band.”

“Oh,” Frankie said while nodding his head. “Do you play guitar like Kenken?”

“Who’s—“ John began but was abruptly cut off.

“Kennedy” Cahlen said, answering his question before finishing it. “Frankie likes to make his own nicknames.”

John nodded his head in response and the silence stayed until John finished his sandwiches. He put three sandwiches on three separate plates and served them.

“Bon appétit!” John exclaimed.

Frankie and Cahlen thanked John and then all three of the dug in.

“I should get going now…” John said as he finished his sandwich.

“Okay,” Cahlen said as she stood up. “Thank you for the ride and—“

“I don’t want you to go.” Frankie exclaimed, cutting Cahlen off.

Both adults remained silent. They looked at each other for barely a second. Awkward tension filled the air as neither of them didn’t know what to say.

“Frankie, John has to go.” Cahlen said as she wiped his mouth with a napkin. “He has more important plans.”

“What do you have to do?” Frankie asked, turning his eyes towards John.

“Uhm…” John mumbled as he thought of something to do. “I need to go for a swim! Yeah, that’s what I have to do.”

“You can do that here!” Frankie exclaimed. “We have a pool.”

“John, doesn’t having a swimming costume here.” Cahlen said, mentally hitting John for not thinking of a better excuse.

“Don’t you have some for him?” Frankie asked, his voice sounding desperate. “Do you remember when we cleaned the room and found the box full of clothes? There were some boy clothes and I think some of them will fit him.”

John and Cahlen looked at each other. Both of them were debating on what should happen next. Would they let their feelings towards each other get the better of them or give in to the little boy who was trying so hard? Cahlen shrugged as if to say ‘It’s up to you’. John bit his lip and thought about it.

“Okay, I guess.” John said. “But only if the clothes fit.”

Frankie let out an excited scream and wrapped his arms around John’s neck.

“Oh, I am sure they’ll fit.” Cahlen mumbled. Frankie didn’t hear it but John did. He chose to ignore it though.

“Okay, Frankie, just watch TV first while John and I get him clothes.” Cahlen said and the boy willingly obeyed.

Cahlen motioned to John to follow her. They made their way to her room in silence. Both of their minds were going back to four years ago. They entered her bedroom and Cahlen set off to look for the box. John stood there, staring at the room he used to memorize. Not much has changed except for the fact that there were boxes scattered everywhere and her walls were bare. His heart began to race as memories flashed before his eyes.

Cahlen’s mind was unfocused. Being in her room with John brought so many memories and emotions. She tried to find the box as soon as possible so that they could both go back down to the biggest distraction.

“Here, John!” She exclaimed. She anxiously pulled the first pair of trunks she found and threw at him.

John caught it easily and looked at the familiar pair of trunks. He had been looking for them for ages. Cahlen stood up and stared at John and the piece of garment he held in his hands. She stared at it for a moment until a certain memory flashed in her mind in detail. She cringed at it.

“You can change in Dawson’s room.” Cahlen said without looking at him. “Do you remember where it is?”

“Uh, yeah.” John mumbled before leaving her room and making his way down to the bedroom he spent many nights hiding in.
♠ ♠ ♠
So first of all, I would like to apologize for the long wait. Thank you for everyone who waited! The reason I stopped was because I felt like no one really liked it so I became disinterested. Nevermind that, though. I am back and really excited for the rest of the story. I have the next seven chapters planned out and everything. Just don't expect fast updates because I am really busy and will be for the next few weeks.

I was going to split this chapter into two but I felt like I owed you a mega-update for my disappearance.
Please comment :)