Status: Slowly coming back to life.

It Is Just A Child's Game

Chapter Fourteen

John stared at his reflection in the mirror. It brought him back four years. The board shorts still fit him perfectly but his hair was short and styled better. His body definitely buffed up as compared to his old lanky frame.

He ran a hand through his hair and let out a sigh. He gathered his clothes in one hand and slowly made his way downstairs. The noise of the television was his guide to where Frankie was. He reached the living room where Frankie lay upside down while staring aimlessly at the screen.

“Hey Frankie!” John called, catching the attention of the toddler. “Are you dressed already?”

“Yup!” Frankie exclaimed, jumping up to sit on the couch properly. “I’ve been waiting to swim the whole day!”

John let out a hearty laugh and messed up the boy’s light brown hair that had turned blonde thanks to the sun.

“Are you ready to go swimming?” John asked and watched the little boy’s face light up.

“YES! YES! YES! YES!” Frankie yelled as he jumped on John. Luckily, John was able to catch him.

“First, do you know how to swim?” John asked to which the little boy nodded enthusiastically.

“Yup!” He exclaimed. “I learned when momma and I went to the beach in spring.”

John’s mood slightly dampened because of momma. However, Frankie’s bright attitude was infectious.

“I even have a floaty donut!” he continued. “Misses A bought it for me! It is outside!”

“Okay, then.” John said as he put the boy down. “As long as Cahlen won’t mind.”

“She won’t!” Frankie exclaimed before grabbing John’s hand and leading him to the pool.

The two boys stepped under the Arizona sun. Despite the fact that it was winter, the sun was still shining above them. It was around three in the afternoon but thankfully there seemed to be some winter wind. Frankie grabbed his donut and then jumped into the pool. He submerged after a few seconds before fixing the donut around his small body.

John jumped into the pool, causing small waves. Frankie splashed John with water and John returned fire. They continued attacking each other until John got tired and hung on to the inflatable. The two talked about Frankie and how he was enjoying Arizona when all of a sudden the door slid open. John was left breathless.

Cahlen stood there with her dark red hair fixed in a sloppy bun. The lose tendrils curled around her ear. She was wearing a plain black bikini set that made her hair and skin stand out. She might have had a nice body in high school but it was nothing compared to what she had now. Instead of just bones and skin, she had muscles but not too much. Most of all, the thing that topped everything was the small smile on her face.

It was a mischievous smile. It looked as if she was amused by something she shouldn’t be. It was a smile that hardly made an appearance on her face and John had always felt it was a smile just for him.

Wow. I can’t believe she’s a mother. She’s definitely a MILF. Shit! I shouldn’t be thinking like that. She’s a dirty whore. She’s a dirty whore.

John immediately looked away to stop having more thoughts like that.

“Kaykay, come in!” Frankie screamed, paddling to the edge of the pool, causing John to lose his grip on the donut.

“In awhile!” Cahlen said, her smile growing into a full one. “What have you two been doing?”

“Nothin’ much. Just chillin.” Frankie replied as he gestured to his donut for added effect. “John mentioned something about a game, though. Come in! John can teach us the game. Right?”

“Uh, yeah.” John mumbled, still avoiding Cahlen. “Of course.”

“See. Hurry, Kaykay!” Frankie exclaimed.

Cahlen listened to the toddler, and quickly got into the water. She dunked her head underwater and then snuck up on Frankie. She wrapped her arms around his small torso and lifted him as she stood up. The little boy let out a scream of excitement and a smile grew on his face. She let go of him and he floated on top of the water.

“John!” He exclaimed. “What’s the game?”

“I am going to teach it to you, but” John said, pointing at Frankie. “I think Cahlen knows it already.”

Cahlen raised an eyebrow but said nothing. She racked her brain for any idea of what it could be but nothing was coming.

“Teach me! Teach me!” Frankie screamed excitedly.

“Okay,” John said with a smile. He swam to the side of the pool and picked out a pebble that surrounded the pool. “This is how the game goes. We are all going to close our eyes. I am going to toss the pebble into the air and it will land somewhere in the pool. When it does, we’ll have to look for it. The first person to find it, wins!”

“Okay,” Frankie said, taking in the game. “Let’s play!”

“Wait,” Cahlen said. “Isn’t the pool to deep for him?”

“That’s true.” John said, thinking about it.

“But I want to play!” Frankie said, crossing his arms.

“How about we play in the shallow part?” John suggested.

Cahlen nodded her head in agreement along with a shrug. The three of them swam to the other end and began the game. They had played the game nearly thirty times. Out of all the games, Frankie won the most and John the least.

“I don’t think you’re really that good at the game, John.” Frankie said after he won another round.

“Yeah, whatever.” John said and made a face at Frankie.

Cahlen let out a laugh as she watched John and Frankie banter back and forth. Even though John barely one any of the games, she knew that was because he planned it. No one stands in the water for ten seconds doing nothing because they wanted to win.

“Okay boys,” She said, interrupting their conversation. “Will you keep arguing or are we going to play another round?”

“Another round!” Frankie exclaimed.

“Really?” John asked.

Frankie just stuck his tongue out at John before nodding at me.

“I don’t want to play another round!” John said before Cahlen could toss the coin.

“You just don’t want to play because you keep losing.” Frankie said.

“Okay, bring it on then, little one.” John said, taunting the toddler.

Cahlen simply shook her head at the two boys before tossing the coin into the air. The coin hit the surface of the water and sunk to the bottom. Frankie and John dived underwater to begin their search. It wasn’t long before John resurfaced with a shining silver coin in between his fingers.

“YEAAAAAAH BAAAAABY!” John exclaimed.

Frankie soon surfaced with his arms crossed and a pout on his face. Cahlen began to make her way towards him but before she reached him, lightning cracked in the sky.

“Get out of the water!” John yelled as he directed Cahlen and Frankie to the edge of the pool so that they could climb out. Before they were able to get out, it began to pour.

The rain hit them hard and fast. Each drop was like a tiny punch. It pounded on their skin and made them want to move even faster. They all climbed out of the pool and ran to the door.

“Wait! The coin!” Frankie yelled as he changed directions.

John and Cahlen didn’t react fast enough to be able to stop the little boy. He ran towards the pool and picked up the silver coin that was left on the ledge of the pool. He held the coin tightly in his fist and turned around to run back inside the house.

His tiny feet slapped against the cement and grass. He was running as fast as he could but before he could reach the two adults, he slipped. His small body flew into the air before landing on the ground with a heart breaking crash as his head hit the cement.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I know it's been forever and you all must be getting sick of my odd moods that cause me to take forever to update but I am trying to overcome that! Anyway, I really do have the next couple of chapters planned out. I just have a hard time putting it down to words.

I hope you liked the chapter...or maybe you hated it but please, please comment.