Status: Slowly coming back to life.

It Is Just A Child's Game

Chapter Eight

Cahlen stood on the sidewalk with her arms crossed and foot tapping a steady beat. Her fiery red hair was tied back in a sleek high ponytail while her sideswept bangs were neatly combed to the side. Her eyes were lined with black eyeliner and eyeshadow. There was just the right amount where it gave her the smokey eye effect and not the raccoon one. Her lips were slightly tinted pink and glimmered a bit thanks to her lip gloss. A plain tight purple tube top adorned her upper half and black skinny jeans clung to her legs. She balanced on simple black pumps that gave a four inch boost to her height. An intricately designed black choker finished her whole look.

She pulled out her slim silver phone out of her pocket and checked to see if she had any messages. When there was none, she scrolled through her phonebook and called three people. None of them answered so she assumed that they must be there already. And by there she meant the party she was about to enter.

She stood at the base of the walkway that led to the front door of the pumping house. The obnoxiously loud music made the house look like it was vibrating and she was pretty sure houses ten blocks away could hear it. There were multi-colored lights streaming out of the windows of the house. People littered the front yard, some of the completely sober, others way past drunk.

She let out a sigh before walking up the cobbled walkway, focusing on keeping her balance. When she reached the front door, she pushed it and almost ran into two people making out. She mumbled an apology but even if she said it louder, the couple still wouldn’t have heard her.

She pushed past people, making her way towards the kitchen where she was sure there would be barely anyone. She was not disappointed. She made her way to the island counter where she saw multiple cups. She picked up a cliché red cup and made herself a simple rhum coke. She sipped from her drink cautiously. She had no plans to get drunk tonight.

Someone bumped into her and the dark liquid just narrowly missed her. She heard a snicker from behind her and she snapped her head in that direction. There stood a thin, lanky boy who was just about an inch taller than she was in her heels. His skin was almost as white as hers and his brown hair was a messy mop on top of his head. The smile that used to occupy his face quickly disappeared and was replaced with a sneer.

Cahlen rolled her eyes and glared at him before walking away. As she walked away, she shook her head. She wondered why he was looking at her with such disgust. Sure, he glared at her and insulted her everyday but none of them ever contained as much distaste as his last one did. She didn’t do anything to him either. They were only mean to each other because she hated his best friend for most of her life.

She entered the house’s living room and quickly found herself in the belly of the beast. The music was making her deaf and she could feel her heartbeat going along with the bass of the current song. Hot and sweaty bodies were colliding with hers and she was shocked there was still anything left in her cup.

The air in the room was hot and Cahlen was having a hard time breathing. People were grinding on each other, others were making out, and some looked like they were going to need their own room soon. She spied two familiar faces from across the room and pushed people aside to make her way towards them. She reached the dark haired boys, brown and blue eyes, and their familiar faces.

“Hey guys,” She said, a huge smile gracing her features.

She was going to lean in and hug them but they immediately left. She was left there standing alone. She stared after them with her mouth agape and they soon disappeared in the crowd. She tried to think of a reason why they would be mad at her but nothing came to mind. Sure, she had been spending less time with them lately but that could hardly be the reason.

She brought out her phone again and composed a new text message. She was about to hit the send button but she saw the recipient of the message among the crowd. She pushed people aside to reach him but before she could reach out she noticed that he was surrounded by four of his closest friends and the two people who walked away from her awhile ago.

Her bright blue eyes connected with sea green ones. She looked at his face but it showed no emotion so she shrugged and decided to just walk away.

“Dude, I bumped into Cahlen awhile ago.” Cahlen heard as she turned around to walk away. Instead of walking away, she decided to just stand there and try to listen to their conversation. “I saw her with a cup. Maybe, she’ll get drunk tonight and wake up in some unknown guy’s bed tomorrow.”

“She doesn’t need to get drunk to do that.” She instantly recognized the voice and she felt a slight pain in her heart. “She could be perfectly sober and you would just have to snap your fingers so that she’d take her clothes off.”

Laughs erupted from the group and Cahlen felt her heart stop. Her breathing was ragged and she didn’t make a move causing people to bump into her. She stayed put and waited for the rest of the conversation.

“She fucks anything as long as it wants to fuck her.” The same voice said. “And they only want her because she’s easy.”

At that, something inside Cahlen snapped. She spun around and marched straight to the owner of the voice. Her face was bright red and she could feel the anger building inside her. She pushed people who were blocking her way and put her hands on her hips as she stood right in front of him.

“What did you say, O’Callaghan?” She questioned.

“You heard me, Anderson.” He replied. “You’re as easy as a sex doll.”

“Of course you would know what it’s like to be with a sex doll.” She replied with an arched eyebrow.

“So you are as easy as one.” He said, ignoring her statement.

“No!” Cahlen yelled, frustration building inside her.

“Are you sure?” He questioned. “If I remember correctly, it didn’t take you very long last week.”

“What are you talking about?” She yelled, hoping what she was thinking was wrong.

“Oh, don’t tell me that you forgot our encounter last week. Or did I just blend in with all the other people you slept with?” He said snidely.

The whole party went silent. The house was eerily still and everyone’s attention was on the two people verbally attacking each other. The tension was thick and the audience waited in anticipation.

Cahlen stared at him shocked, unsure of how to react. Questions and sentences were floating around her head and she couldn’t focus on anything. All she could see before her was red. It was flashing before her eyes, running through her veins, and beating in her ears.

“I am actually surprised you stuck with me for four months.” He said very loudly. “Imagine that, ‘one guy’ in four months. I thought when it came to you it was four guys in one night.”

A few snickers and whispers floated around the room.

“What the fuck do you think you are doing, John?” Cahlen said as she took a few steps closer to him so that they were centimeters away.

“Just telling the truth, Cahlen.” He replied with a smirk. “I am just trying to find a place to begin. I am not even really sure as to where to start. I am kind of surprised I survived with all your whining. It must have been because of the sex. You are so easy. You are really desperate too. It must be because of all your mommy and daddy issues.”

Cahlen’s glare intensified. A line was set on her face and everything blocked out of her head except for the sea green eyes that deceived her.

“What did you just say, O’Callaghan?” She said with such anger and hate that the room had fallen completely silent once again.

“Oh, nothing.” He replied innocently at first. “Just that you are a lonely, desperate, and easy whore who is unloved by her parents.”

“TAKE THAT BACK!” She yelled as she grabbed his shirt. “I am loved by my parents.”

“Yeah, of course you are.” He said in a calm and sarcastic tone. “I meant your real parents, Cahlen. If they really loved, don’t you think they wouldn’t have put you up for adoption? You aren’t loved by them or anyone Cahlen. You are going to live and die alone and unloved without leaving an impact on anyone.”

With that, a pin dropped. Cahlen’s hand collided with John’s cheek and the sound echoed in the room. She threw her drink in his face before staring at him. Her eyes were red and her whole body was shaking. She stormed out of the house, knocking people aside as she did so.

She ran all the way home. Her feet ached and were covered with blisters. She could feel the pain from her feet but it was nothing compared to the pain she got from her heart. As soon as she reached her house, she burst through the front door and locked it. After, she collapsed on the floor and her sobs ricocheted around the empty house.

Tears flowed freely and she knew her make-up was messed up. Her breathing was uncontrollable and her lungs were yelling for air. Her whole body ached physically and emotionally. Every emotion was intensified and she fell asleep on the floor, crying.

John heard the bass echo in his ears. The lights were flashing on his face and he had to raise his hand to block it. He could feel the sweat running down his neck and back thanks to the Arizona air and the multiple dancing bodies that filled up the room. His fingers were wrapped around a cold beer bottle. He thought about taking a swig but decided against it. He needed to be completely focused if he wanted to succeed.

He was surrounded by four of his closest friends who talking animatedly. He couldn’t concentrate on their conversation as his eyes scanned through the crowded party. He was about to give up but soon his sea green eyes connected with bright blue ones.

He fought the smile that was trying to appear on his face. He had to keep a stoic expression and not let anything show. He turned back to his friends and tried to listen to what they were saying.

“Dude, I bumped into Cahlen awhile ago.” One of his friends said and John noticed that the owner of the bright blue eyes stopped moving and was patiently standing nearby the group. “I saw her with a cup. Maybe, she’ll get drunk tonight and wake up in some unknown guy’s bed tomorrow.”

John cringed at the end of that sentence. He was glad she couldn’t see him right now or else it would have blown everything.

“She doesn’t need to get drunk to do that.” He said before he took a sip of his beer. “She could be perfectly sober and you would just have to snap your fingers so that she’d take her clothes off.”

Laughs erupted from the group and John noticed her body go rigid. She didn’t make a move though and looked like she intended on hearing the rest of the conversation. It was now or never.

“She fucks anything as long as it wants to fuck her.” John said, his voice getting a little bit louder. “And they only want her because she’s easy.”

He waited for a reaction from her and he wasn’t disappointed. She turned around and was marching straight to him. Her face matched her hair and he could almost see smoke coming out of her ears. She was pushing people away and stopped directly in front of him. She rested her hands on her hips and stared straight into his sea green eyes with anger.

She looked so cute angry. John thought but reprimanded himself for doing so. He wasn’t supposed to be thinking like that. He was the one making her angry and he knew that she would get a whole lot angrier.

“What did you say, O’Callaghan?” She questioned.

“You heard me, Anderson.” He replied non-chalantly. “You’re as easy as a sex doll.”

“Of course you would know what it’s like to be with a sex doll.” She replied with an arched eyebrow. The girl, that had tortured John almost his whole life, resurfacing after not being seen for around four months.

“So you are as easy as one.” He said, ignoring her statement.

“No!” She yelled and he could see the frustration building inside her.

“Are you sure?” He questioned cockily, knowing that the next part was the point of no return. “If I remember correctly, it didn’t take you very long last week.”

“What are you talking about?” She yelled and he could see the panic in her eyes.

“Oh, don’t tell me that you forgot our encounter last week. Or did I just blend in with all the other people you slept with?” He said with as much hate as he could muster.

The whole party went silent. The house was eerily still and everyone’s attention was on the two people verbally attacking each other. The tension was thick and the audience waited in anticipation.

John stared at her and waited for her to reply. She was frozen in front of him and he knew that her mind was going on over-drive. He took a deep breath, glad that she was too distracted to notice. He knew everything he was going to say was going to hurt her and ruin whatever relationship they shared. He didn’t want to hurt her but he had to.

“I am actually surprised you stuck with me for four months.” He said very loudly. “Imagine that, ‘one guy’ in four months. I thought when it came to you it was four guys in one night.”

A few snickers and whispers floated around the room. Usually, he would have smiled at the fact that the audience was entertained by him but he didn’t like the feeling he was getting inside him now.

“What the fuck do you think you are doing, John?” She said as she took a few steps closer to him so that she was just a few centimeters away from him.

“Just telling the truth, Cahlen.” He replied and plastered a smirk on his face. “I am just trying to find a place to begin. I am not even really sure as to where to start. I am kind of surprised I survived with all your whining. It must have been because of the sex. You are so easy. You are really desperate too. It must be because of all your mommy and daddy issues.”

Her glare intensified and it took John everything he had to not wrap his arms around her and take everything back.

“What did you just say, O’Callaghan?” She said with such anger and hate that the room had fallen completely silent once again.

“Oh, nothing.” He replied innocently at first but knowing what he was going to say next was anything but innocent. “Just that you are a lonely, desperate, and easy whore who is unloved by her parents.”

“TAKE THAT BACK!” She yelled as she grabbed his shirt. “I am loved by my parents.”

“Yeah, of course you are.” He said in a calm and sarcastic tone. He prepared himself. Next was the bomb. “I meant your real parents, Cahlen. If they really loved, don’t you think they wouldn’t have put you up for adoption? You aren’t loved by them or anyone Cahlen. You are going to live and die alone and unloved without leaving an impact on anyone.”

John felt nothing but guilt and regret when he saw her face. He knew he struck gold with everything he just said because she told him all of that in confidence and now he was throwing it back to her face with everyone to watch.

Her hand collided with his cheek but before he could bring his hands to his aching face, he was covered in her ice cold drink. He ran a hand to wipe some of it off and stared into her bright blue eyes. He could see the pain, anger, regret, and hate in them. He knew he had succeeded.

She broke eye contact and then turned around and walked right out of the house.

John wanted to run after her so badly. He wanted to wipe the tears that he was sure were falling right now. He wanted to ditch the party and spend the whole night with her. He wanted so many things and they all revolved around her.

He shouldn’t want anything with her though. He knew he was going to hurt her and his only goal was to make sure she would hate him forever.

John knew he was no good for her and that in the end he was going to break her heart anyway. But it was better to do it now before it got too serious. He knew he was an ass and that she would get affected by it and he didn’t want to have to put that on her. She could do so much better than him. So, he did what he knew best to do and was a total ass to her.

“Hey man, are you okay?” A lanky and skinny boy said.

“Yeah, Halvo.” John replied before chugging the rest of his beer.

His mission was accomplished and he had a whole new one to do. Tonight, he was going to get totally smashed. He was going to do a bunch of stupid things so that when people think of that night they’ll think of John’s stupid antics and nothing of the red hair, blue-eyed girl.

The rest of the night you could not see John without a drink in his hand. He failed at beer pong and everything else he did. He was pretty sure he hooked up with someone that night but couldn’t remember how the girl looked like or even if it was a girl. He hoped it was though.

The next morning, he woke up in a room that was not his own. His vision was blurred and his head was pounding. He fell out of the bed he was in and searched the room for his clothes. He put them on and made his way out of the room, not even checking to see who he had fucked the night before.

He walked home and cursed the bright Arizona sun multiple times. Once he reached his house, he covered all the windows in his room and lay down on his bed in the darkness. He pulled out his phone from his pocket to check the time but instead so something that made his heart break into smithereens.

One missed call from Cahlen Anderson.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys! :) I am sorry for taking forever on this chapter but it is long so I hope that makes up for it! :D Part of the reason was because was out last weekend and the rest is that I just have been feeling uninspired to write. I am sorry but I am really trying to find that need to write again. It's just hard when barely anyone comments and whatnot.

I am not saying I am not going to update if you don't comment but I am saying that it will be a lot easier for me to write if you do which also means I'll update faster.

Thanks to theloveinmyclub for commenting last time! :D Your comment really kept me going when writing this chapter.

Oh and this is a flashback of the party that's been referred to a few times in the story. It's really important.