The Past

I can't trust anything, even you, my friend.

I sat at the wooden table, cigarette in my hand, drowning my sorrows in beer. I knew that I shouldn't be smoking in a public area but no one had come up to me to stop me yet so I just continued hoping the nicotine could somehow lift my mood. No luck so far. The room was pretty smokey anyway so I figured I wasn't the only one breaking the law.

I opened my mouth letting out a cloud of smoke before sipping from the almost-empty bottle of beer. A group of loud people suddenly came barging through the door. They all had smiles on their faces and one of the group made his way over to the bar and ordered a bottle of champagne, they were obviously celebrating.

I couldn't remember the name of the bar, but from the interior it wouldn't strike me as a place that would sell champagne. I observed the group as they made their way over to the table next to mine. My heart started to race as my eyes landed on who seemed to be the center of attention and the girl next to him.

I swiftly finished my drink and put out my fag in the ash-tray that I had only just come to notice before grabbing my coat and making my way to the door. I couldn't be around them especially feeling the way I did at that particular moment.

"Avery?" I heard an all too familiar voice call my name as my hand made contact with the door knob. 'So close!'

"What are you doing here?" I turned around coming face to face with the man I wanted so hard to ignore.

"Um, ..." I didn't have time to say anything else as a soft female voice interrupted me... even though I had hardly said anything.

"Will, what are you doing? Everyone's waiting for you to- Oh, hey Ave'. Long time no see." She said awkwardly, wrapping her arm around Will's.

"Uh, hi Mia." She smiled briefly at me before turning back to Will.

"You need to open the champagne, it is you we're celebrating after all."

"Yeah, kay... " He turned back to me, his eyes lighting up suddenly. "Join us!" He exclaimed making me jump. I looked over at the group of people, realising for the first time since they arrived who they were. They were, used to be, my friends.

"Oh, I don't think that's such a good-"

"Nonsense, you'll join us, won't you Avery?" He said interrupting his girlfriend.

"Um, I was just about to leave actually, I've got an early start in the morning." Lie.

"And you decide to leave at one in the morning when you have an early start?" Mia asked with that bitchy expression forever etched onto her perfectly done-up face. Will sent a brief glare towards the blond before smiling at me sheepishly and taking my hand, dragging towards the table of laughing people.

But the laughter died and the smiles vanished as we approached the table. I started fidgeting in discomfort under their shocked stares and murderous glares. "Uh, hey Avery. How's... things?"

I looked up to see Jack, one of my... I'm not entirely sure what he was to me anymore, he was smiling at me. If it was forced, he was a great actor.

"Um... You know, can't complain." I stated trying, and failing, to smile. Will sat down with Mia quickly joining him leaving me to stand there seeing as there was nowhere else to sit.

"Stacey, move over so Ave can sit down." Will said to the girl opposite who sneered at him before moving over to leave space for me to sit down.

"What are you doing here anyway?" Mia asked as she placed herself on Will's lap. "I mean you didn't come with anyone... Did you?"

"No, no. I just... it's been a busy day, I just needed a drink and a fag before going home." I said not wanting give too much way to these people. "Why are you all here?" I asked trying to sound polite.

"Actually, we're here celebrating. You see, Will's just gotten a big promotion. You know, the one you were aiming for before you quit." Stacey said with a smug expression. Jack started laughing as he wrapped his arm around her.

"Ouch, that was harsh." He told her grinning as he drank from his beer. She shot me a smirk before kissing his cheek.

"It's not that big a deal really." Will told me a light blush forming on his cheeks.

"Don't be so modest! You deserved that promotion more than anyone." Mia said. I sighed before checking the time on my phone. Quarter to two, I've been here too long.

"How about you, Ave? Anything special happening at work?" Jack asked me. Stacey rolled her eyes at her boyfriend before pouting, obviously not caring about how my life was going.

"Um..."

"Well, that sounds fascinating!" Stacey interrupted sarcastically before I could continue.

"Shut up Stace," Replied her boyfriend dismissively causing her to sulk.

"Nothing work related was very interesting..."

"What does that mean? Some thing non work relate happened? Ooh! Tell us!" Mia exclaimed, an excited glint in her eyes. She always was one to gossip.

"I don't really think I want to share any of my personal life with people who-" I stopped myself from saying something I would inevitably regret afterward and inhaled deeply trying to calm myself. "You know, I really think I should leave." I said standing up.

"Finally, she gets it!" Stacey yelled making me jump and half the bar, meaning two or three people, turn to look at us.

"Stacey." Will said, a warning evident in his tone.

"It's ok, I know I'm not wanted... And the feeling's mutual. You're all just a bunch of back-stabbing," I started turning to Mia "Cheating," turning to Will "Idiotic," I said to Jack "Manipulative little fucks." I finished smiling at Stacey.

"And the truth is, I'm glad you all betrayed me, and hate me, and make fun of me behind my back because that's what makes me really not give a shit about what you think." Stacey looked as if she wanted to strangle me, Jack looked utterly shocked which doesn't surprise me, I was always nice to him, Mia didn't look at me and Will just looked disappointed and hurt.

I turned around and walk towards the barman who looked completely stunned at me little outburst. "Bottle of Vodka please." I asked smiling. I was surprisingly calm considering the situation. He didn't say anything and just handed me a bottle. It was still cold.

I slapped a fifty pound note on bar before walking out the door. "Avery! Ave wait!" I gasped as someone pulled my arm roughly to turn me around. I was so surprised that I dropped the bottle of Vodka on the ground, watching as it smashed into tiny pieces.

"Ah! Will, stop it. You're hurting me." I whimpered as he grabbed both my arms tight.

"Will! What are you doing?!" Mia asked running towards us.

"Fuck off Mia!" He spat viciously before me pulling to the side of the building. He pushed me up against the wall, sending searing pain through my back. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Mia stomping grumpily back into the bar.

I turned back to Will, he was staring at me breathing heavily. "W-w-what's wrong?" The only answer I got was him roughly pressing his lips to mine. I placed my hands on his chest trying to push him away without avail, he only pushed harder against me.

I started to struggle, trying desperately to get out of his grip as he forced his tongue into my mouth. I started gasping for air when he finally pulled away. "I'm sorry Avery, I never meant to hurt you. I've changed, please take me back."

"You haven't changed!" I sobbed giving up on freeing myself.

"Yes I have! Just give me a chance to prove-"

"No, you haven't! You're still a lying, cheating, vicious waste of space. You're cheating on Mia right now!" He looked as if he was about to cry because of my words. He looked so... hurt. It just made want to hug him and kiss him and tell him everything was fine and dandy, I just couldn't.

We stood there for about five minutes until Jack found us. "Will, there you are... Come on, I'll take you home." I couldn't help but notice how he refused to look at me. It hurt.

Will reluctantly let me go and left with Jack. Every once in a while he would look at me over he shoulder, the same hurt look in his eyes. I sunk down onto the ground and wrapped my arms around my knees, placing my head on my arms and staring at the smashed bottle Vodka with silent tears running down my face, there went my night.

After about ten minutes, I decided that I had stared at the pieces of glass too long so I got up, wiped my face and started walk home. I didn't have a car and even if I did there was no way I was driving drunk. About half way back to my apartment, I realised just how cold I was... it was freezing!

I slowed down as a car stopped next to me. The driver opened the window and stuck his head. "You need a ride?" He asked. I smiled at him before politely shaking my head.

"I'm fine."

"You sure? You look pretty cold."

"Yes, but it wouldn't be very wise of me to except a ride from a stranger at two in the morning, would it?"

He started to chuckle before replying "No, it wouldn't. At least take this, I don't want you getting hypothermia." He handed me a black hoodie, smiling reassuringly. I scoffed but took the hoodie anyway.

"I'm not gonna get hypothermia."

"You might. Have you been drinking?" I furrowed my eyebrows at his question. Why would he care?

"Why? What's it to you?" I asked suspiciously.

"Calm down, it's just that alcohol consumption and substance abuse can increase the chances of hypothermia."

"You were really serious about the hypothermia thing, weren't you?"

"Of course," He said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Maybe it was and I was just too drunk to tell.

"Alright, I'll put on your stupid hoodie." I said shoving my arms through the sleeves, it was too big for me but it did make me feel warmer and it had this amazing smell, like a mix of cologne and something that I couldn't put my finger on.

"Good, well I best be going. Take care..." He trailed off obviously waiting for my name.

"Avery."

"Avery, don't go off with any strangers. And take care of that hoodie, it's my favourite." He said before driving away.

"Wait!" I shouted staring at the back of the car as it turned around the corner at the end of the street.

When I finally reached my flat, I walked into my bedroom and collapsed on my bed, knowing that I probably won't get to sleep. I got undressed and made my way to my wardrobe to get a big T-shirt to sleep in only to turn back around and put on the hoodie instead.

I lay in bed for about an hour or two, I didn't check, before falling into a short slumber.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy :]