Sequel: Dream.

Reverie.

1/1.

It was a completely normal day when it happened, bright sky, no gray clouds, sun shining, the kind of day where nothing bad is supposed to happen. It was a perfect day, a wonderful day in the neighbourhood, where everything was hunky-dory.

But really, the more she thought about it, the more it made sense that it would have happened on such a nice day. It would have been far too cliché if it had happened on a miserable as fuck day and her life was not a cliché.

She was standing at her counter, wiping it down with industrial strength cleaner that made her skin dry. She was trying to stave off the boredom that was so bad, she just felt like walking out, regardless of the fact she'd get fired. Was the money she made really worth being that fucking bored?

Yes, yes it was, she decided, as she wiped off the cash register. Other than the voices of the butcher floating up from the deli, the small store seemed completely empty. Everyone in town was heading inside their homes, not to the supermarket. She still had an hour left in her shift and she was bored.

When the door opened, she automatically looked up, hoping for a familiar face. Instead, she was met with a black ski mask and a pistol the size of a loaf of bread being waved around the air.

"This is a robbery!"

Well no shit, why else would you have that mask on? Idiot. Feeling rather calm, she stowed the cleaner back under the counter and sat down on the hard rubber mat that had destroyed her back in her first weeks of work. She felt no fear, despite the fact that there was a masked psychopath mere feet from her, waving a gun almost comical in size.

A woman walked around the corner, yammering on her cell phone, when she was blown away. Her brains splattered on the gum and chocolate and the girl had a feeling she would never eat a candy bar again. But she felt strangely apathetic about the whole situation. Yes, there was a piece of the woman's skull stuck into her shoe and the girls in the deli were screaming, but at least she wasn't so goddamn bored anymore. The whole robbery thing was kind of exciting. Her heart was beating quickly, making her sweat a little.

Adrenaline. Yes, she was having an adrenaline rush. Looking up, she met the eyes of the man, his face still hidden by the ski mask. His eyes were quite pretty actually, a nice shade of blue. She loved blue eyes. He was pointing the gun at her and she looked at it. Up close, it looked more like a toy then a weapon.

"My money?" She pointed towards the cash register, still staring at his eyes.

"My money?" She pointed again but he didn't move. He only stared back at her.

"Hello? Ma'am?"

Her head snapped up. In front of her was a man that was most certainly not wearing a ski mask, although his eyes were bright blue. She looked down. Her cash drawer was open and there was a twenty in her hand. He was glancing from her, to the drawer and back, looking completely bewildered. Shaking her head, she looked at the computer screen and counted out the rest of his change, handing it over with a flustered face.

"Have a good day," she mumbled at his back. Having officially snapped out of her reverie, she glanced up at the clock and cursed under her breath, reaching for the cleaner.

There was still fifty minutes left in her shift and fuck was she bored.
♠ ♠ ♠
I actually imagine this happening when I'm at work.