Dear Diary, I'm Not Normal

Eight

It was now the end of gym. Maggie and Catherine stood near the door, waiting for the bell to dismiss everyone. I sat on the floor of the gym leaning against a wall, panting with my knees up to my chest. I’d just ran 2 miles with the best time in my class. I felt a presence next to me. I picked my head up.

“Impressive today Miss Atkinson,” Daniel said, smiling at me.

“Ah! Don’t look at me, I’m all ugly and sweaty!” I spazzed, putting my face back into my knees like a little kid. I laughed at myself.

“Oh stop that Riley,” he pushed me over a little bit, and chuckled at me. I picked my head up again, looking over at him.

“You’re beautiful no matter what,” he blushed and looked away.

“Thanks, but I’m not,” I explained, watching his face put on a small smirk, as he stared at the gym floor. I watched him as we sat in silence for about 20 seconds, then I looked down as well.

“Hey, I wanted to ask you something,” he mentioned. I looked back up to him.

“You think, maybe,” he began, “maybe you wanted to go to the Halloween Dance with me?” My heart bounced. I saw a bit of fear in his eyes. I smiled.

“Sure,” I answered. His face lit up.

“Great!” he exclaimed, but then corrected himself, “-I mean, cool. What are you going as?”

“Eh, not sure. Probably a vampire or something,” I shrugged, straightening out my legs and resting my hands on the floor.

“Oh, cool,” he said. He slowly put his hand on top of mine. I flinched.

“Sorry…” he said, and looked away.

“No, sorry. That was me. I just got a little-” I paused. I grabbed his hand gently and held it in mine. He smiled, I smiled. The bell rang.