Status: Muahha.

I Can Rescue You

giving into the dark.

Two weeks later.

"Novalie, you need to eat something. Please?" I looked up at John and shook my head while pushing the plate of food he'd made for me away. I saw him frown more, if that was even possible, and then he set the plate down on the table and sat across from me. His head was in-between his hands, his elbows on his knees - his usual position when I wouldn't listen to him. "I know he's gone, trust me - I know what that feels like. But that doesn't mean you have to be gone, too, Nov. You're too important to so many people...like me. Dammit, Novalie, especially me." I kept my back to him and silently cried while he tried to put sense into me. "Fine. I give up. Starve yourself. But your dad wouldn't want this. I'm done trying."

John sighed and made his way out of Novalie's dark room, stuffing his hands in his pockets. He really was giving up - there was nothing he could do. He cared for her so much, but if that's what she wanted to do, then he wouldn't stop her. But he did have an idea because she at least had to eat.

Cori heard her doorbell ring, so she put her book down. She was reading Withering Heights and drinking some hot raspberry tea her mother had made for her. Her feet shuffled across the hardwood floors and she looked out the window next to the front door. She sighed as she saw John's sad expression. She knew what he had been through with Novalie - trying to make her eat and get out of the house. She opened the door, "Don't bring me into this, John. Please don't." His head fell. "I can't stand to look at her when she's like that."

"Please, Cori. She's not eating or talking. She won't get out of bed and she hasn't showered in over three days. I need your help." Cori folded her arms across her chest and leaned against the doorway. "I'm begging you."

"I don't want to see my friend like this, John." Cori sighed and smiled at him a little. "I know who can cheer her up." She grabbed her bag, and pulled John towards his car. "I'm driving."

After about a ten minute drive, they ended up in front of a giant two-story house, painted yellow with white shutters on the windows. He was already waiting outside, his guitar and the rest of his band with him. He smiled, waved and ran towards the pick-up truck. He sat in the front with Cori and John while the rest of the band sat in the bed of the truck. "Thanks for calling me."

"No problem, Austin," John smiled. "I really hope this works."

"If I'm the one handling this, she'll be out of her room in no time," He smiled. "I don't like it when she's like this. I don't think I've ever seen her so sad. But with good reason."

They arrived back at Novalie's house, trying to be quiet so it could be more of a surprise. After they got everything set up, Austin tapped on his microphone. "Novalie," He sang in the tune of 'Sierra The Serial Killer'. "Novalie!" We heard the door open. She peeked around the corner of her upstairs bedroom and looked at the band in her living room. She sighed and leaned her shoulder against the wall. As he played the song, trying to change the lyrics as much as he could, she couldn't help but smile a little bit. Austin was always such a goof-ball. After he was finished, she laughed, but tried to hide it. Austin waved at her and winked. "Novalie, get your ass down here and give me a hug." Slowly, she pattered down the hard-wood stairs and walked up to Austin with a small smile. "How are you doin', kid?"

"I've been better," She sighed and walked into his embrace. With his arms tight around her, she chuckled, "Who put you up to this?"

"Well, other than the fact that I wanted to do it, also...John and Cori."

"Figures," I laughed. She turned to her friends, "Thanks, guys."

Then she walked back upstairs and went back into her room. Austin and John had frowns on their faces, but Cori had tears falling from her eyes. She couldn't stand seeing Novalie like this.

John took Cori and Austin home with the rest of his band. After everyone was out of his truck, John went home and tried desperately to find his acoustic Taylor guitar. After he came home from tour, his room was always a mess and there were so much clothes he couldn't find anything. Finally there it was, under his desk behind a gigantic pile of clean clothes from tour. He grabbed it and rushed back over to Novalie's house.

He slowly walked upstairs and into her room. She turned slightly from her position facing the wall on her side and looked at him. She smiled a little and turned to face him, still on her side. "I really do appreciate what you guys did. I'm just not ready to see the world yet." John looked at her intently, then ran his hands through his hair before picking his guitar up. "Please, no more songs, John. I just want silence for a little bit." She turned back around to face the wall and he could hear her sigh. Then he decided to do something a little risky on his part. He unzipped his jeans and pulled them down, leaving him in his boxers. After that, he slipped his baseball t-shirt off and got in the bed with her, immediately holding her with his arms. "What are you doing, John?" She asked sadly.

"Just go to sleep."

"But, I - "

"Go to sleep, okay?"

For a second, Novalie was extremely nervous. Even though she had been making out with him just two weeks ago, this was a different level of intimate. She had never cuddled with a guy, or kissed a guy for that matter. She had never felt the warmth of a guy's skin until now, and she loved it, but it made her way too nervous. It felt nice, though, having someone with her at home. Her mother had left town, leaving her by herself. She said she would be back, but Novalie knew better. "John?"

"Hm?"

She turned to face him. "Why are you so nice to me?"

"Because I care about you." He didn't even hesitate. "And my mom cares about you, which is why she's letting me stay here."

"Oh," She said. "Thanks."

He looked at her sadly, "No problem."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry its been so long!