Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter one

I sat at the back of the classroom at Saffron City High, scowling yet chuckling at the same time. It was my last year of junior year, and I was stoked for the summer holidays. A lot of my classmates were too.

A lot of them had decided to go on Pokémon journeys over the break. This is why I was scowling yet chuckling.

I’ll be honest with you. I dislike Pokémon journeys immensely. I think it’s counterproductive to society that people abandon their families and friends to go and train around the land with their Pokémon.

Imagine if everyone went out to be a Pokémon master. There would be no one left to do the jobs needed for humans to survive. There would be no farmers to grow food for us to eat, there would be no one creating or expanding infrastructure that grants us roads, electricity, water, gas etc. and we’d never get other necessities we need.

I also think it’s cruel to make Pokémon fight against each other. It’s pointless, and it’s only for commercial gain.

But it’s mostly the abandoning family and friends reason. My mother and father met on their Pokémon journey of their own when they were around my age. They settled down after a few years, got married and then had me.

Dad grew bored of the lifestyle though, and yearned to go back into the wild as a Pokémon trainer. Mum knew she couldn’t hold him back, and allowed him to begin another journey. The deal was that he would return one day and tell us all about it. He never did return.

He’s definitely alive. About a year after we got no contact from him my Mum approached Officer Jenny in our town to lodge a missing person’s report. Officer Jenny did some research and asked her cousins, and he was located in a place. He declined to contact us, and declined to let Officer Jenny tell us where he was located.

I was broken out of my thoughts as a boy in my grade approached my desk. I narrowed my eyes at him; this loser has been trying to get with me since the seventh grade. I absolutely hated his cocky attitude.

“Hey babe, want to join my Pokémon journey over the summer? I’m going to beat Ash Ketchum, and if I do I’m not coming back to this place. You can be the girl on my arm, if you wish.” Cole offered.

“I don’t know who this Ash person is, but I pray to god you beat him so I don’t have to see your ugly mug around here again. But knowing you, you’ll fail, like you fail everything else. You’ve been going on these journeys every summer, and you fail to beat a soul. Just like you’ve been trying to pick me up since seventh grade.” I yawned loudly, already bored of his attempt.

I heard some girls behind me make some rude remarks, and I turned around to face them.

“Please. If you want him, go right ahead. It’s a sad day when a desperado like him won’t even acknowledge you.” I snapped at them, which made them shut up.

You see, I wasn’t very well liked around Saffron City. My dislike for Pokémon journeys was well renowned, which didn’t score too well to begin with.

I also had rejected a lot of guys in my school. Without sounding too stuck up, I guess I was pretty. Rejecting every guy made him think I was a bitch and stuck up, so they disliked me immensely.

The girls were even harsher. They couldn’t stand that I could casually reject every guy in this school, as evidenced before. I was the constant target for gossip, rumours and general bitching. But unlike them, I didn’t treat school like a jail or a war. I treated it like work. I was out of this place in exactly a year, and I could not be happier. Girls like them would lose everything they had worked for (popularity and the alike) on graduation day, where I would gain everything I had worked for.

So yes, I wasn’t terribly popular in this town. It had me rather bitter and rude, but if a stranger was kind to me, I could be kind back.

At 3 o’ clock the bell rang, and the classroom emptied out quickly as everyone charged out.

I walked behind the crowds slowly, not wanting to get caught up in it all. Besides it was probably quicker to get out dodging crowds than it would be to get caught up in them.

As I walked down the hallway, my English teacher, Mrs Madden jumped in front of me.

“Hey Lily, you’re a sensible girl who has her head screwed on properly, and I’m sure you want the best head start for senior year. Have you thought about summer school?” Mrs Madden asked me.

“Summer school? Isn’t that for kids who failed or did horribly over the year?” I blinked.

“Well yes, but various summer schools also hold classes and lectures for bright students like you who want to get ahead. I’m teaching a few classes there myself, and I know a few great teachers who will be doing lectures on intelligent subjects such as science and economics. It’d be a great way to learn knowledge needed for senior year.” Mrs Madden said, trying to persuade me.

“Sounds great!” I falsely said, taking the pamphlet and excusing myself.

On the walk home I flicked through the pamphlet. Getting a head start for senior year didn’t appeal to me, but actually doing something with my life would. For the past few years I stayed locked in my room for 3 months, talking on the Internet to my only friends. I had chosen this life I guess though, I couldn’t complain.

But what really depressed me was that extra schooling on my break was my way of trying to beat and deal with my loneliness. How depressing.

I got home, and unlocked the door with my keys. Mum was still at work, and wouldn’t be home for another few hours. I dumped my bag onto my bedroom floor and booted up my computer.

My eyes fell upon a pokéball on my bed. It was the only Pokémon I owned. Although I may be against Pokémon journeys, I still loved Pokémon.

I had a cute adorable Eevee, that my dad caught me just before he started his journey when I was 5. I loved her, and she loved me. We grew up together, and I of course made sure she NEVER trained. She got her exercise by going for walks, not fighting.

I opened up the pokéball, and Eevee popped out.

“Hey baby, I think it’s time for you to stretch your legs.” I cooed to her.

“Eeveeee!” She replied happily.