Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter twelve

Throughout the evening Ash didn’t lighten up towards me. I tried to approach him, but he’d turn his back on me to purposely shun me out, or he’d hint strongly for me to go away.

I tried to spend most of my time with Cindy, but she’d be talking to groups of guys. Whenever Ash saw this he would glare at me, and keep doing anything he could do to show he was unhappy with that, anything that didn’t involve talking to me.

So I spent a lot of time sitting out on the wall, whilst others were chatting and dancing. Whilst deep down I knew this wasn’t how a proper relationship should function and that I had done nothing wrong, I had a big fear of being alone.

I had finally had people to talk to, and had made some friends. I even found myself a boyfriend, something I never thought I would. I was so scared to lose all these, so I did what Ash wanted me to do. It was wrong, but losing my self-respect seemed better than being alone.

“What happened to you and Ashy boy? Not friends anymore?” I heard a familiar voice ask from my side.

I turned around and saw Gary Oak grin at me.

“Oh, hey. Um, we’re actually going out.” I shrugged, feeling embarrassed.

“Sure doesn’t look like it. He’s over there talking and flirting with other girls, and you’re the one sitting here miserable. It should be you flirting with boys, and him sitting here miserable. You’re better than him.” Gary said to me.

“Yeah, well Ash and I going out would explain the glare he’s shooting us right now.” I weakly grinned, as Gary looked over.

Gary grinned back and sent a wave to Ash, and when he noticed I wasn’t copying his actions he grabbed my arm and forced me to wave to Ash as well.

Ash was FUMING, and quickly grabbed the shoulder of the girl he was talking to affectionately. She gave him a disgusted look and brushed him off before storming off.

I looked at Gary, and we both burst out laughing.

“Thanks. I know it’s stupid, but he’s been controlling me all night by sending me glares. I kind of needed to be woken up.” I smiled at Gary.

“I’m worried about you. I barely know you, but Ash Ketchum should not control a beautiful girl such as yourself. It’s sick, no woman should be treated this way.” Gary said, looking disgusted.

“Feeling like a gentleman, Mr. Oak?” I grinned.

“No, I just respect women. Unlike Ash.” Gary shrugged.

I changed the topic after this. After Gary stating what he did, he was right. I didn’t need to listen to Ash. If he cared about he would trust me, and wouldn’t be chatting up girls to make me jealous just because he was. Besides, his rage was unwarranted. I hadn’t done ANYTHING wrong.

Gary then began to fill me in about why he was travelling and what he had been doing since we last met. It turns out he was a Pokémon trainer turned researcher (although he had told me this when we first met, he bought it up again and went into more detail) and had been thoroughly researching Kanto Pokémon and had been emailing his findings to his grandpa: the famous Professor Oak.

In return I told him the little I had been doing with Ash and Misty. Gary asked me about my other friends, which resulted in me hesitantly revealing my past in as little detail as possible. I didn’t want to seem like I was caught up in the past and seemed to just complain about my life all the time. I wanted him to think I was a positive person and not negative. However, it seemed to work.

“I wouldn’t have known you had no friends in Saffron City if you didn’t tell me. However, you seem to be able to make friends easily outside Saffron City, so it makes me think the problem is with those in your hometown and not you.” Gary analysed.

“I guess you’re right. Thanks for listening to my stupid problems; I don’t really care much about Saffron City anymore. I still have a month and a half of holidays, and I can get through senior year knowing I have real friends elsewhere I can visit on breaks. Thanks.” I smiled to Gary.

“No problem. Should we go find Ashy boy and make him realise that if he wants a woman as fine as you he needs to be nice?” Gary asked.

I scanned the room for him. I noticed a large group of older bimbos, and upon closer inspection I saw that Ash was in the middle of them all.

“Oh my god. You know something is wrong with your life when your old group of cheerleaders are now fawning over Ash Ketchum.” Gary said, rolling his eyes.

“What? You had your own group of cheerleaders?” I asked sounding amazed.

“Yep. When I was began my Pokémon journey at ten my parents sent over money for a convertible, and a driver. Naturally the cheerleaders tagged along. They hated Ash back then, and would go out of their way to insult him. It’s weird to see that they’ve done nothing productive with their lives, and it’s weird to see them follow that loser.” Gary shrugged.

“Oh. Most of them are pretty, and Ash doesn’t seem to be shrugging them off. It doesn’t even look like it’s for revenge, he’s not looking over and grinning with pride.” I said quietly.

“Look, for what it’s worth you’re better than all those bimbos combined. I was finally to get rid of them when I became a Pokémon researcher. They’re dumb, you can’t have a conversation with them, they’re whiny and they’re butt ugly without their make-up. Do you want to get out of here and go for a walk? I think this is upsetting you a lot more than it should.” Gary suggested.

He jumped up off the bench, and offered me his hand to help me up. I took it.

As we were making our way towards the gym door, Cindy approached me.

“Hun, I’m sorry Ash is being a jerk. I hate those bimbos, and the way he’s treating you is SO wrong.” Cindy said, giving me an apologetic look and a hug.

“That’s what I said.” Gary piped up.

Cindy looked at Gary, then back to myself and then at Gary again.

“Who’s this hottie?” She whispered to me.

“Gary. He’s fairly cute, but I’m taken so for your life.” I giggled.

“It’s nice to meet you, but I’m going to have to steal Lily from you for a while. We’re going for a walk to get away with Ash and his loserness. It’s contagious.” Gary winked at both Cindy and I.

“Nah, I’m going to stand back and watch how this pans out. Talk to you later.” Cindy said to me, patting my shoulder before walking off to a group of guys.