Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter thirteen

Gary and I were now outside. We were walking around the outside of the gym going around in circles. We had no idea where we were headed, or even what to talk about.

So we were walking around in circles silently and awkwardly. Still, it was probably less awkward than seeing my so-called boyfriend flirt with women older than him.

“So um, I’ve never really spent much time in Pewter City I’ve only ever travelled through. Is there anything of interest here?” I asked Gary.

“There is but uh, nah. You’d find it stupid.” Gary suggested, but then gave a small grin.

“You think I wasn’t being stupid before with the Ash thing? Come on suggest this thing. It’s no more stupid than sitting at a party being miserable.” I asked Gary.

“Good point. Um, it’s a science museum. For some reason it’s open twenty four seven. We don’t have to, but it’s pretty much the only thing to do at this time of night.” Gary shrugged.

“Sounds great! It seems cultured and intelligent. Why the hell not?” I smiled at Gary.

“Cultured and intelligent, you don’t seem to really be wanting to go.” Gary smiled back.

“No, I do. I’ve just never been to a science museum before. Besides, it’ll be more interesting with a man in the business explaining things to me, right? You’ll know more about the discoveries than what’s just on the plaque, and you’ll have interesting anecdotes to share.” I winked at Gary, who went bright red.

“I-I guess.” He modestly stammered out.

It took about ten minutes to walk to the science museum from the Pewter City gym. Only small talk was made, but it was nice in a way. I got to get to know Gary a lot better.

We then ended up outside the museum. It was painted brown for the body of the building, and had a red roof. It had an archway leading into the building, and gorgeous purple windows with a wide glass door. It probably looked better when you could see properly, but even in the dark the building looked impressive.

“So why is this place open all day everyday? I can’t see many people waking up at 3am with a craving for science.” I asked Gary.

“I believe the owners believe everybody should have access to science at anytime. There’s also a few travellers who only have time at night to visit the museum, once again on the presumption that everybody should have access to science at anytime.” Gary explained.

We went inside, and headed to the front desk to pay the admission fee.

“Only Gary Oak would take a fine woman here for a date.” The attendant smirked.

I could tell Gary was about to correct the attendant, but I got in first.

“And only a fine woman would accept a date at a museum for such a fine man like Gary Oak.” I smiled.

“Damn straight!” Gary replied, thumping his chest.

“The Oaks have done so much for this society that our boss has instructed us to give any Oak and their group free entry. So you may both head in. Please enjoy your visit.” The attendant said, bowing to us both.

“You’re quite the celebrity.” I giggled to Gary as we walked in, and linked my arm with his as he offered it.

“Yeah well, I guess chicks like you dig the celebrities, considering this is a date.” Gary teased.

I then realised what Gary and I were doing. We were flirting. This was bad, I had a boyfriend. I should back off though, right?

What would happen if I backed off? Gary would probably get offended, or at the very least we’d have to go back so we wouldn’t be alone anymore. Then I’d have to sit out on the wall miserable again as I watch my angry boyfriend flirt with older and prettier women.

At least this way Ash and I are even, and I get to have fun at the same time. No, I’d get to know Gary Oak and make a friend in him.

Gary led me over to the exhibitions on the first floor, which is when we dropped our linked arms.

“These are fossils of Aerodactyl and Kabutops. They’re both extinct Pokémon. What’s strange is that their fossils have only ever been found in the Kanto region, which means that they never travelled outside this region, and whatever made them extinct probably lies within this region only.” Gary explained.

“That’s interesting. Maybe it’s just the Kanto people being idiots who made them extinct. Maybe we killed their habitats, or caught them and killed them or something else evil that made them die out.” I replied to Gary, as I looked on at the fossils.

“That could be it, you know. I hate people who mistreat their Pokémon. I…well I believe that when I was a trainer I mistreated my Pokémon. I never grew a bond; I just used them as fighting machines only. Whilst I didn’t train them brutally and make them fight until they got hurt, I treated them as a tool and not something to love.” Gary sighed.

I ripped my eyes away to look at Gary.

“You were what, ten years old when you became a Pokémon trainer? Ten-year-old boys are always arrogant and snot nosed. Some grow up, some don’t. You are probably one of the ones that grew up. The fact that you can identify yourself as a person who may not have treated their Pokémon completely fairly when you were younger shows you have grown up.” I replied.

“As much as I hate to admit it, Ash was never like that. He always grew a bond with his Pokémon, and loved them to death.” Gary admitted.

“Yeah well, I thought we weren’t going to mention Ash anymore. Besides, Ash still acts like he’s ten years old. Come on, let’s go to the second floor.” I said to Gary and attempted to lead him away.

I could tell this subject was really eating him up inside, and at the moment Gary was my saviour, I didn’t want to hear him compare himself in a negative way to Ash, the one I was angry with.