Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter fourteen

“So Professor Oak junior, you made that visit quite interesting. Thank you.” I smirked as we were walking through a park back to Pewter city gym.

“Well technically I’m not a professor yet as I have not completed my education. But I’m not going to be Oak junior. Gary Oak does not borrow names from anybody,” Gary arrogantly replied “But thanks for the kind words, I guess.”

“That’s the first date I’ve ever been on. Thanks for making it awesome.” I smiled.

“Wait, hold up. You were a date virgin before tonight?” Gary asked, shooting his arm out in front of me to stop me from walking.

“Uh yeah, is that a problem?” I nervously asked, his unfavourable reaction making me anxious.

“No, I guess not. I’m just shocked, and I feel bad. I thought you would have gone on a date with Ash…if I knew it was your first date ever I would have made it more special.” Gary said, and was that guilt reflected in his voice? Wow, didn’t know this kid was capable of such a feeling.

“But that’s what made it special and memorable. Because it was so random. Besides, I learned more on this date than I would watching a stupid romantic comedy on a movie date. All because of you.” I explained, a huge smile on my face.

“Good. Gary Oak likes to know that Gary Oak pleases.” Gary smiled, thumping his chest.

“You know Gary, underneath all that arrogance and constant adding to your ego, you’re a great guy. You put on a good act, but I know it’s just to keep up to your reputation. You showed a different side of you tonight, and you can’t take it back.” I teased.

He weakly smiled, backing down from this playful fight.

“Yeah, I think you’re right. But keep it secret though.” He winked.

“You know, I really don’t want to go back to Brock’s party. Not to be clingy to you or make this date last longer, don’t worry I’m not a psycho. I just don’t want to have to deal with Ash.” I sighed, as we began walking again.

“Then don’t. We can stay out a little longer, that was our original plan after all – to get away from Ash.” Gary shrugged.

“Alright. Should we sit over there?” I asked, pointing to a white gazebo next to a large lake.

“Sounds like a plan.” Gary smiled.

We both slowly walked over to the gazebo not being in a real big rush. We sat down next to each other, and I turned around just a tad to be able to face Gary.

“So Ash never took you out on a date?” Gary asked curiously.

“Not really. I mean, we got together when we were alone Pokémon training, but it wasn’t really a date.” I shrugged.

“Ah, so onto better topics. You’ve been training your Eevee after my advice that she’s restless?” Gary asked.

“Yeah, I have. Only small stuff. She’s fought with a few of Ash’s Pokémon but of course she’s no match for them. I’ve also done things like ask her to shoot at targets with her attacks. You’re right, she has settled down a lot since.” I informed Gary.

“That’s good…listen, I have a LOT of Pokémon from back when I was a trainer. A lot of them have never been trained at all, and would have a lot less XP than your Eevee does. I can get a Pokémon that has around the same experience as Eevee and we can battle if you want, the odds will be fair so we can see who would really win.” Gary suggested.

“Thanks, but it’s not just about strength when it comes to Pokémon. It’s all about a trainer’s skill too. You’ve travelled Kanto and Johto as a trainer, and travelled even more as a researcher. You know all the tricks of the trade where I don’t. Hardly fair.” I smiled.

“That might be so. But you still have one advantage over me. You know your Eevee well, and bond with it. I’ve probably only visited the Pokémon I’ve chosen maybe once or twice. I haven’t bonded for it; it probably cares more for Gramps than it does for me and I barely know it. This evens things out.” Gary explained.

I thought about it for a few seconds.

“Alright. We may as well, I guess. But don’t go easy on me! I want Eevee and I’s second win to be earned fair and square!” I protested.

“Psh, kid. This is Gary Oak battling you, not loser Ash Ketchum who would do something than that. I don’t hand out wins, or go down without a fight.” Gary replied, and began to walk off.

“Hey, where are you going?” I asked him, running up to him to try and catch up.

“To the Pokémon centre. How else am I going to get my Pokémon out?” Gary asked, as if I was an idiot.

“Oh, right.” I replied, my cheeks burning with embarrassment.

On the walk to the Pokémon centre I let my Eevee out to walk behind us. It would serve as a good warm up, and I could see she really needed to be trained, as she was being very cheeky and nipping at my toes.

Gary noticed this, and turned around. He bent down to pet Eevee, but she jumped into his arms and licked his face.

“She likes you. She’s nice to you. She nips my feet.” I said sulkily, crossing my arms.

“Aw, she does it because she loves you.” Gary smirked.

“She’s the only licking your face and in your arms. She likes you. You say being a good trainer involves a bond? Good luck to me then, she’s bonding well with you.” I replied, once again sounding sulky.

Upon hearing this, Eevee jumped out of Gary’s arms and onto my shoulder, and licked my ear furiously.

“See, she does love you. Now, let’s go inside so we can consult gramps into which Pokémon I should battle with you.” Gary said, and offered his hand once we got outside the Pokémon centre.

I took no hesitation in grabbing it as we headed in. He offered it in a ‘let’s do this together’ way and not as a romantic gesture. But guilt immediately consumed me. I still did have a boyfriend even though I was very angry with him. I shouldn’t be doing this, right?