Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter seventeen

“Congratulations.” Gary smiled at me, walking over to me to shake my hand.

However, as he stretched out his hand, Shellder appeared in front of me and tried to ward off Gary by tackling him.

“Wow, calm down Shellder. The battle is over. I can send you home to Gramps if you’d like, just hold still while I put you back in your ball.” Gary said to Shellder.

Shellder let out a loud squeal, and ran behind my legs. I think I get what Shellder was trying to say.

“Gary um. I think Shellder wants to come along with me from now on. Is that right?” I asked Shellder, who jumped up and down happily.

“Oh, right. Well sure, if you’re willing to take him that is. I haven’t been much of a trainer to Shellder, so it’s only fair if he goes to a good home.” Gary replied. He seemed a little upset by Shellder’s actions, but at the same time I could see he felt empathy towards Shellder.

“Well if you’re sure. Eevee, would you like a new travelling companion?” I asked Eevee.

She barked happily, going over to Shellder and jumping up and down happily

“I guess it’s settled then?” I said, giving Gary one last look before opening my clutch purse.

I dug around my purse until I found what I was looking for. Pokéballs. I always carried necessities in my purse, and Pokéballs was one of them.

I grabbed a spare one, and pressed the button to enlarge it so I could catch Shellder. I then threw the ball at Shellder, it opened and Shellder jumped outside straight away, ready to be caught.

I then picked up the ball and admired it in my hands. I put it back into my purse and grabbed another one.

“Eevee you put on a great fight, and I’m really proud of you. It’s time for a well deserved rest.” I smiled at my Pokémon.

Eevee just let out what I considered a happy sigh, as I pulled her ball out and shut her inside. I then put her ball back into my purse and clipped it shut.

I turned to Gary, who seemed to be rubbing his neck awkwardly.

“Where to next?” I asked him.

“I don’t know. We’ve pretty much exhausted the things to do here, especially at this late hour.” Gary confessed, smiling weakly.

I took the hint and looked at the time on my phone. 1.34am.

…no calls from Ash either, wondering where I was. But then again, I hadn’t called him either.

“It is getting pretty late. Do you want to head back now?” I asked Gary.

“Well um, I don’t mind, I can if you want to or I can stay out of you want, it’s up to you.” Gary replied, a nervous smile playing on his lips.

“That means yes, but you’re too polite to say otherwise.” I smiled back, and turned to head off but instead of following me, Gary grabbed my shoulder.

“No really, I don’t mind. I just can’t think of anything to do at the moment. I don’t want you to think I’m boring you or something.” Gary honestly confessed.

“You’re not boring. You’re the one that came up with all the ideas for tonight; I’m the one letting the team down. I just think maybe we should head back though, back to reality, right? It’s not just Ash, I’m sure by now Cindy and Brock are worrying where I am, unless they got drunk and passed out.” I replied, weakly smiling.

“Maybe Brock got laid?” Gary suggested.

However we both shook our heads and laughed intensely.

“You’re not going to like my subject change, but how are you gonna act with Ash? You should probably know before you confront him.” Gary said, slowing down his pace a little as we were now walking towards the gym.

It was not in sight yet, but you could hear the loud music still going.

“You’re right. Well um, I’m not sure. If he’s still going to be an ass about it, I’ll just call things off and organise my way home first thing in the morning. If he apologises and makes things right I guess I’ll see where things go from there.” I said to Gary.

“If you want, if things don’t work out with you and Ash and you want to continue travelling, you’re welcome to come along with me. If that isn’t creepy to offer or too full on.” Gary suggested.

“It’s not full on, but you’re losing your cockiness and your arrogance. Keep your game up man,” I smiled, and Gary smiled back “But I’ll see how things go.”

“I personally would try and get back at Ash if I were you. You should at least make things equal if you want to patch things up. He flirted with other girls, and who knows what he may have done whilst you were gone.” Gary said.

I stopped in my tracks. The gym was now in sight, but it was still far away enough that you couldn’t see anybody inside or outside, and they wouldn’t be able to see us.

“How do you suggest I do that?” I asked, cocking up an eyebrow.

“Like this.” Gary said.

I was NOT prepared for what was coming next, but it was fairly cliché. He quickly grabbed me by the shoulders and stole a kiss off me. After pulling me in, he cupped my face and started kissing softer. On impulse I put my hands lightly on his shoulders and kissed back, not passionately, but not softly either.

A few moments later, Gary broke away and I took a step back.

“There. Now you’re even with Ashy boy. If you decide to keep going out with him, you can take satisfaction in knowing you got back at him. In fact, you went above and beyond because a kiss with Gary Oak is worth so much more than anything he could ever do with any girl.” Gary arrogantly smirked.

Only Gary could make a cliché moment the opposite of cliché. Not only did he attempt to kill the mood, he made sure a mood wasn’t created in the first place.

If this were any other guy but Gary, I would be angry and pondering what the hell that was. Not Gary though. It was his way of getting back at Ash, and showing he’s a total ladies man still, and making sure that this night of vulnerability was ended with his usual arrogance.

“Ready to face Ashy boy?” Gary asked, who was a few steps ahead of me as he had continued walking back to the gym.

“Coming.” I nodded, a smile on my face.

He was right. I did need that.