Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter two

I was wondering around the city this Saturday night, with no plans, but with $100 in my pocket. My mother had been having an affair with her rich boss for quite some while, and I made sure I was the one who profited from it.

I was maybe about 15 when this affair started. At the time I had no idea that was going on. I just remember every fortnight she’d try and get me out of the house. Because I had no friends, she would just give me $20 to go to the arcade.

One night the arcade shut down early, due to power failures in the city. Not knowing what was going on at home, I walked into the dark house, and walked into my mother’s room to ask how long the power had been out.

…thank god it was a power out that night, and not some other reason for the arcade closing.

I resent my mother for having an affair with someone who’s married, I really do. She sat me down and gave me the ‘birds and the bees’ speech, and stated she got very frustrated sexually after not having her husband around for 10 years.

I would have been okay with just handing me money to pretend to be ignorant, but she thought she was doing the ‘right’ thing by going into details to me. If she wanted to do the right thing and keep her conscience clear, she wouldn’t sleep with a married man in the first place.

Now that I was a bit older and understood how badly they needed the house cleared, and how many lives I could ruin by opening my mouth and telling the people about the affair, I upped my prices. I got $100 every second Saturday night.

Sometimes I’d go out to a nice restaurant if I couldn’t think of something I needed to buy. Sometimes I’d go on a shopping spree. Sometimes I’d buy myself a modest dinner and just go to a park to do homework.

Mother and I didn’t get along very well, as you may be able to notice. It’s not that we fought or argued or disagreed on anything, but we just rarely spoke. We ate dinner separately, and we stayed in our rooms mostly. Talk was only when it was needed, and it was kept bare minimum.

I know that deep down; she blames me for dad leaving. It’s not that she thinks I’m a horrible person and it’s my entire fault, but she blames HERSELF for him leaving, and that reason was I. Whether she felt guilty that I was born into a household that lost it’s head of the household or that she just couldn’t bear to look at the thing that caused her husband to get bored I’m not sure. But we’ve never shown affection.

Between having no friends, and having no family you could now easily see why I was so bitter.

But anyway, back onto topic, I found myself outside an arena tonight. There was a small Pokémon championship going on. The rest of the town was deserted because of it. It was fun walking around an almost ghost town for a while, but the novelty wore off.

I checked my watch. It was 8pm; I still had at least 4 hours until I was allowed home (12am was the earliest I was allowed home, but out of guilt mum gave me no curfew for this once a fortnight event)

As much as I hated Pokémon battles, it would give me something to do. It was literally go into this warm arena and stare off into space for 4 hours, or go to a cold park and stare off into space for 4 hours. I’d have to up my prices because of this.

I headed inside, and found a spot for one at the front. It was nearly packed, but there were lots of one seats left.

There was a girl just a tad bit older than me who was in the seat next to mine. She definitely wasn’t from around here. She gave me a smile, and I smiled warmly back just as she turned back to the match.

I saw who was competing. It was that doofus Cole, against some kid who was unknown to me.

The unknown kid had just KO’ed Cole’s Pokémon.

“What a smashing move! Ash Ketchum has just defeated Cole’s second last Pokémon. With Ash having lost just one Pokémon, can Cole defeat all of Ash’s Pokémon with his last one?” the announcer boomed into his microphone.

“Ohh, so that’s Ash Ketchum.” I said aloud to no one, but the girl heard me.

“Yep, it sure is.” The girl next to me said.

“I absolutely hate his opponent, Cole. Can’t stand the guy. But he said if he wins this match, he’d leave this town forever to start his Pokémon career. I never thought I’d say this, but I’m going for Cole.” I said to the girl.

“Do you really want him to make it big though? Imagine if he got a sponsorship deal with an advertiser or something. You’d see him everywhere, it would be torture if you dislike the guy a lot.” The girl pointed out.

“You’re right!” I gasped, changing my mind.

I then jumped out of my seat, and put my hands to my mouth to try and make my voice sound louder.

“GO ASH!!!! YOU CAN BEAT COLE!!!! WOOOOO!!!! GO ASH!!!!” I shouted, as loudly as I could.

My voice was loud enough, as this Ash person looked over to where the voice was coming from. He saw me, and looked confused because he obviously had no idea who I was. He mouthed a ‘thank you’ to me, and waved. I blew him a kiss, just to tease Cole who was watching the scene in front of him. He was fuming, but the blow kiss made Ash blush.

Ash recalled his Bayleef, and his Pikachu jumped off his shoulders as Cole sent out a Squirtle. What.an.idiot on Cole’s behalf.

Ash only had to use thunderbolt against Cole’s weak Squirtle, which immediately beat him, meaning the world was safe from Cole for another day.