Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter twenty five

“So would you count this as another date?” I asked Gary, cocking up an eyebrow.

“I don’t know. Would you?” Gary asked, as we walked out of the restaurant.

“Well, usually. You paid for dinner, that’s a date-like gesture I guess. But I have a boyfriend, so I wouldn’t say it is.” I frowned.

“You had a boyfriend last time, and we both agreed that was a date.” Gary arrogantly pointed out.

“Shut up, that was different.” I whined.

“Tch, user.” Gary bitterly said, but then smirked at the end to show he was joking. Or at least half joking.

“Well I’m going to call this a date. It’s nearly the same circumstances as the first one. Ash deserted you, I asked you to hang out, and I paid for dinner. It’s a date m’dear.” Gary stated.

“Fine okay. It’s a date.” I smiled, shaking my head softly at his actions.

“Do you want to go find some trainers to battle?” Gary asked me.

“M-me battling? I’ve only ever battled wild Pokémon, and that battle with you. I don’t think I’m confident enough.” I stuttered.

“Aw come on Lily, you’ll do fine. We’ll go to route 2, there’s weaker trainers there compared to the schoolboys on route 1. You’ll be fine.” Gary stated.

“Do we have to?” I asked unsurely.

“Yes. We do. How about we call out your three Pokémon and we get their opinions?” Gary asked me.

“Well, okay. If they want to battle, then it’s only fair I guess.” I shrugged.

I got the three Pokéballs out of my handbag, and threw them to the ground, catching them on their way back up as three familiar figures appeared.

“Let me ask them, after all I am the one with the unbiased view.” Gary arrogantly smirked, jumping in front of me to address my Pokémon.

He cleared his throat, before addressing the Eevee, Shellder and Rattata before him.

“Hi everyone. I think it would be great for both all of you and your trainer, Lily’s confidence if she were to do a few battles tonight. So what do you say? Do it for Lily.” Gary said, in a motivational speech to the Pokémon.

“Hey! You said you were unbiased! You were meant to be ASKING the Pokémon, not persuading them!” I argued.

“You’re right, I am biased. I care about you, and I want you to begin battling to raise your confidence, as well as make your Pokémon happier and your bond stronger.” Gary shrugged.

Eevee then began to yap at Gary’s feet, jumping up on him and yapping loudly.

“Does this mean you want to battle?” Gary asked Eevee, who jumped up and down happily, before jumping up on me.

“I guess that’s a yes.” I concluded.

Rattata then followed Eevee’s actions, obviously to indicate that he too was happy to battle other trainers.

Shellder however, only showed he still disapproved of his old trainer by blowing bubbles angrily at Gary.

“Sorry, it’s two against one, you have to battle.” Gary grinned at Shellder, being unphased from Shellder’s attack.

Shellder however, was not going to take that lying down. Instead, he began to tackle at Gary’s legs. It was stopped however, by Eevee’s barking. Eevee was talking to Shellder, and after a while it seemed it was trying to convince Shellder of Gary’s plan.

Slowly Shellder went silent, but jumped up and down to indicate nodding it’s head.

“Hot diggity damn, let’s go!” Gary announced, grabbing me by the hand and leading me to the way out of Viridian City.

Problem was, even after we were on the right track, I didn’t let go. He didn’t, either.

***

I was battling against a bug catcher, and we agreed a one on one battle. He sent out a Beedrill, whilst I chose Shellder, knowing its keenness to fight after Eevee convinced him to.

Right now it was hard to say who would win. Neither type was stronger nor weak against each type, so it was strategy and strength, which would win the match.

The bug catcher had been ordering a lot of Fury Swipes, which did give some damage to Shellder, as it would continually swipe each move. However, Shellder was now able to drown Beedrill out by using water gun.

“Beedrill! Use Twineedle!” The bug catcher ordered.

I knew nothing about Twineedle, other than it was Beedrill’s signature move. If Water Gun was effective against Fury Swipes, it would be against Twineedle, which sounded similar to Fury Swipes.

“Shellder, just keep using water gun buddy!” I shouted at him.

Shellder nodded, and sent gushing water towards Beedrill. Beedrill however, had learned how to dodge, and was able to still hit Shellder twice.

The damage from the move was not too strong, however because it had hit twice, Shellder took quite a blow.

After a few seconds, damage from the moves was not the only thing that occurred to me. Shellder was still on the ground, looking quite ill.

“Shellder? What’s wrong?” I asked nervously to my ill Pokémon.

“Lily, it’s been poisoned.” Gary shouted out to me.

“WHAT?? POISONED?” I asked, turning behind me to face him, and he only sent me a guilty looking nod, knowing he was bearing the burden of bad news.

“Oh my god! Shellder I’m SO sorry! I shouldn’t have agreed to battle. This is all my fault!” I cried, running onto the battle field to clutch my ill Shellder “I forfeit the match, you win.”