Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter twenty nine

After showering, I felt a little better. I was still annoyed at myself for getting so attached to Gary, but my bitter personality just shrugged it off as a mistake, and a lesson to be weary in the future.

I was nearly going to pick up the phone and talk to Misty about it, but then I realised that might be a bad idea. Misty was a good friend of mine, but she was also a good friend of Ash’s. Even if she didn’t mean to tell him, she might slip up. I needed to speak to somebody impartial, who didn’t know Ash, or at least very well. But as I had no real friends back home in Saffron, I would just keep quiet and deal with my dilemma by myself.

So instead after my shower, I got changed into laze around clothes and headed down to the kitchen, where Mr. Mime was cooking breakfast, with Delia’s help.

“Just in time, Mr. Mime is almost done!” Delia cheerfully told me.

I sent a forced smile (which luckily was passed off as realistic enough) and went to the kitchen to grab the plates to set the table.

“Oh you don’t have to worry about that!” Delia stated.

“May as well. Got to feel useful.” I shrugged, putting the plates onto the table and grabbing the cutlery needed.

Delia did not reply as she sat opposite me, with Mr. Mime coming over and dishing out the food, before putting the cooking utensils into the kitchen and walking over to Delia.

“Mime! Mr. Mime!” He said to Delia.

“Aw thank you Mimey, don’t work too hard! I’ll be out there soon!” Delia cheerfully said to her Mr. Mime, who looked happy as he bounded out into the garden.

“What a sweet thing. He said he’ll get started onto the gardening whilst we eat breakfast.” Delia said.

“That’s great.” I faux cheerily replied, grabbing a piece of scrambled egg and shoving it into my mouth for an excuse not to talk.

“You and Gary Oak seem to be getting close. It’s nice.” Delia commented on.

Guilt consumed me, and I suddenly felt nervous that Delia knew Gary and I had something going on that we shouldn’t have. I however, knew the best thing to do was to keep calm, and not look suspicious.

However, Aha! A venting ground. If I vented to Delia, it would make her think I don’t like Gary, but I would also finally have someone to vent to. Two birds with one stone!

“I guess we were becoming good friends. But he admitted to me he only sees me as someone to kill time with, rather than a true friend. So yeah…end of that chapter.” I mumbled bitterly.

“Aw are you serious? But that’s something friends are for, to hang around with. Maybe you misinterpreted it wrong.” Delia suggested.

“I don’t think so. Gary Oak doesn’t do friends.” I replied.

“Well, he used to be Ash’s friend a long time ago.” Delia stated.

I whipped my head around to meet her gaze.

“What?” I asked, unsure I heard correctly.

“They were friends until a year before their Pokémon journey. They used to play everyday, they were very close. I never got the entire story out of Ash, but he came home from fishing one day and was never friends with Gary again. They got into some little fight, it seems. If you and Gary didn’t get into any sort of fight, I’m sure he still considers you a friend. Gary is a very sweet boy once you get to know him, but he can be arrogant and perhaps you misinterpreted him.” Delia stated.

“Maybe.” I mumbled, not taking her consolation seriously.

“It’s a shame. Ash hasn’t been around, you need someone to keep you company.” Delia informed me.

“I guess…I have my Pokémon though!” I quickly defended.

Delia looked at me and smiled.

“You’re in denial, it’s quite cute. One day you’ll see though.” She smiled at me.

I only lifted an eyebrow in response. I had an inkling I knew what she was hinting at, and was scared that my words and actions might give it away.

“Just like one day Ash will see. Ash is the apple of my eye; he’s the apple of his father’s eye. Ash is sweet like Gary. However, I don’t think he’s quite matured enough to have a girlfriend, especially one like you. I admit, him running off to the Pokémon league was a little wrong, especially refusing for you to come along. I also had a small chat with Misty on the phone a few days ago and she raised concerns about what she had heard happened at Brock’s party. I won’t go into details, but Misty is a mature young lady and I agree with everything she feels.” Delia stated.

“Oh.” I replied, realising the delicacy of the situation and once again decided to remain silent.

“Ash may be my son, but you’re a very nice girl. I’d hate to see you end up in heartbreak, so it’s a little disappointing you and Gary didn’t end up together.” Delia admitted.

“Wouldn’t it be more heartbreak for your son to see his girlfriend go for his rival? More boys will come in my life.” I shrugged, remaining fairly apathetic.

“Maybe in the short term. It wouldn’t be heartbreak for him anyway. He’d be angrier his rival stole his girlfriend than he would be heartbroken about it. But in time he would mature and realise that you and Gary made a better match, and would be happy for you as a friend.” Delia explained.

“So what you’re saying is, you would be okay if Ash and I broke up, and Gary and I got together?” I asked, making sure I wasn’t misunderstanding her.

“Yes sweetie. Ash may be my son as I said before, but that doesn’t mean you should be miserable. You’re a beautiful young lady with a kind heart. You and Ash are simply not meant to be, at least not in this phase of his life. It may hurt Ash to begin with, but I know my son, and in time he would be happy for you both. You should do what’s right for you.” Delia said.

“Hm…okay. I’ll ponder it. I wouldn’t dump Ash for Gary straight away, that’s just cruel. I want to let down Ash as lightly as I can, because Ash still means a lot to me, he’s a great friend. I’d like to be there for him when he does mature and finds the perfect girl for him one day.” I smiled, feeling a huge weight lift off my shoulders.

“That’s a good attitude honey. You seem to now be a lot happier and I’m glad for you. I hope we can still be friends after everything that will happen.” Delia smiled back.

Before I could reply, Mr. Mime arrived in the kitchen and panic rose in me as I realised who was accompanying him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really miss old school Pokemon, the original series. There's nothing wrong with the new one, it just doesn't come with the nostalgia and great memories the original series brings. I hate to be one of those idiots who only reflects on the past and says it's better than now, but it reminds me of the good times of a decade ago, just like something from now will make me smile in a decade because of the great memories within it.