Sweet Child O' Mine

Describing Your Own Reflection

It was the feeling of something empty. Something where only one thing, or one person can fill. But in my case, nothing could fill it, or cure it.

I was missing something in my life and it sure isn't something that everyone thinks it is.

Sixteen years ago, my mother, Maria died, giving birth to me, and my twin sister, Halley. Even though I didn't know her, it's sad thinking about her everytime someone brings her up, or I see her picture on the mantal on top of the fire place.

She had blonde hair that laid perfectly on her shoulders.

Her right eye, was dark green and showed when she was mad. I've heard from some people that you could tell when she was mad. The dark green eye would get dark enough to where you could mistake it as black. They told me, that was when you knew to back away from her.

Her left eye, wasn't green. It was a bright blue and it showed if she was happy. My Uncle, once told me, that when Halley and I were born that my mother's blue eye was so bright, that it looked like the green one was about to turn blue also.

He also told me, that if she was still alive, I would be the spitting image of her.

My hair, also blonde, was a little longer than my shoulder. But not much. It wasn't like I was trying to look anything like my mom, but it seemed like once it grew to my shoulder, it would stop and wouldn't grow again until I got it cut.

I sometimes think it's a sign. Or maybe it's something else.

Shy and mature. They'd say was her personallity. They also say its mine.

Halley says she envys me. She says I have some sort of connection with her because I resemble her in everyway.

"I only got the nose, but you got everything." It was true that she had a short stuby nose with freckles sprinkling across the bridge of it. I, got a big, sort of pointy nose.

The subject of my mother was a sore subject to me. And I really have no idea why.

Everytime someone would bring her up, I'd excuse myself and go up to my room and do something that would take my mind off of her.

Halley doesn't seem too sensitive about it. She's usually the one asking all the questions and wanting to here more stories about her.

Halley and I, are different. Yes, we have the same DNA. And Yes we have the same parents. But when were together, you wouldn't be able to tell we were twins, or even related.

She liked to be rebellious. Try new things. Get into trouble. Whatever.

I liked to get good grades, and never break the rules.

Even though the differences, we seem to share a bond that nothing, or no one, could break. We care for each other, more than anyone can think they can care for someone.

I guess it's because we both think we need to be the mother figure for each other.

I'm the only that really tells her to do her homework so she can pass school.

She's the only one that tells me to get out and live my life.

Halley usually listens to me and does her work, but I, never listen to her.

I don't need an outside 'life' to be happy.

She doesn't think so.

Halley was extremely talented at guitar. It wasn't something she had to try for, it was something she was born with.

I was extremely smart. But unlike Halley, I had to work for it.

Constantly studying, or always doing extra credit work, whatever to get my grade higher, and my brain fuller.

Halley had brown eyes.

Brown hair.

And weird fingers.

Everything that could describe my dad.

It seemed like when we were in my mother's womb, all his DNA jumped right over me, and landed on my sister, who I unfortunately was laying on top of.

I looked nothing like my father, and I act nothing like him.

My name's Kayla Haner.

And I was born with a father who doesn't care.