Sweet Child O' Mine

Hating What You're Known For The Most

Vile Verses.

A band that only plays at ran down bars, and places that are so smoshed you can feel the person next to you sweat.

The band had great potential. Knew how to keep a person watching, whether it was putting in numerous good solos, or putting on a good stage performance.

The bad bars they played at, definitely didn't measure up to how awesome they are.

Halley is the lead guitarist of VV. Her skills could probably measure up to any famous guitar god. And I'm not just saying that because she's my sister.

Sometimes, I ask Halley why she likes playing in half-ass bars. She'd reply with a few simple words.

"Just because."

She'd tell me while I was doing my calculus homework. I could do math easily, but when she says that, I usually have no clue what she means.

My dad likes to come and see her play. Though, she does make him dress up in a sweatshirt, a hat, and a pair of sunglasses.

I couldn't tell you how many times we've seen her play, and the bouncers had to stop him and check to see if he was some sort of terrorist.

I think it's a little weird too, but Halley wants to make sure that no one knows she's related to him. Brian Haner. Synyster Gates. My dad.

&&&&

It was a Friday night, and I was sitting on my bed in a blue fitted t-shirt. Halley stood in front of the mirror fixing her make-up, for what she said, was the last time.

"Does it look ok?" I looked away from the window and at the mirror. I nodded and pushed a strand of hair behind my ears.

Halley smiled, and walked over towards the door, opening it and waving for me.

"Come on, it starts at 8."

Picking up my feet from the bed, I walked to the door and into the hallway. Halley followed, closing the door after me.

I began walking downstairs, walking past the little stand with purple flowers in it.

The purple flowers, were supposed to represent Unity. It was a gift from my Aunt Martha a while back when I was 10 years old. She told me that our family is United in so many different ways, even if you can't see it.

Halley walked passed me up, beginning to walk down the stairs with extra bounce in her step. Her brown hair was curled, falling half-way down her back. You could see the little bleached pieces flying everywhere.

When we got downstairs, all of our Uncles sat on the couch. Each wearing a dark sweatshirt, a baseball hat, and a pair of sunglasses in hand, besides Uncle Matt, who liked to wear his sunglasses everywhere. I still have no clue why.

"Hey!" Hailey beamed, walking over towards Uncle Zacky who was sitting at the end of the couch. "We have to hurry, it starts in about 30 minutes."

Everyone nodded, rising up from their seat and walking towards the door.

I stood behind everyone, waiting for them to leave so I could turn off the light, and lock the door.

I guess over the past few years, that's been my job. To stand in the back and to not be noticed.

&&&&

"You did awesome!" My dad yelled, proud of Halley as he braced her into a tight hug. Halley smiled, returning the hug.

When my dad let go, all of our Uncles, Maddi and Kita, who decided to meet us there, tackled her for a hug.

Halley stuck her head over Uncle Johnny's shoulder, who she just happens to be a little bit taller than, and smiled over at me.

I smiled, graciously, back at her before mouthing 'you did great'.

She winked back and went to give Kita a hug, thanking her for coming to her show.

"It isn't a problem, doll." She laughed, tapping her back before releasing her. "Really, I had a great time. And you did awesome!"

After everyone was done, I took my rightful spot in the back, next to Maddi, who just so happened to be my mother's sister.

Maddi wrapped and arm around my shoulder and grinned, bumping her head against mine in a friendly matter.

"What's up kid?"

I simply shrugged and pushed a piece of blonde hair out of my eye, wrapping it around the back of my ear.

"She's bummed school starts in 2 days." Halley said, as she came up behind me and patted me back twice.

I laughed ramming my shoulder into hers jokingly.

"You mean that's you?" I smiled.

"Oh, yeah." She grinned. "I'm stuck in school for another 2 years. But you have enough credits to graduate this year."

I began rubbing my arms, wishing the short sleeved blue t-shirt would be long sleeved. No one knew the real reason why I had some many credits, no one knew why I wanted to get out of my house so bad.

"Come on everyone. Let's go out for something to eat." Dad said, coming over to Halley and wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

Everyone nodded, mumbled a couple of things before leaving.

Dad and Halley were standing in front of me, Halley smiling and turning around to walk out. My father, looking at me for a few seconds, no expression on his face, turned around and walked out.

Leaving me standing there in the back, once again, not to be noticed.