Sweet Child O' Mine

Circle Circle, Dot Dot

When I was younger, Uncle Zacky always used to tell me to never waste my breath on someone that wasn't worth saying anything to. Like when the boys in 4th grade told me I couldn't play Capture the Flag with them because if I touched the flag they would get cooties.

I followed Uncle Z's advice then, and I still follow it now. Though, occurences like getting cooties from capture the flag doesn't always happen anymore.

"What did you do?" Dad yelled, running from his spot from the couch in the living room over to Halley and I. I was currently helping her walk because she was holding her head back and it was making it harder to see where she was walking.

"I-I-I accidentally hit her with the car door." I mumbled, helping him walk her into the kitchen.

He sighed, deeply, placing her gently in the dark wook chairs surrounding the island.

"Halley, baby, I'm going to need you to let go of your nose for a second." She barely nodded, but you could mistake the nod for an involuntary twitch. When she let go of her nose, Dad looked around the red area. Areas of dry blood covered the nasal holes, and bruising already started forming. "Kayla get me some ice."

Doing what I was supposed to do, I walked over to the refridgerator and opened the freezer. I grabbed a few pieces of ice and hurried to get towel to place the ice in. Put the whole time the ice was slowly melting into nothing on my hand, I couldn't help but question if Dad would help me if my nose was injured. Would he demand Halley to get ice for him if I get hit in the nose by a door.

"Kayla, now." He snapped. I hurried, wrapping he ice in the towel and scurried back over to them. Dad snatched the ice out of my hand, not even looking at me. He put the ice close to her nose, not touching it. "I'm going to put the ice on your nose, tell me if it hurts."

She 'twitched' again, and Dad moved his hand torwards her nose. When the ice came in contact with her nose, her body jumped while a horrible groan came from her nose.

"Stop Dad. It hurts so bad." She sniffed, tears draining out of her closed eyes.

I turned around, not being able to watch Halley going through pain. She was usually the one who would never get injured, and if she did, she would blow it off like nothing happened. I was the one who cried when I fell and got a bruise. I was the one who thrashed everywhere when the gave me stitches.

I was the problem.

&&&&

"What time is it?" Uncle Johnny mumbled into his hands.

I like down at the purple watch on my wrist and sighed. "9:45"

He raised an arm and looked at me. I shrugged shrinking down into my chair even more before.

After Dad tried to put ice on Halley's nose to keep down the swelling, he thought it was a must to go to the emergency room ASAP to get her nose checked and make sure it wasn't broken. He also thought that the whole family had to be here while she was getting X-Rays.

"What time is it now?"

I sighed, rubbing one of my eyes. I was tired, I wasn't going to lie. And knowing I still had a bunch of homework needing to be finished at home, and I have to wake up early in the morning the next day, didn't make me to happy.

"One minute since the last time you asked me."

"9:46?"

"Yes Uncle Johnny, 9:46."

He muttered some words under his breath and turned over, he brought his feet towards his chest and it almost resembled the fetal position.

"Here you go." I looked up from Uncle Johnny and at Maddi. She smiled brightly, handing a brown cup towards me. "It's Hot Chocolate because I know you don't do the whole coffee thing."

I smiled back at her, thankful someone payed attention that much.

"Maddi," I whispered, blowing on the tasty concoction.

"Yes darling." She smiled.

"Will you please take me home." I begged. She looked down at me and sighed. I knew what she was going to say. I had a strong feeling what she was about to say.

"I would, but you know your father-"

"Would go bananas if he found out I left since I hurt Halley."

She smiled sympathetically at me before sipping on her own coffee. I knew it was my fault that I hurt Halley. I knew that I should have just stayed inside the car like she asked.

"Why don't you follow Johnny's example? Sleep until your father comes at."

I looked at her before turning over to my side, facing the hallways and hallways of the hospital.

"It's not broken, thank god."

Dad was standing in the center of the hallways, Halley at his side with his arm around her. She attempted to smile but the white of the bandage wrapped inabled her from doing so.

"That's good," Uncle Johnny said groggily as he woke up from his little nap. Dad and Halley both nodded, before walking over to the hospital exit.

"We'll see you guys tomorrow." Dad nodded, patting Johnny on the back as he stumbled towards the exit.

"Alright."

"Bye Maddi." I smiled as I took the hot chocolate up and over towards my father and sister.

"Bye doll."

When I walked outside, Dad had a cigarette out and in his mouth, ready to be lit. I rolled my eyes, hating the fact that he smoked.

"Why did you have to start smoking." I mumbled, thinking it wasn't loud.

"Why did you hit Halley with a door?"

That's when I thought Uncle Zacky's advice was the best I've ever received.