Sweet Child O' Mine

Psycho-Therapist

I wanted comfort. I needed comfort. And the comfort that I had to have was substituted for whatever was laying under my head. I pushed harder into the soft material, my head resting carelessly, and my eyes shut tight, nothing seeping through the thin slits. I breathed deeply, letting warm air rest over my comfort and opened my eyes, watching rays of soon helplessly attack my eyes.

"Good morning Kayla."

My body jumped, not knowing anyone else was in the room. I sat up all the way, my lips dry and I looked down at what my head was laying on. My substitute comfort. But, it wasn't anything close to comfort. My dark blue sweat-shirt was it, and if you looked close enough you could see little patches of wet spots from drool that escaped my mouth.

"Kayla." I looked back at the voice. The voice of my Psychology Teacher, Ms. Reynolds. She smiled as a gave her a confused look, showing off her pearly whites.

Ms.Reynolds wasn't like your average teacher. Actually, many students wanted to have her as a teacher because she was so down to earth. Not being able to be over the age of 25 at least. Her brown curls went down to her back, and her green eyes were bright every time the sun was directed perfectly at them.

I wiped my mouth with my thumb and fore-finger before pushing my hair behind my ear, awkward with the situation.

"You slept through the whole class." She nodded, one of her curls falling in front of her tan face. She made a move to push it behind her ear before wiggling her head some. The piece of hair then took it's original spot.

"I-I'm sorry." I stuttered, blinking rapidly. Out of my whole school, not just high school, I have never fell asleep in a class.

She smiled, showing her white teeth once again. But something was different. Her eyes. They starred intently at me, like she was trying to read me. Like I was some sort of book waiting for someone to understand me.

"Ms. Haner-" She said, pushing her chair back with her feet, she stood up and looked down at me. Her head tilted somewhat. "Something tells me, you don't usually sleep in class? Or am I just getting the wrong impression."

I sat there, staring at her before my shoulders slumped down giving the impression I was shrugging.

She raised an eyebrow while she bit the side of her lip. Her hands ran down her turquoise shirt, then down her holy jeans, like she was trying to rid dirt that might of attracted to the expensive pieces of clothing.

"Follow me," She flicked her wrist, turning around and walking up to her desk.

I waited a couple of seconds, before getting up and walking slowly, but surely over to her desk. She pointed to the chair in front of it, and I quickly took a seat.

"When I was in college-"She began "I was a teaching assistant for another Psych. teacher who was about as old as dinosaurs." Ms.Reynolds laughed leaning on the desk, her the gaps in between her hands pushing together. "Anyways, I was in her class for a day, y'know, taking notes on how she was teaching what needed to be taught. She was very wise. And after the first two days, all the Psych. teachers had a meeting. I, of course, was required to go."

I leaned back in my seat, making myself comfortable thinking that her story would take a while to get through.

"I was the first one there, and right after me was the Psych. teacher I was analyzing. And for a few minutes we sat across each other. She starred at me, the whole time, and I was starting to get very uncomfortable. I looked away and I heard her laugh. I turned back towards her and she stretched her arm out and began to say-" She coughed a few times, before turning into a higher pitched voice. "Hi, my name's Dorothy, and hunny I can read you like a book."

Blinking hastily, I watched as Ms.Reynolds unfolded her hands and smiled. What was the point of her story? Was she trying to tell me her experiences with crazy, old ladies?

"When I was analyzing that class, was the roughest time of my life. I lost my father, and I found out my mother had cancer. It was then that I barely opened up. I never talked to anyone and never knew how bad for me it was to keep those emotions bottled up. Somehow, she figured that out. She knew that I used to be some bright and bubbly child until events happened to me. And I still thank Dorothy silently everyday for opening me up. Because honestly, if she didn't I wouldn't have the guts to get back on my to feet and apply for this job."

I nodded, still awkward with her talking to me. I've known her for 2 days, and she's already telling me her life story.

"Kayla, can I ask why you did sleep in my class?"

I gulped inwardly, not sure how to answer her. If I said it was because I broke my sister's nose, would I give her the wrong impression of me? Or if I lied to her and said I was bored, would she send me to the principal and think of me as a liar? I opened my mouth, ready to respond with whatever my mind would decide was the right thing to do, but my voice wouldn't produce any sound.

Ms.Reynolds raised an eyebrow leaning forward again.

I pushed harder deep in my throat wanting any sound to come out, even if it made me look even dumber than what I looked now.

"You don't have to answer my question if you don't want to. I'll let you off the hook this once." She winked. " But Kayla, if you need to talk to about anything, don't hesitate to walk in the ugly painted door and talk to me." She laughed.

"I don't need to talk about anything, I'm perfectly fine." I said, fast. At the time I didn't want to answer my voice worked and all I wanted to do was cut it out and auction it on eBay.

Ms.Reynolds, still leaning forward, staring at me. Analyzing me once again.

"Hi, my name's Ms.Reynolds, and hunny I can read you like a book."