Better Off

And Darkness Is Real

"Shit... Shit shit shit," Raphe said as the door closed. Homecoming was in three days? What was she going to do with Amelia and Camdon? She sighed and slid down the wall to sit on the floor.

"Fuck," she whispered. What was she thinking? She couldn't afford to pay for herself, let alone two other people! The rent was three weeks late, and her landlord was getting pissed off. How was she going to feed her siblings?

She put her head in her hands. She knew she'd done the right thing, but where did she go from here?

And what if her parents called the police? They probably wouldn't, but she could never predict what they were going to do. And what if they found her?

Another knock sounded at the door, and she stood up warily, opening the door a little. She breathed a sigh of relief when it was Frankie again.

"Hey, what-" she began, but she was cut off by his lips crashing into hers. She froze for a moment, bewildered, but soon relaxed, bringing her hands up to thread through his blonde hair. His strong arms wrapped around her small waist, sending chills down her spine. Their breath came in ragged gasps as they fought for dominance of the kiss. She let him take it as he gently pushed her against the wall.

"Raphie?" she heard Amelia say as Frankie's tongue entered her mouth. She reluctantly broke off to see her sister grinning in the doorway. Frankie stared at Raphe, apparently not having heard the small child.

"Who are you? I'm Amelia, I'm six. Raphie is my sister. Who are you? Why were you kissing my sister? Do you love her? Are you getting married? What-"

"Amelia! Why don't you go watch Spongebob?" Raphe said, her face turning red.

"Okay!" Amelia said, skipping toward the living room. Frankie looked at Raphe, obviously confused.

"Who's that?" he asked cautiously, still very close to her. Raphe shook her head, staring at the carpet.

"My sister... Amelia." Frankie frowned.

"I thought you said-"

"I lied."

Frankie stepped back slightly, running his fingers through his hair. He bit his lip again, and she placed a hand to her own bruised ones.

"So... Is this the... I'm so confused," he admitted, smiling slightly and blushing. She smiled back timidly.

"Um... Let's go in here," she said quietly, taking his hand and leading him to the kitchen. They both sat at the table, instinctively leaning towards each other. Raphe could feel the raw energy between them, urging her to touch him, to bring her lips to his again...

She resisted, balling her hands into fists and sighing.

"So..." Frankie began, reaching a hand out to her hesitantly. He seemed to think better of it, and dropped his hand to rest it on his thigh.

"So," Raphe repeated, shifting uncomfortably. She rested her head in her hands, squeezing her eyes closed. She did not want to explain this right now... She never wanted anyone to know. She didn't even want to remember...

"Why is your sister living with you?" Frankie asked, his voice barely over a whisper. "When did she start living here? And why did you lie to me?"

"I lied because I didn't want to relive... my past. She... and my brother, Camdon, for that matter, are living with me because I couldn't leave them with my parents. I picked them up last night." Raphe explained, leaving out as many details as possible. Tears threatened to spill onto her cheeks, but she swiped them away with the back of her hand.

She felt Frankie pull her auburn hair away from her face, sweeping it over her shoulder. She kept her face carefully hidden from view. Her eyes would give her away, and she couldn't afford to lose it now.

"What happened?" Frankie asked softly. Raphe shook her head. "You can tell me. It's okay, Raphe."

"No," she said, her voice cracking slightly. "Not here. Not now." His strong arms pulled her to his chest, embracing her frail figure. She relaxed into his embrace, breathing in his wonderful Frankie smell. A small sob escaped her body, and she hated herself for it.

"Will you tell me if we go somewhere more private?" he asked, his voice oddly soothing.