Better Off

Sealed With a Kiss

Raphe shrugged within the comfort of Frankie's arms.

"I don't know. Maybe. It's hard..." her voice cracked, and she berated herself for it. "It's hard to think about it." Her tears stung the wounds on her face, and she briefly wondered why Amelia hadn't mentioned it.

"Hey, Raphie?" a small voice said from the doorway. Raphe swiftly wiped her eyes and plastered a smile on her face.

"Yeah, Amelia?"

"I'm really really really REALLY hungry. Do you have anything other than crackers?" The girl bounced up and down to emphasize her point. Raphe shook her head sadly, a wave of guilt washing over her.

"No, honey, I don't. I'm sorry."

"What do you eat?" Amelia tilted her head to the side; Raphe felt her eyes widen.

"Oh, I eat at school. Um... go get dressed. I'll take you to McDonalds or something." Amelia beamed at her sister and skipped off joyfully.

"You don't..." Frankie murmured, his breath tickling her ear. Raphe jumped- she'd almost forgotten he was there.

"I don't what?" Her cheeks reddened. She knew exactly what he meant.

"You don't eat at school. You don't have food here... Raphe, are you starving yourself?" Raphe giggled nervously, avoiding eye contact.

"Of course not. Don't be a dumba-"

"Please don't lie to me." She shook her head, wincing as the newly-formed scabs on her face tightened. She hissed as Frankie's fingers brushed the wounds. He murmured an apology as he turned her to face him.

"Raphe..." He said her name almost like a prayer. "Please tell me." She contemplated it for a fraction of a second.

"No." There was no way she was going to tell him that she couldn't afford food, that this excursion with her siblings was going to drastically cut into the rent money, that she was financially fucked.

"Raphe, I know you're lying-"

"Then why do you keep asking me? You already know the answer." She snapped at him, attempting to jerk out of his grasp.

He shoved his lips against hers, and it felt like the bottom dropped out of her stomach. Despite herself, her frail arms wound around his torso, one on his neck, digging into his light hair, the other hand on his chest.

He pulled away from her lips, but pulled her body so his chin rested on the top of her head.

"I keep asking you because I care. I always have, Raphe. You just didn't notice." The two shared a sigh. She desperately hoped he'd dropped the subject.

"Why, Raphe?" he whispered. No such luck. She shifted uncomfortably, picking at a hole in her jeans.

"You wouldn't understand." Her words were almost inaudible.

"Try me."

"No... I know you wouldn't understand, Frankie. It's not something you've had to deal with. It's not something anyone you know has had to deal w-"

"My dad's a rock star. We live in Oakland. I know a lot of people." He said, trying to be encouraging. Raphe shrugged, causing his arms to slide up her torso. She tried to pull away, but he tightened his grip.

"Frankie, this is a bit extreme, don't you think?" she asked. He shook his head, ruffling her hair.

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do this." He must have taken her sharp intake of breath as a gasp of pain, because he loosened his grip slightly. "You okay?"

"Yeah... you just surprised me." He chuckled, stroking her long hair.

"Raphie, I've been ready for like three days," Amelia complained from the doorway. The two teenagers laughed and pulled apart.

"Let's go, then!" Amelia had obviously taken her time getting ready, even laying out shoes and socks for her sister. Raphe gaped at her intelligence once again.

"I'll see you later?" she asked Frankie as she sat on the floor to put on the sneakers Amelia had set out.

"Why, am I going somewhere?" He looked thouroughly confused.

"I just thought you'd be going back to school. Amelia, Cam, and I are going to Maccas." He nodded.

"Do you have transportation?" he asked. She stared at him blankly. He had her there.

"No." He grinned. "Do you have an infant seat?" His smile faltered, only to shine again as Amelia spoke up.

"It's okay, I brought it in from the car last night, remember Raphie?"

***

The ride to McDonald's was relatively quiet. Well... besides Amelia's constant chatter.

Halfway there, Frankie grabbed Raphe's hand and placed it under his on the shifter. She blushed and looked at her sneakers.

"And I want a pony and... AW, ARE YOU HOLDING HANDS???" Amelia all but shrieked. "Is he your boyfriend, Raphie?" Amelia asked, breathless and almost drooling. Raphe laughed and turned back to her sister. She was about to tell her that, no, Frankie was not her boyfriend when he himself cut in.

"Yeah. I am." Raphe gave a startled jump and looked at him quizzically. He glanced her way, suddenly looking anxious.

"That is... if it's okay with you," his voice had dropped to a whisper. A slow smile spread on Raphe's face.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'd like that." Amelia shrieked her excitement, making Camdon cry out.

Around twenty minutes later, Raphe, Frankie, and Camdon were sitting in a booth at the restaurant; Amelia was in the PlayPlace. Frankie had insisted on paying for their meals, and Raphe couldn't make herself stop thanking him and apologizing, even after she could see it was getting on his nerves a little. Finally he silenced her by pressing his lips against her own, and she forgot what she was saying...

"How long have you guys been married?" a woman asked them. Raphe looked up to see curious brown eyes staring at the two of them.

"Oh, we're not... I mean..." both teens stammered, looking away from each other.

"Oh, honey, you should! Think of the children! They'll be much more comfortable growing up in a house with married parents- oh, this one is so CUTE! He has your eyes, you know," the woman said to Frankie, who had now turned a deep scarlet.

"Um... Ma'am... This is my brother. We don't, um... We don't have kids," Raphe managed to stutter. The woman nearly fell over herself apologizing. A brief silence followed her departure.

"Well... that was quite awkward..." Raphe said, and Frankie nodded, a frown creasing his face.

"Especially after she said he had your eyes... Hey... What's wrong?" He bit his lip and shook his head, not looking at her.

"My parents were... separated for most of my life. The thing she said... about it being better if the parents were married... That kind of bothered me..." Raphe laid her head on his shoulder, and he smiled down at her. "But it's okay now. My dad has a girlfriend he really cares about... You should meet her sometime; you'd like her. Her name is Bianca." Raphe just smiled up at him.

"You're so beautiful... Now tell me what's going on with you and the eating thing." Raphe snorted at how quickly he'd changed subject.

"I don't want you to pity me. The last thing I need is pity." He nodded his agreement. "I can't afford it." Frankie's eyebrows knitted together, but he allowed her to finish. "My rent is way overdue; I just got fired; and now I have to find some way to feed two children."

He studied her eyes, and she gauged his reaction. He simply frowned for a while, then leaned in to kiss her forehead.

"Don't worry... It'll be okay," he whispered into her hair.

"Promise?"

"Promise." He tilted her head back and pressed his lips against hers, and all Raphe could think was...

Sealed with a kiss....
♠ ♠ ♠
SORRY FOR THE WAIT! it's been so long i can barely remember where i was going with this story...

god i wish i would have written this in first person...