Off the Wall

Chapter 16

“So,” Christie said. She was sitting at the wooden kitchen table yawning and stretching. She had just woken up around ten minutes ago. “What do you for fun around ol’ Slackille? It’s seem like there isn’t really that much to do.”

Charlie shrugged his shoulders. He was eating a bowl of Rice Kripsies. Chewing the food that was in his mouth, he swallowed. “Well, I mostly go skateboarding with Olive. You know, ‘cause he’s my best friend and all. But like we also go out to eat at restaurants, spend the night at each others’ house, and I don’t know, usual guy stuff I guess.”

Christie raised one of her white thin eyebrows at him. “Guy stuff?”

“You know what I mean.”

“Just kidding Charlie,” she replied back by laughing. “Don’t shoot me.”

“You don’t have to worry about that,” he said.

“So, do you want to go somewhere today or something? Like hang out?”

“Isn’t that what we’re doing right now?” Charlie asked.

“Well, yeah. But I mean like go somewhere.”

“Sure,” Charlie agreed. “Sounds good to me.” Looking at the time on his cell phone, he nearly jumped. It was already past noon. “I hate to leave you so soon, Chris, but I think I’m going to have to be leaving right about now.

“Oh,” she started. Her face fell and all the spark from her eyes were gone. “Well just give me a call when you decide on something.”

“I will,” Charlie promised. “I’m a man of my word.” He got up from his seat, walked over to Christie, and gave her a sloppy kiss on the cheek.

“Charlie!” She exclaimed, giggling loudly.

“Well bye,” he said, walking toward the door.

“Bye!”

Laughing, Charlie opened the door and walked out. Feeling satisfied, he smiled. Charlie walked all the way to his apartment on through the stairs with an extra bounce to his walk.

Life was good for Charlie Banks.