Off the Wall

Chapter 29

“Yesterday at the skate park Olive, you know my best friend or at least use to be best friend, and I got in this huge fight. He got pissed, I got pissed off, and I know we said things that we both are going to regret. Or at least I know I’m already sorry for saying them. But damn Chris, you just don’t know Olive like I do. We’ve been friends since elementary school, I know it’s been longer than twelve years. It’s just eating me up inside because Olive and I have never got into a fight. Never, not as long as our friendship. Ugh, Christie, it’s tearing me up inside,” Charlie finished with while letting out a heavy breath he didn’t even knew he had.

“Charlie, baby. Don’t let it get to you,” Christie said soothingly. She wrapped her hands around his neck and began rubbing his back. “Don’t laugh at me or anything, but wasn’t Olive that guy with the long black hair that was sitting with you at the skate park on the first day we met?”

“Yeah, that was him. Good ol’ Olive Sinclair.”

“Oh, don’t get mad or anything, but I thought he was a pothead.”

Charlie laughed. “Oh, I’m not. You should tell Olive that, he’d probably get a good laugh at that. I always tell him that he looks like Slater from Dazed and Confused.”

“I love that movie, haha. But back to the point Charlie, why did you two get in a fight in the first place?”

He grimaced. “Christie, if I told you, it might offend you or something.”

She looked at him. “I’m a big girl, I think I can handle it.”

Charlie lightly touched her cheek and smile sadly. “Olive was talking about you and how he thought you were using me and that you had way too much baggage and shit. He was totally accusing you of being too old for me. You know, usual shit that other people would have said. I told him that he was just jealous of our relationship. Ah, I’m so disappointed in myself. Of course I was livid that he was talking trash about you, but I just completely blew up at him. Not a good day for Charlie Banks, not at all.”

“Ugh Charlie, you can’t get mad like that when people talk about me,” Christie said. “Olive was just being a good friend and all. He was making sure that you weren’t being used, which you’re most certainly not,” she hastily added.

“I know Chris, but you weren’t there when he said it. I just lost my already too short fuse.”

“Sounds like a major bromance that you’re reminiscing about,” Christie said jokingly, her mouth contorted into a smirk.

“It’s not funny!” Charlie said hotly.

“I didn’t say it was,” she added defensively. “Instead of moping around on it, why don’t you just actually call him, meet him, or whatever and just go apologize.”

Charlie frowned. “Blah,” he muttered. “I wish it was that easy.”

“Why can’t it be that easy? Just suck up your pride and say I’m sorry.”

“Give me my phone.”

“Get it yourself.”

“Christie, please,” Charlie pleaded.

Christie heaved herself up from Charlie’s warm chest and reached over to the small table in front of the couch. Grabbing the phone, she sat back on his lap and looked at him. “Don’t be afraid.” She brushed away his fallen hair from his eyes and looked up at warmly. Her blue eyes were shining and Charlie felt his stomach do a few summersaults. He gave her a quick kiss on the lips before resuming his plan.

“I’m not afraid Christie, I have you.”