Off the Wall

Chapter 7

Charlie nearly choked. “You’re ex-husband?!”

Christie looked at him shamefully before pulling into the right lane. She drove the car through the small intersection and rolled the car into the large parking lot of the mall. She stopped the car and pulled the keys out. “Look, there’s a lot you don’t know about me.”

“I can tell,” Charlie said crossly.

“I don’t know why you’re getting an attitude.”

Charlie crossed his arms. “Well, I don’t know,” he said heatedly.

“Look,” Christie said. Her blue eyes were blazing and she seemed livid. “You have no reason to be pissed off at me. I’m nice enough to be your friend, welcome you into my new home, and even spend the day with you. I shouldn’t have to explain my whole past history to you if I don’t want to.”

Rolling his eyes, Charlie shook his head. He was mad at Christie. “I guess so. I just find it ludicrous that you’ve been married already and divorced.”

“Well do you want me to tell you are not?”

“Yes! I want you to tell me,” Charlie said out of breath. “It’s bugging me to death.”

“Well fine,” Christie said. “Where do I begin? Ah, yeah I know. It all started when I got out of high school. My mom kicked me out of the house and told me never to come back.”

“Why!” Charlie interrupted. “How could she do that?”

Christie’s expression darkened. “I don’t give a fuck what she says. She’s not my mother. No woman would treat her daughter like the way she treated me.”

Feeling the hostile and uncomfortable feelings from the conversation, Charlie softened up. He undone his seatbelt buckle and moved over the seat and closer to Christie. He wrapped an arm around her and she instantly fell into it. “It’s okay Christie, I’m here for you.”

“I’m just so sorry,” she said between sobs. “I don’t ever think about her, so I never expected to cry. Charlie, you just have no clue how she treated me.”

Rocking their bodies back and forth, Charlie had somehow managed to squeeze himself onto the driver seat with Christie. It was a tight, but surprisingly comfortable feeling, as if it was meant to be. “You don’t have to talk about her anymore. In fact, you don’t have to tell me anything else if you don’t want to.” Soothing her the best way he knew how to, he began rubbing her back.

Christie calmed down after a minute and she tried to restore herself. But just as she opened her mouth to say something, she broke down again. “Oh Charlie,” she muttered. “I’ve only known you for less than a day but I feel like I’ve known you forever.”

And with her last few words, they kissed.